Guest Crusty

Check out the new African Twin CRF. 1000

Bikeslut is faster than I am. And on a frigin DR. Not on the KLR though I think my son could whip him on that bike. They call my Honda 650R a pig?

Until you get traction at about 50 mph in the dirt with 100hp it would be hard to explain the reason for it.

One of the funnest bikes ever.

Honda does know how to engineer a bike though. Issue is sometimes it is to our advantage and sometimes it is to theirs. CRF---R valves for instance. Pushing the 4 stroke motor for instance. Bout makin money. On the other hand over the years most of their bikes have been bullet proof and performers.

I am not going to beat the hell out of this 990 like I did the old 950.

Bowers already squared up his front rim. Animal that he is. Saw him ripping the whoops at McCains on his 990.

Things are starting to slow down and I am working on the bikes so I can get some seat time in Bowers. We will ride soon!

Bowers already squared up his front rim. Animal that he is. Saw him ripping the whoops at McCains on his 990.

animal_muppets.jpg

I dunno...looks WAY too easy to maintain. I kinda like the Austrian way of having to remove both fuel tanks, handle bars and master link...just to check the oil!

Really ?????.......

Sadly the reality is add 20% to every thing they say now except horsepower. There is no way they can produce a 1000cc bike under 400 lbs. I wish they would but by the time the ABS, EPA, DOT make their way onboard she will be a pig. Look at the Crf250l at 320+, you think they can add 750cc's and another cylinder along with wind protection, ABS etc adding less then 75 lbs? It can be done but not by a large production motorcycle company equipping the masses. There was a day when Honda could/would do it but those days are long gone with the passing of Soichiro Honda.

But competition is good and maybe this will spark KTM to fill their own gap with a 800-900cc twin in the mid 400lb range. I suspect they already are working on it. Will any of these new model bikes be lighter then the 950se or 990 adv - I wish, but I doubt it.

Guest Crusty

. Look at the Crf250l at 320+, you think they can add 750cc's and another cylinder along with wind protection, ABS etc adding less then 75 lbs? It can be done but not by a large production motorcycle company equipping the masses. There was a day when Honda could/would do it but those days are long gone with the passing of Soichiro Honda.

The CRF 250L sells for $5,000.00 and Honda has hit a home run with this bike.

The bike they are building target price is$13,900.00

KTM. builds partial motors and partial frames, everything else is bought off the shelf,

and they can sell their bike for $1,000.00 more, and stay afloat.

Move over for what? An old school single cam motor? Nice way to spin it Honda... Unicam...like it's a good thing..lol. Sounds like an overpriced SL1000 in modern clothes. $13,900 is not cheap and for old school motor technology? At least this time they spent money on radiators and E start.

"As the Unicam-based engines are simpler, lighter and cheaper to produce than DOHC parallel twins, you don’t have to be an engineer to figure out why Honda will ditch the v-twin architecture. And this brings us to another extremely important issue: money!"

I'm not impressed by pencil sketches and absurd claims, anyone can do that. Get back to me when any of this is a reality.

for reference, the KTM 950 SE was in the 440 pound weight class, with just under 100 horsepower...120 mph top speed and right around $13,000

When was the last time Honda undercut KTM on weight, and outperformed them on horsepower in the dual sport world... I'm with Tom on this...

I really hope they do it, but I'm sure not holding my breath

420lbs hehe and don't forget the over square big bore (100mm) short stroke (60mm) high tech bullet proof narrow V-twin motor. This combination provides insane torque and the ability to rev quickly. I don't think another bike like the 950SE will ever be made again by a big manufacturer.

I believe because of the bad economy in 07+ and that dual sporting had not caught the fever it has now was a major factor in lackluster sales or it would still be in production today.

Slut -sounds good, your welcome to take her for a spin. True there is no reason for 100 hp off road but for example I have a 7 hour freeway ride to get to Tombstone AZ this month before we head up 750 miles of mostly dirt to Utah (AZBDR), then slab it back home another 9 hours. That 100 hp lets you run 75-80mph for hours without even breaking a sweat, this is the bike for that type of riding - kinda like a KLR on steroids. Although I spend much more on bike tires then car tires lol.

Guest Crusty

3 of the Honda I own have more power than I could use.

I would have been happy with an updated XR 650L, my 9 year old XR still rocks.

I like the CRF 450 Rally bikes they raced at Dakar, and was impressed that they all finished on the same motors,

when the other brands had to use many.

The African Twin is based off the CRF 450 Rally

I would like to own one with a parallel twin 1000 :smile_anim:

I like all that I have read about this new bike, and feel, IF ANYONE CAN BUILD IT," HONDA CAN."

The only thing with Honda is, their needs to be a large market for them to build a bike.

It makes me laugh my head of when I read people say that Honda doesn't have the passion to build great bikes.

Guest Crusty

I like all that I have read about this new bike, and feel, IF ANYONE CAN BUILD IT," HONDA CAN."

The only thing with Honda is, their needs to be a large market for them to build a bike.

It makes me laugh my head of when I read people say that Honda doesn't have the passion to build great bikes.

Honda CAN (probably the biggest motorcycle manufacturer out there)

IF there is a large market (that sounds like financials, not passion)

Honda Doesn't build great dual sports (crf250l and XR650L- both useful, neither one great)

What else am I missing?

Does Sea World have passion to lose money.

OR KTM.

The best thing about KTM. is their small size. sounds like they are too big to produce the 950SE.

I like both those bikes,GREAT for me, maybe not you.

They don't have the passion to install lights.LMFAO. :heh::heh:

But even I can do that.

PASSION

They Also build the CRF. 450R CRF. 450X CR 500 AF.CRF. 250X CRF 450R.>....................................................................................................................

The African Twin is based off the CRF 450 Rally

You know this how?

What does "based off" mean? It's red and white?

I'm afraid the only thing in common may be the name on the tank.

They Also build the CR 500 AF

ummm , no they don't

Until one of these Hondas actually exists and is for sale on our shores this is all just white noise.

whyzit gotta be a race thing? Is white noise any more pleasant than some other noise?

Racist!

:heh:

(outtake from a work meeting - by a very serious and constant EEO filer)