Crawdaddy

LA-B-V - Anybody else riding in this event?

So, since Kathy and I have no plans to go anywhere over Thanksgiving (that I know of :lol::rolleyes: ), I’m toying with the idea of driving my truck (or truck and Toybox) to Barstow Friday the 23rd , staying Friday night in a motel in Barstow (or in the Toybox), riding the second leg of the route from Barstow to Vegas on Saturday, staying somewhere in Vegas on Sat night (I’m assuming Orleans is probably booked but I have a friend who can put me up at the motel she works at – The Westin - at a discounted/employee rate......nice place and close to the Orleans) and riding back to Barstow in the reverse direction on Sunday rather than sitting in all that traffic leaving Vegas….then either stay in Barstow again Sunday night or drive home…..probably just stay in Barstow since I’d be whooped from the riding all day and load up/drive home on Monday……

I rode the LA-B-V ride two years ago but had to skip the final stretch through Red Rock Canyon outside of Vegas because we were running too slow due to a combination of front flat/hardways ……plus I’m just not that good/fast of a rider)…..my friend Gil put a new route together this year and I think it would be fun to check out the second half…….the timing/logistics are just too hard for me to do the whole enchilada from Lancaster…….I was thinking I (we?) could ride the regular route on Sat. and some abbreviated route back to Barstow on Sunday (no gas in Sandy Valley on Sunday so an alternative route would have to be planned out)

I figure I can have a bag of clothes shuttled from Barstow to Vegas (part of entry fee) so I have something to wear in Vegas and then just throw it in someone’s truck late Sat night/Early Sunday morning for the return trip back to the San Diego area or, in a worst case scenario, have it shipped back by my friend Jessica who lives in Vegas…..

Very last minute/lunchtime ramblin thought process going on.......not sure if I'll actually do this or not......but definitely won't do it solo......anyone else interested before I blabber about it to the GF and risk life and limb? ;):D:D

LA-B-V

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I was realy into this ride untill you told me about the speed limits, :D then I saw Kevins picture of a straight road were you had to go 30MPH. :rolleyes: in sand :lol:;)

I was realy into this ride untill you told me about the speed limits, :D then I saw Kevins picture of a straight road were you had to go 30MPH. :rolleyes: in sand :lol:;)

It's a long ride with some boring stretches......no doubt about it.......that being said, it's also the largest annual gathering of dualsport enthusiats in Southern Ca. ......and a LOT of fun.......

Hammer Head - you're a Baja 1000 kinda guy....whereas I'm just an old man who likes to ride dualsport with his kid/buddies :D:D

I'm in it as much for the social aspect as the terrain.....

Different strokes (and bores.....or "borings") for different folks.....

Ride Often, Ride Hard, Ride On!

You forgot "bring it!!!"

:lol:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I was realy into this ride untill you told me about the speed limits, :D then I saw Kevins picture of a straight road were you had to go 30MPH. :lol: in sand ;):D

It's a long ride with some boring stretches......no doubt about it.......that being said, it's also the largest annual gathering of dualsport enthusiats in Southern Ca. ......and a LOT of fun.......

Hammer Head - you're a Baja 1000 kinda guy....whereas I'm just an old man who likes to ride dualsport with his kid/buddies :D:D

I'm in it as much for the social aspect as the terrain.....

Different strokes (and bores.....or "borings") for different folks.....

My parents forced me to play tennis and golf as a kid, but I like the sports that take two balls.

but I like the sports that take two balls.

Personal choices should stay just that, personal!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Anyway, Whatever! BUM. IF YOU COULD YOU WOULD.

So are you saying you want to be back in San Diego Sun night or Mon?

I'd probabaly just come back Monday so I could kick back with a cold one(s) in Barstow after back to back riding days........dodge traffic madness, sleep in, snag a big breakfast/coffee, and get back to Re-Mote-a (Ramona) and/or work in Carlsbad whenever on Monday

Still haven't run the idea past the significant other since it doesn't appear anyone is game......no need to put my TWO BALLS on the chopping block if I don't see much interest :rolleyes::lol:

Guest Hammerin Hammon

[

Still haven't run the idea past the significant other since it doesn't appear anyone is game......no need to put my TWO BALLS on the chopping block if I don't see much interest :lol::)

:lol::D:D You guys keep me loughing all day.HAMMER. not Hammer Head. :rolleyes:

I'd probabaly just come back Monday so I could kick back with a cold one(s) in Barstow after back to back riding days........dodge traffic madness, sleep in, snag a big breakfast/coffee, and get back to Re-Mote-a (Ramona) and/or work in Carlsbad whenever on Monday

Still haven't run the idea past the significant other since it doesn't appear anyone is game......no need to put my TWO BALLS on the chopping block if I don't see much interest :):)

Yo Chris, still thinkin of going?

