pyro

IN TOO DEEP at The Salton Sea

I was due for an adventure, so I packed-up all the comforts of home on to my bike for a night of camping. Time to hit the road !

IMG_0396.jpg

I decided to head east toward the desert. It was a little windy, but not too bad. The temp was perfect and the air was crisp and clean. I ended up way out by the Salton Sea. This is something I have always wanted to see. The history and saga of this huge, land-locked body of water is very interesting. Here's my first stop.

IMG_0398.jpg

There was a cool tower there that you could climb up. From the top you can look at the sea through built-in binoculars. I snapped a couple photos.

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0401.jpg

There was also a vistors center, so I went in and was greeted by some nice folks. I asked how to get to the shore, so they gave me a map, a few local facts and some quick directions to get me there. After making it past the smell, I arrived at the shore and proceeded to ride out on to the shoreline. Woops, this is not something I recommend trying. It was cool at first and then . . .

IMG_0403.jpg

I hit quicksand, but it was really quickmud with little shells mixed in.

IMG_0402.jpg

The bike sunk in deeper as I snapped these photos. Smart, huh? :D It wouldn't budge, and my heavy bike was even more heavy (as if that could be possible), do to all the unnecessary but nice-to-have equipment that I had strapped on.

IMG_0402a-1.jpg

I finally got it out of there after some extraneous effort combined with a little luck. I ended up pulling all the gear off the bike, then layed the bike over on it's side to wedge the rear wheel loose. Luckily there were some handy rocks laying around to pile into the sloggy and stinky hole I had created. As soon as I got the bike upright with enough rocks underneath to prevent it from sinking back down too much, I hit the starter/throttle/clutch while standing next to it. Full Throttle and the bike busted loose! I think some of those rocks went flying all the way past our border with Mexico! SUCCESS! :D

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0404.jpg

The Salton Sea is a strange and beautiful place.

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

I left the Salton Sea behind, choosing to head back west. I eventually pulled into a nice camping spot just as it was getting dark. Time for an almost-cold beer and some chow.

IMG_0416.jpg

I awoke the next day to a perfect morning in our lovely Anza Borrego State Park, so I broke camp, saddled up and headed out.

IMG_0425.jpg

Time for a little site seeing around this fine desert park.

IMG_0428.jpg

I want to get a group together to camp and ride this area. I know that some of you guys and gals have alot of experience riding the routes around this place. As far as I am concerned, this is some of the best riding around. I would love to explore more of this awesome area.

IMG_0429.jpg

It was a fabulous weekend adventure. I clocked in close to 500 miles, saw some amazing, beautiful and desolate territory, and had a total blast !

IMG_0430.jpg

Ride On Forever Mis Amigos ! ! !

The seat cover is AWESOME ! It makes a huge difference, especially on the longer rides. Special thanks to Mountain Dragon Dave for hooking me up. I'm getting some comfortable mileage on this little 20$ goodie.

IMG_0428.jpg

I want to get a group together to camp and ride this area. I know that some of you guys and gals have alot of experience riding the routes around this place. As far as I am concerned, this is some of the best riding around. I would love to explore more of this awesome area.

IMG_0429.jpg

It was a fabulous little weekend adventure. I clocked in close to 500 miles, saw some amazing. beautiful and desolate territory, and had a total blast !

Nice write up Bro.

Those pics look like the badlands,there is lots of sand and some mudcaves. Cool area to explore :D

I might have to post a ride there. :D

Alex and I cruized over there one day, it does smell a bit. but it was a good ride. No Pyrocam footage???

:D Ken

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Great Adventure, nice pics, I am glad you had a great time, and thanks for shareing your trip with us.

When Pyro rides out to Borrego and beyond...

...has he ever been heard to say, "I'm going to pyro it out there" :D

I'm surprised that you didn't stop to toss a line in for some of those corvinas that can get up to 15 or 20 pounds in the pinkish brown water out there! :D

Great trip PYRO thanks for sharing your pics. :D:D I'll be ready for a group ride out there!!~ By the way here is the NGK plug # I have been wanting to give you--- IRIDIUM_IX #DPR8EIX-9. Have a great day THE DOC.

