downs

KLX250S and CRF250L

I'm kind of in the market for a much smaller and lighter bike. I wouldn't mind havinga DRZ400 or even another DR350SE for the right price but I'm kind of leaning towards the even smaller 250 bikes.

Does anyone have either of the Topic Title bikes? Would anyone be willing to let me ride one? I'm kind of leaning towards the Honda for the simple fact it has FI.

I don't have one of those bikes but agree with your plan...WR250R is a great option too-

I like the way you're thinking about EFI. It simply is better.

Although smaller, lighter? The only thing small about those bikes is the engine displacement. They both weigh close to or over 300# with fuel. What's your intention with these bikes? Commuting from Chula Vista to Miramar? Trucking it to the desert/mountains to ride?

For a real EFI treat, Husqvarna TE250 or 310 (there's one for sale on this board), smaller displacement KTM of any color (orange, blue or white). Can't think of any others right now.

You're talking to a guy that rides a Strom in some dirt and had a DR350. Light is relative haha ;) 300 lbs sounds really light to me.

I'm thinking of using it for light commuting (I live in the barracks so no real commute for me) maybe fitting it with some rear rack/braces for carrying light loads for out of the way camping where I really don't want to wrestle the Strom. Or if I want to go backcountry camping and have lots of fun to boot.

DR350 is lighter than the 250s you mentioned.

Of the three Japanese 250s available the WR250R is the only real dirtbike with a plate. Costs more but has far better OEM parts and performance.

Guest Crusty

honda!!!!!

rode one and loved it

I rode with someone on one and was very impressed!

I would buy one but am waiting for the 650 version.

Some are built to race, the Honda is built to last.

I would buy a F.I Honda but no other, to many issues.

Honda knows F.I like no other.

FYI. Team KTM wont run their F.I. when racing Baja.

Husky wont race Baja!

First year the Honda CRF 250L was introduced the raced 2 and finished!

Story here.

http://dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14264-2-new-2013-crf-250-l-racing-the-baja-1000/

DR350 is lighter than the 250s you mentioned.

Of the three Japanese 250s available the WR250R is the only real dirtbike with a plate. Costs more but has far better OEM parts and performance.

Yeah the specs say it's 286ish lbs. and the DRZ is 320 wet. I jumped on a DRZ right after riding my DR350 one time and I have to say the DRZ FELT much lighter to me. I was suprised that's for sure.

Got one you wanna sell cheap? haha

I'm just really curious about the little 250s. Especially the Honda. DRZs seem to be much easier to find so I'm sure I'll wind up with one. Probably later in the year. Right now I'm just kind of poking my nose around on Craigslist and ADV.

As John points out;notmuch lighter...less torque...less availability

You ride a strom(as did I) The DRZ feels like a toy comparatively...

As for selling one cheap...mine is abused

Guest Crusty

One nice thing about the Honda (quote)Surfnride 73 MPG. stock 63 fully moded.

Bought for $5,000.00 $2,500 in mods, night and day results.

My 230 is heavy but the low seat height is what makes it AWESOME.

Lower center of gravity, like riding a BMX. bike.

As John points out;notmuch lighter...less torque...less availability You ride a strom(as did I) The DRZ feels like a toy comparatively... As for selling one cheap...mine is abused

Which ones aren't haha.

The fuel mileage is attractive on those tiny little things. I was looking at the DR200. Some guys claming they were getting over 100 MPG.

I'll keep poking around for a DRZ and try to get a ride on a 250 if I can find one.

As a former owner of a plated DRZ400E, I would highly recommend you consider that option. No FI and you won't be able to find a plated model newer than '03. But at 262 lbs and for under 3k (average) good bang for your buck.

Nice example here

A newer but more expensive example here

I agree with PastaPilot's comment about the Husky TE. My son's 2008 TE 250 weighs 236 pounds dry. Similar bikes can be had for around $2800. I dont ride his bike much, mostly after servicing, riding it up and down the street, but everytime I ride it I think why the hell dont I ride it more often?

TE Drawback: Parts availability may be an issue in the future.

I don't register anything here. I would send the paperwork back home to have it registered in Texas. As long as the title is legit it wouldn't be a big deal. That's probably why the price is low.

I bought my CRF250L in Dec 12 (2013 model). It's a little weighty but you can't beat the new off the showroom price of 5,500 and the low seat height (the Yam was simply too tall for me). The fuel injection definitely provides a smoother climbing ability when in the low r's. I use mine occasionally to commute to work from SD to Carlsbad... I wouldn't push it past 65 for very long for it really winds out the 250cc. 60 mph is best. I can go do a round trip to work and back on exactly 1 gallon of gas (70 miles).

If you want to get offroad value, you have to put a decent skid plate on plus get the rim locks on the rear. I managed to bend the stock handlebars on my first off road ride out but the tusk bars work better anyway.

I've had mine off road with the roughnecks (some on this thread) and although I wasn't as talented as some, I did balance my way through for some long rides on some tight single track.

Oh.. and for the seat... not good, so count on getting a custom seat made as well.

I noticed that someone mentioned a 650honda coming out.... hmmmmm.... 2nd bike in my future?

Look the bike you need is a

Hodaka, cus no Honda 230L has never did this. :heh:

“In June, 1966, the 10,000th Ace 90 was shipped from Nagoya - an amazing feat from a company that had looked extinction squarely in the eye just three years earlier. That same year, to display their faith in their product, Marketing Manager Marvin Foster and crazyman Frank Wheeler rode a couple of Ace 90s on a 3800-mile tour of Baja, Mexico, without experiencing a single mechanical failure. Marvin later settled down to corporate life in Oregon, but Mr. Crazy went on to ride a Hodaka 125 around the perimeter of Australia in 1972, covering 10,000 miles in 21 days.”

No fuel injection, but for a real dirtbike with a plate it's going to be tough to beat an early WR250F (224lbs dry, nearly 100lbs less than a CRF250L!) Yes it's kickstart, but when jetted correctly they'll fire on one or two kicks every time. Mine has a Rekluse, FMF titanium exhaust, autodecomp cam and a host of other goodies on it...not exactly stock, but if you want to ride it sometime we can put something together.

Tim

Ha, we got beat up on our stroms in death valley didn't we Downs!? Gosh man. I'm poking around the flea market and craigslist too after the noob rally.

Have narrowed it down to the WR250R or the CRF250L. I'm 6' 4"-anybody on this thread know which one would be better for a tall guy?