It is starting to look good for me to go. :)

Still haven't run the idea past the significant other since it doesn't appear anyone is game......no need to put my TWO BALLS on the chopping block if I don't see much interest :):)

Yo Chris, still thinkin of going?

It is starting to look good for me to go. :)

I'm out.........didn't see anyone else stepping up and made plans with the gal pal

My good friend PalmAveRider will be there :) I think he's planning to ride with his brother in law and another friend. You guys should PM him and see about hooking up.

We're off to Santa Cruz for the T.Day and weekend. Supermoto to Alice's Restaurant on Friday. Have fun and ride safe!

My good friend PalmAveRider will be there :blink: I think he's planning to ride with his brother in law and another friend. You guys should PM him and see about hooking up.

We're off to Santa Cruz for the T.Day and weekend. Supermoto to Alice's Restaurant on Friday. Have fun and ride safe!

Lived in Ben Lomond for 5 yrs. The SC Mtns sure have some fun roads. Hwy-9, Felton-Empire Grade, Empire (used to be my commute to work), Ice Cream Grade wicked as well, and on and on.... SuperMoto would be great for that stuff as some of it can be a bit bumpy and very tight.

ride safe, watch out for moss if its cool/damp

2008 will be the 25th anniversary of the LA-B-V ride and, although I haven't figured out the logistics yet, I'm "IN" this year from start to finish. Secured my hall pass waaaaaaaaaaaaay in advance after blowing it off last year :D

Brian (my LA-B-V partner a couple of years ago) posted the March/April D37 Newsletter yesterday on the D37 site......there's an interesting article/photos on the genesis/history of the LA-B-V ride.....check it out:

D37 March/April Newsletter

Did that wet your appetite?......the ride isn't until November so there's plenty of time to plan/secure YOUR hall pass too :)

(I plan on pre-running the final/Red Rocks section next month when I head over for the BBTR Bar 10 ride)

Like they say in that Nike ad, "JUST DO IT" <_<:D:D

2008 will be the 25th anniversary of the LA-B-V ride and, although I haven't figured out the logistics yet, I'm "IN" this year from start to finish. Secured my hall pass waaaaaaaaaaaaay in advance after blowing it off last year :bomb:

Brian (my LA-B-V partner a couple of years ago) posted the March/April D37 Newsletter yesterday on the D37 site......there's an interesting article/photos on the genesis/history of the LA-B-V ride.....check it out:

Did that wet your appetite?......the ride isn't until November so there's plenty of time to plan/secure YOUR hall pass too :)

(I plan on pre-running the final/Red Rocks section next month when I head over for the BBTR Bar 10 ride)

Like they say in that Nike ad, "JUST DO IT" ;):):lol:

Already booked my room at the Ramada in Barstow for the day 1 leg......who else is thinking about riding this year???

HERE are a few photos from when I rode it in 2005 on my trusty EXC 400....did that wet your appetite?

I'd like to, but I'll see as we get closer to November. If I do, it'll be on the 950 or Elefant.

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I don't do silly trail rides anymore. :)

I don't do silly trail rides anymore. :)

Craig,

Who said it was a silly trail ride? It could be a serious trail ride you know. :):o

I don't do silly trail rides anymore. :scratch_one-s_head:

Sell the honda's and get a vespa, you could save gas(100mpg) and still get the surf board to the beach. ;)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I don't do silly trail rides anymore. :scratch_one-s_head:

Sell the honda's and get a vespa, you could save gas(100mpg) and still get the surf board to the beach. ;)

Hey Google (Gas bicycle motors) Honda has a new 4 stroke motor that mounts to most bicycles.

The other day I was on my bike, waiting in trafic when this guy wheelies past me on a motorized mountain bike, I stoped and talked a while. He can wheelie beter than Schwinn, he claimed about 150 MPG.

