Dan Diego

90 days in DC: Ride, rent or buy local?

A question for biz travelers:

I'm spending 90 days (soon) in our Nation's capital. Not for fun, either.

I have choices: I can ride out there (not preferred), I can rent a bike for weekend rides (there will be some holidays in there) or just buy something from Craigslist and sell it when I leave.

Who's done something like this and what advice can you provide?

Departing late September.

Put it out there on ADV regional that you're only going to be in town for a few months and I'd be shocked if someone doesn't step up and offer you a "rental" you can use while you're there or direct you to a local bike you can buy and resell.

I "rented" one of my bikes to a traveling student from ADVrider. He bought it from me, used it for six months and then sold it back to me for an agreed upon sum of money after he had it serviced. Worked out well for both of us.

Post up a transport request on ADV or U-Ship and see how much it would take to get your bike there. Eval a ride back or re-ship?

Geez, DC is only a three day ride for you. I say mob it!

I could do it in 2. That's 300 miles short of 2 IBA Bun Burners.

I did this trip solo at 16. I tried to make it through without sleep. I woke up several times bouncing down the grassy spillways( median ). Made it in little over 2 days driving a car. No forgiveness on a bike. Resting would be recommended.

post-14554-0-49270300-1408549173_thumb.j

I did this trip solo at 16. I tried to make it through without sleep. I woke up several times bouncing down the grassy spillways( median ). Made it in little over 2 days driving a car. No forgiveness on a bike. Resting would be recommended.

I've done quite a few IBA rides and have only fallen asleep on my bike once. In the middle of the Arizona desert to the sound of an 18-wheeler's horn. I was just 50 miles short of a 2k miler.

(http://ineverfinishanyth.blogspot.com/2011/06/usa-4-corners-tour-ride-report-may-25.html)

I am a recent fan of 5 hour energy drinks!

OK, so I'm here with the rest of the crooks in DC. Fixing what I can.

But I digress...

Looking at CL bikes, I found some reasonably-priced KLRs and a 1996 BMW R1100RS. All around $2500-3000.

Who knows about the Airhead? 26k miles with ABS. Am thinking of using it while I'm here then riding it back to SD in January.

I also have a Duck at my disposal. One of my co-workers refuses to ride her (that's what I said) Monster so I should put some miles on it.

So, who can comment on the Beemer?post-14554-0-94004800-1412529360.jpeg

Also, I wanted to mention that my office sucks.

I really liked my 1150 in a lot of respects but it's definitely an uninspiring, deliberate drivetrain. Of course if you're looking at klrs maybe slow, boring and industrial is a good fit.

Considering winter is right around the corner in the northeast I would ride the Duc and then save my money til I got home. Or keep an eye out for a smoking deal on a better bike once the snow flies.

Considering winter is right around the corner in the northeast I would ride the Duc and then save my money til I got home. Or keep an eye out for a smoking deal on a better bike once the snow flies.[/quote

Good points. I considered riding it back to SD, too. But I'll hold off and put some miles on her Duck.]

KTM, Ducati and BMW bikes? This whole time I thought you were a sensible, honest KLR Man.

You changed bro!!!

Where is your office? I hate the traffic back there.

Yeah, traffic sux. I metro almost everywhere. I work right by L'enfant Plaza. Heart of everything. If dirty politics is everything.

KTM, Ducati and BMW bikes? This whole time I thought you were a sensible, honest KLR Man.

You changed bro!!!

I know, I know...

Right now I'd settle for a HD. Just something to get out on on the weekends.

Gonna just borrow bikes until the weather gets bad.