Since my status has declined from Noob to Super-Noob, I have taken a couple of steps back. I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of posts to get more education and I've listened to all the good advice my wonderful brothers in my new community have given me. I'm starting over, in a sense, with all the right gear and a conscious effort to make myself slow down and imbed good riding habits.

post-15619-0-21394500-1403394243.jpg

I'm getting there, though. Forward progress, Ahoy!! :smile_anim:

Good attitude. Just ride your own pace and you'll be fine. Welcome back!

Good attitude... hope to see you out there soon.

Great stuff, Miriam. Don't be shy on posting up a ride as some of us enjoy a leisurely pace.....or whatever pace you set. Congrats on gettin' back out there!

Thanks guys!! I'm hesitant to post yet because I noticed last time that when I'm with a group I get too excited. I tend to want to watch you ride and I lose focus on myself. For now I need to stick to no more than 2 others. But if I know you might wanna go slow with me I'll PM you.

(I need my buddy ThumperBob back on the road)

Thanks guys!! I'm hesitant to post yet because I noticed last time that when I'm with a group I get too excited. I tend to want to watch you ride and I lose focus on myself. For now I need to stick to no more than 2 others. But if I know you might wanna go slow with me I'll PM you.

(I need my buddy ThumperBob back on the road)

I'm ready to ride Miriam. Pick a day.

keep in mind, may not help, and may not matter, but in my opinion and from experience "normal" wheeled bikes are easier to contol than those big tired/wheeled machines, ie CRF250X, WR250F, TE250/310 Husky etc.

"normal" wheeled bikes are easier to contol than those big tired/wheeled machines,

No kidding?? I had no idea!!

Being so small, it's not like I've ever gotten to ride anything else.

Is this like learning to drive on a stick shift piece of crap? Everything else will seem easy?

Really sux being so limited, size-wise.

u r are not limited by height, everything can be properly set up for your ergos whatever they may be.

for example a couple years back husky usa test built a te250L which was an inch or so lower than the standard machine, aimed at the shorter stature/women ds riders.

a good shop like local suspension 101/smart can do a lowering job and revalve the machine properly to adjust to the new lever ratios due to lowering. mostly all these ergo adjustments=$$ and of course more mod work =more $. however in many/most cases this means more smiles per mile and better control and safety.

even a more road oriented ds bike although heavy like a honda 250 or the suzuki same type model would offer low seat heights and easy to mange controls at reasonable prices. both with "normal" wheel sizes. food for thought. perhaps a trip to motoventures and a day on one of garys wr250s may help, but his bikes may be all set up as standard which will be tall for u.

u r are not limited by height,

I am limited, in the sense that I cannot just hop on different bikes and ride them to see how they differ, they way most guys can. That's what I meant. Of course, I know you can build anything if you have enough $$. I do not.

I am still pondering why the fatter tire doesn't= more stability? What makes the "normal" wheeled bikes easier? Science lesson, please :shiftyeyes_anim:

I have no real sci data. but perhaps fat tire is more stable, thats the point, less stable means more handling movement, make sense?

higher performance fighter planes are unstable, cargo planes are stable. F1 car unstable-toyota street car stable.

Fat tires go where they want thinner tires go where you want.

Again I would love to give real sci data here......I dont have it only that all the "real" bikes use "standard" wheel and tire sizes. which for offroad/enduro ar 21in fronts with 18in rears, with varying tire sizes that fit those "standard" rim sizes. These sizes have been evolved from many years of competition and use. This is all my opinion from experience, "real" bikes use the larger size tires.

Some science-ish stuff for ya, but Robert basically typed it. Not sure if this stuff answers any questions, but good info none-the-less for people to understand tire (size) basics.

http://www.motorcycle.com/rider-safety/motorcycle-tires-101-91339.html

https://www.denniskirk.com/help_center/tire-sizes.jsp

http://www.motosport.com/blog/dirt-bike-tires-wheels-explained-sizes-pressure-treads-tools

The Thumper site is down right now, but maybe this stuff answers questions as well. Wide vs. slim tires.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/859515-skinny-or-fat-front-tire/

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1025638-wide-rear-tire-vs-slim/

As the ol' saying goes, it's not the size that matters, but how you use it. This coming from someone who is 6'2".

There are adherent disadvantages for all sizes (people and machine). Tuning a bike to our size is important for making life easier or more suitable to our needs. But in the end, building skills (practice) is the monumental key in advancing.....on any metal steed. Once you can develop a core set of skills backed up with confidence, climbing on motos that aren't quite setup for you won't seem so daunting. But yes, having the right tools (or right setup) to assist you (not fight you with every move) in building that core/confidence is a true helper to progression.

Kudos to your commitment for progression.

Thank you for the education! I had NO idea there was that much to know about tires!!! I'm totally amazed.

Honestly, I'm still so thankful for being given my little bike and just being able to get out and ride, I haven't put more than passing thoughts toward changes/upgrades.

As the ol' saying goes, it's not the size that matters, but how you use it. This coming from someone who is 6'2".

There are adherent disadvantages for all sizes (people and machine). Tuning a bike to our size is important for making life easier or more suitable to our needs. But in the end, building skills (practice) is the monumental key in advancing.....on any metal steed. Once you can develop a core set of skills backed up with confidence, climbing on motos that aren't quite setup for you won't seem so daunting. But yes, having the right tools (or right setup) to assist you (not fight you with every move) in building that core/confidence is a true helper to progression.

Kudos to your commitment for progression.

Skills! Yes! I need SKILLS!!!(and free lessons :blush: )

Miriam- i'll take you to ride Ranger; it's a real confidence booster

I don't know who Ranger is, but I'm IN!!!

I appreciate all the help I can get.

Twisted sense of humor, as usual. :heh:

Twisted sense of humor, as usual. :heh:

Snipe hunt, eh? I shoulda known.

you can learn sooo much about a bike in flat dirt parking area. (like right near the big tree at mccain)

Miriam-now that you're geared up, the practice can start...I know you don't have a truck yet (that's convenient anyway), but Pine Valley is within riding distance....you call it