Goofy Footer

ZipTy Racing Carb Parts

The mag float bowl plug is just pure bovine excrement in my opinion. I always run inline fuel filters and after years on the bike don't really see anything in the filter. Can't think of how anything magnetic would get in the tank in the 1st place and even if something did would never get past a fuel filter.

CiD

Edited to protect my image ;-)

Edited by Covered in Dust

Ty and engineer Michael love magnets they use those super strong type. the engine oil bathed magnets are very effective, even on the filler cap.

anything ZipTy does is for bullet proof overkill, to eliminate any possible issues. its just added overkill in the fuel system. pos I would not go that far when discussing Tys logic, he's a little better qualified than anyone here.

not carburator related but, filters are great but even with filters....late model ktm/huskys have suffered clogged fuel injectors* under racing and some other harder core conditions, so never write off the overkill logic of guys like Ty that deal with issues that go way beyond the usual trail rider issues,

truth is i think the filters themselves have been coming apart and clogging injectors.

I highly recommend ZipTy products. but Im no expert, make your own decisions.

I don't think there is anything that a magnet would attract in a modern dirt bike fuel system and all petcocks have a screen and most use some sort of inline filter also. This magnetic plug is not for FI bikes so it's just a farkle for people to waste their money on. You might as well put tassels on the end of your handle bars for as much good as this product will do for your bike.

CiD

I have a bit of experience with very high strength magnets so I will put one of my N52 magnets into the drain on my 525 and leave it there during my 7 day ride into New Mexico and then the ride down to the Saw Mill. After that I will pull it out and if there is anything actually stuck to it I will send my apologies to you and Ty.

CiD

We need "ethanol magnets"

A person could make a LOT of money with those.

A LOT.

In fact, one could become a Magnate.

Tim, I have an extra fuel screw

Bikeslut is your fuel screw for a Mikuni or FCR carb? I have FCR on the DRZ and WR, the 400s comes with Mikuni. Thanks for the offer!

I have a bit of experience with very high strength magnets so I will put one of my N52 magnets into the drain on my 525 and leave it there during my 7 day ride into New Mexico and then the ride down to the Saw Mill. After that I will pull it out and if there is anything actually stuck to it I will send my apologies to you and Ty.

CiD

I'm very interested in seeing how your magnet experiment works, please post back. Might as well throw in some Baja gas at Sawmill for good measure too!

"anything ZipTy does is for bullet proof overkill, to eliminate any possible issues. its just added overkill in the fuel system"

no arguments read my comments above again.

As far as ZipTy racing FCR carb mods for 450 Yamahas his knowledge comes right from the WORCS Championship.

PS I used ZipTy's oil filler cap with a mag in it as well as his (oil drain plugs) (on both the TE310 and TXC310R). The filler cap always picks up all kinds of ferrous fuzz from oil thrown about from the clutch. So for your 4 stroke OIL system overkill with magnetic caps covers and drain plugs is a good thing to have (ZipTy catalog is loaded with mag products).

also for keihin fcr carbs the simple JD Jetting kits have worked well for the ones i've installed.

In a slightly related note on magnets, I just picked up a Moose Magnetic Drain Plug for my WR from Steve at C&D Cycle. I'm interested to see what it attracts the next time I change my oil - I'll report back.

41Erl40OhWL._SX300_.jpg

how-do-magnets-work-aliens-thumb.jpg

I'd imagine the mag on the carb might accumulate microscopic particles of oxidised ferrous particles that could come from old rusty tanks and pipes found on questionable fuel supplie systems.

In highschool I had a bike with a rusty tank... long story but I tried a bunch of fuel filters... I couldn't find a practical filter with a small enough micron rating to catch the "fuzz" that I would find accumulated in the float bowl, the stuff would coagulate while sitting for a day or two and clog the pilot jets. I pushed that bike more miles than I ever rode it, seriously, it left such a bad taste in my mouth I didn't own another bike for over five years! :grrr: I'm not saying a mag in the bowl would have helped but it would have certainly had a cool field sculpture going.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nano.utexas.edu%2Fweb%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fcombined-MR-peaks-figure1.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nano.utexas.edu%2Fmagnetorheological-fluid%2F&h=721&w=890&tbnid=Tx_jBifXaKbiaM%3A&zoom=1&docid=vGi16kEgaf8gXM&ei=msGjU6igJIL5oAT-nYFY&tbm=isch&iact=rc&uact=3&page=1&start=0&ndsp=35&ved=0CB4QMygCMAI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_oxide

CID- I would love to see if you get ANYTHING on that mag, cool little experiment! maybe you'll find aliens in there man :tired: hahahaaa!

now if you'll excuse me i need to sake another swig

ethanol_msds_warning_flask.jpg?color=Sta

Hey CiD, were you ever able to make that custom magnetic carb drain plug? I pulled the WR's carb plug to drain the remaining float bowl gas (after running the carb dry) and just noticed dirt.

Moose / ZipTy magnetic carb drain plug after 730 baja miles. There was even more stuff after the Desert Dash. I'm starting to wonder if I should run some carb vent line filters or something? Yikes!

post-14322-0-06341600-1428784820_thumb.j

the quote below, while not specifically referencing magnetic carb drain plugs, sites the efficacy of magnets in the motor and is taken from this Thumpertalk thread "DIY Magnetic Drain Plug"

Spannermad

Posted December 12, 2008 - 12:18 PM

Thought this might be handy for someone.

I made a magnetic drain plug at my last oil change. Didn`t post anything because it could have been a expensive experiment.
I had fitted a Vapor at the same time and was looking at the spare magnet from the speedo pick up and thought "Drill a 3/8 hole in the drain plug add a bit of high temp epoxy, stick the magnet in, let it set and I`ve got a free magnetic drain plug".

After 5000kms of abuse it is all OK.

DrainPlug.jpg

macdesign

Posted December 15, 2008 - 01:22 AM

Procycle said:

Years ago I used to do this on every bike I owned. Back then you couldn't just buy a magnetic drain plug.

I've also epoxied larger magnets inside the clutch cover.

Jeffs suggestion of sticking magnets inside the clutch cover is a damn good one.
I spent a few years building thumbsup.gif NASCAR engines and we used to glue a bunch of them on the head, just below the valve springs, AND anywhere else oil was like likely to run over in great streams.
I learnt that if everything is operating as it should there won't be much metal floating around BUT valve springs will shed their outer layer in tiny little shards. Those little shards need to be caught before they get into bearings or gears or between a piston skirt and cylinder wall because they'll start a process that may take a while to complete, BUT it WILL end pain.
Use rare earth magnets (aka Neodymium magnets), which can be found in PC hard drives (but these are smallish) or go and buy some 3/8" (10mm) diameter ones, as they are not that expensive, mix yourself up a batch of Araldite and glue them into a clean spot that oil will flow over (i.e. the bottom of oval drain hole from the clutch housing to the sump and in the cylinder head below the valve springs!!smirk.gif) .

Magnets are small $ and effort for BIG insurance.