downs

Off-road boot opinions

Not those. I have worn the Thor model that came before the Blitz though. It was fairly durable for an entry level boot. Those three are all entry level, and certainly better than any boot that isn't designed for riding. When you can afford better boots, you will find that the durability, protection and comfort level will go way up, though. Boots with hinged ankles are the best for immediate comfort. Forma makes a model that starts at about 280 bucks. Gaerne makes a top line hinged boot, and SIDI also. Be prepared to shell out between 400 and 575 bucks for those. You can find better deals on-line of course. I found a pair of SIDI Crossfire SRS boots for 325 bucks. I couldn't pass them up at that price, and I'm not sorry I did either! Most comfortable, best articulated boot that I have ever worn!

Josh, what size are you? I have a pair of the Fly's (11) in excellent condition you can have for cheap. For DS riding I like that they are a little shorter and cooler then most MX boots. I think they are the stiffest (most protective) of the boots around the $100 mark. When brand new they will bust your feet until they break in a bit.

Text me so I can get your Carbtune back to ya. Phone blew up and lost half my numbers including yours and everyone else I met in the last two years.

10 or 11 depends on the boot.

I've always rode with just my Alpinestars Water Proof sport touring boots even in the dirt but I'd like to have some more between me and my ankle breaking when I dump the Big Blue Pig over on myself.

Something to consider is boots with replacements soles/arch inserts.

If your foot pegs are sharp, the boots will wear quickly in the arches. Sidi Crossfire SRS (Sole Replacement System) offers a simple bolt on sole replacement with quarter turn screws. They are expensive, but I get many years of use by just replacing the soles. I'm sure there are other brands with replaceable parts, so shop around. I once had Alpinestars Tech 8, with a replaceable sole, but I believe they discontinued that design feature. (Maybe to good of a design).

Good luck!

Sidi Crossfire SRS (Sole Replacement System) offers a simple bolt on sole replacement with quarter turn screws. They are expensive, but I get many years of use by just replacing the soles. I'm sure there are other brands with replaceable parts, so shop around.

Be advised that the SRS boots are narrower width than the std Crossfires. They were very uncomfortable on my fat feet. The std Crossfires are very comfy (and less expensive).

Yeah my foot is a bit wide. The Alpinestar Roam Water Proof boot I have right now is just a little bit on the narrow/tight side.

Comfort is so important I also buy any clothing/boots at a local store even if its more costly.

I generally buy my clothing and helmets and whatnot from local brick and mortar stores as well unless the price is just WAY different. I'm willing to fork over a bit of extra money to a physical place close to me.

Try motonation and get the sidi crossfire2 srs you can replace just about every part on those boots.

See if they have any returns.

I have the Gaerne G-ADV and the SG-10, The G-ADV is a comfortable all around boot but really doesn't offer too much more protection than a regular boot. Good for the ride Sunday but I tend to go to the SG-10 as they have such good protection. The pivot is nice and they're comfy right outta the box.

Since it's hard to find Gaerne in a store, feel free to stomp around in mine if ya want to try 'em. Also, remember the stores that support SDAR and the member discount. I got my latest chest protector at Fun Bike and walked out paying significantly less than any online place I could find.

I swear by my Sidi's, I have a couple of pairs of street boots and one older pair of Sidi adventure boots. I had an older pair of SIDI Corsa street boots for like 12 years and recently gave them to my brother in law. The soles are getting tatty but they still offer awesome protection.

Those G-ADVs look a good bit sturdier than my A* Roams. I also found these which look similar

http://www.cyclegear.com/c/brand/ALPINESTARS/2010-Scout-Waterproof-Motorcycle-Boots/p/29351_59409_15

AFRY offered me a good deal on the FLYs. I think I'm going to chip some money to him and see how I like them.

Those G-ADv's are not as stiff as the G-Midlands I was wearing when I broke my foot. - Please pass on these and the Scouts they are all really street boots - if you go down they offer little protection.

The Fly's offer a fair amount of protection because they are so damn stiff and thick in the right places. They use cheaper but thick materials and the sole is as good as most MX boots so you can stand on the pegs and not feel them flex.

You can try the Fly's for a couple rides before you decide whether to buy them - no biggie.

I now have a pair of Crossfires and they are the certainly one of the best but you pay for it.

I'm very happy with my SIDI crossfire boots. I didn't get the SRS, i've kicked myself for that since, but haven't had to shell out for new soles yet.

I can comment on the Element boot:

Inexpensive? Yes.

Plenty of protection, but they lack flexibility and feel. The toe area is a bit too tall for my liking, and coupling that with the lack of flexibility leads to vague shifter feel. Same on the brake side; the boot is so stiff, proper rear brake modulation is a chore.

They will do an adequate job of protecting your toes and ankles while you save up the money to buy a better pair of boots.

I've had a couple pairs of the Alpinestar Tech 8. I add a padded insert and they're incredibly comfy. They've been great boots and have a reasonable price. I tried the SIdi boots and they were too narrow for my fat feet. Otherwise I would have purchased a pair based on what everyone says about them. Alpinestar has also been great with customer service and there's a guy Encinitas that can resole them.

Personally, I would stay away from any of the cheap boots unless the budget just doesn't allow it. To me, nice boots and a nice comfy helmet are very important. Especially if you spend all day on a bike.