I want one. I can't ride or park my motorcycle where I can park my bicycle. It would be nice to head South to Carflsbad campgrounds then shut the BULLET PROOF HONDA MOTOR off and pedal down the beach on the sand to find the best waves, with no crowds.

With this bike I could still do most SDAR rides. It does come with a spark arestor also.

Honda AdvantEDGE: What an engine. More torque and horsepower than the rest.

The idea with this larger engine as actually efficiency. We offer this system only in Professional series concept. Self starting shift on the fly. It does big jobs.

American made quality components in every system. Teflon bushings for quietness, and smooth operation. Stainless washers for clean, rust free look. Laser cut aluminum engine mounts (lifetime warranted) for superior durability and long life.

Dimension EDGE Bicycle engines offered the Tecumseh 49 cc engine for 21 years. Literally thousands of the Tecumseh TC I , TC 2, and TC 3 engines are still being used worldwide.

But the new Honda is so quiet and powerful we had to say good job Tecumseh, but make way for a new generation. We will still service the TC series engines.

EFFICIENCY: The new 4 stroke Honda is the cleanest emissions with best low end torque. This means a lower power setting to achieve the same speed, to use less fuel. These are our goals.

A new muffler was designed to allow a forestry approved and certified spark arrestor. It is even quieter with the spark arrestor $25.

POWERFUL: The Honda engine is rated at 3 BHP at 4500 RPM, maximum torque at 2500 RPM. High torque at low rpm's is our advantage over the competition. Less noise, better fuel economy and longer life.

ADAPTABILITY: The Honda engine system include three gear ratios to change the dynamics of the system from a torque filled off road hill climber on wet muddy roads to a serious high speed touring machine. Check out all the gear ratios on our accessory pages.

SAFETY: Our transmission allows any bicyclist to start the engine with the recoil starter or engage the system while riding and the engine will start automatically. Just apply any throttle setting needed to climb hills, putt around, or pull trailers on the highway. The aspen, urethane, and aggregate drive gears, all in different interchangeable ratios, propel the bike while being easier on the frame and tires of any bicycle. No chains to throw oil all over, or rust and derail. No fan belts to burn up, slip when wet, or grab loose clothing.

Safe and dependable, the Honda is truly a good friend on the road. And up to 250 MPG on the flat at speeds over 25 MPH.

A limited two year warrantee includes all the new emission controls. The entire engine block is warranted a full year. The direct drive PTO has 3 years. Everything we make also has a full year. We stock ALL PARTS.

Honda's name recognition offers trust worldwide.

The Honda AdvantEDGE from Dimension EDGE. Available for $719.00

The engine has a block mounted on-off switch, but we can offer a converted Mitsubishi remote kill switch for $20 when you order. A handy item really. It includes factory style plug ins and your choice of remote positioning

2008 will be the 25th anniversary of the LA-B-V ride and, although I haven't figured out the logistics yet, I'm "IN" this year from start to finish. Secured my hall pass waaaaaaaaaaaaay in advance after blowing it off last year :(

Did that wet your appetite?......the ride isn't until November so there's plenty of time to plan/secure YOUR hall pass too :(

Like they say in that Nike ad, "JUST DO IT" B)B):D

Already booked my room at the Ramada in Barstow for the day 1 leg......who else is thinking about riding this year???

HERE are a few photos from when I rode it in 2005 on my trusty EXC 400....did that wet your appetite?

Tree's post about Baja prompted me to bump this forward again......who's in with me and Roger???.....the logistics of this ride are sort of a pain in the ass and wallet......so it would be helpful to start shaking things out now.....

.....the logistics of this ride are sort of a pain in the ass and wallet......so it would be helpful to start shaking things out now.....

Given that the logistics are a pain with the 520....and since I now have the more road/travel friendly 620......I'm thinking about riding to the start line in Lancaster on Thursday evening with the 620/saddlebags.....do the LA-Vegas thing on Friday/Saturday....then ride back....toying with the idea of riding down to Laughlin on the Sunday after LA-B-V and riding Mojave Road back to Bartstow on Monday. Then ride from Barstow back to San Diego on Tuesday the 2nd......nice "Adventure" :)

Randy, are you still thinking about signing up? Any others interested? Other suggestions/options?