Yes DD ! ! I've heard some stories from the old man in the sea about those big-to-huge-to-MASSIVE orange mouth corvinas out there. There were birds everywhere yesterday (although they somehow escaped all of my photos), but I did see atleast one divebomb on a baitfish (or something tastey). I will bring a rod next time for sure just to see if they are still there. :D

sea_snack.gif

No pyroCAM footage this time Ken. It's just too much to deal with when going adventure solo. The cam is solid and ready for heavy action. Next time we ride it should be online, so remember to stay infront of me for the instant replay later! :D

FCAM.jpg

Doc, we gotz to get out there dude! It's a Heavy Sand Advisory in the Anza Borrego . . . . Fresh Knobbies Required Right ?!?! Anyways, I have a strange feeling that Carguy is going to post a great one for us really soon, and I heard that Sandiegoland and a whole bunch of the crew might join us too! :D The Anza Borego is huge, and there is so much out there to check out on our dual-sport motorcycles.

One way or another, I hope to see you all out riding soon. I say we plan something (weekends only for me), because right now the weather couldn't be better.

IMG_0428.jpg

I want to get a group together to camp and ride this area. I know that some of you guys and gals have alot of experience riding the routes around this place. As far as I am concerned, this is some of the best riding around. I would love to explore more of this awesome area. It was a fabulous weekend adventure. I clocked in close to 500 miles, saw some amazing, beautiful and desolate territory, and had a total blast !

IMG_0430.jpg

Snaildarter and I conducted "Quad-Tard" training this weekend in the same general area (Imperial County Line/Spooks Canyon) and then we took the boys over to Devil's Lookout and along the Lost People Trail over to the Pumpkin Patch.....

Quad Tard Training Photos

Troy, we did the same ride two weeks ago. The east side of the Salton Sea is a much nicer ride than the west side. Next time you are out there, these a a nice 30 mile dirt section that will take you from just outside Mecca and end up at Chriaco Summit. I think it was called the "Bradshaw Trail". This trial goes by an old Railroade Tressle.

Rightious. Thanks for the tips and pics guys. Crawdaddy, quad-tard training looked pretty fun actually. I might have to get me one of those things . . . . :D I checked out the gps tracks and waypoints you had in your post. Thanks, that is some good stuff!

Kevin, thank you for the tips on the route amigo. I'll have to see if I can find that one. I have TOPO U.S. now, so it makes it pretty cool for map/route planning. I have to admit, it is not as cool as it should be, but way better than nothing for sure. I'm glad to hear you guys have been getting out there!

Troy, we did the same ride two weeks ago. The east side of the Salton Sea is a much nicer ride than the west side. Next time you are out there, these a a nice 30 mile dirt section that will take you from just outside Mecca and end up at Chriaco Summit. I think it was called the "Bradshaw Trail". This trial goes by an old Railroade Tressle.

Kevin,

You are right, it is called the Bradshaw Trail. It goes from just South of Mecca all the way to the Colorado River just South of Blyth. A friend and I took it this weekend. It's 92 miles each way (we stayed over in Blyth). It runs just north of the Chocolate Mountian Gunnery range most of the way. Great trail! If you ever want a route to the river, this is it. Here are some pictures below.

post-458-1194317475_thumb.jpg

post-458-1194317552_thumb.jpg

post-458-1194317622_thumb.jpg

post-458-1194317735_thumb.jpg

post-458-1194317801_thumb.jpg

Great ride report Troy! Thanks for sharing. Great pictures! I have never seen the Salton Sea, and have always been curious. I have heard it's all polluted and smelly. But, as you demonstrated, there is also great beauty. And going through Borrego Springs seems like fun! :D

I will bring a rod next time for sure just to see if they are still there. :D

Great write-up Troy, but be careful with the fishing :D

Q: How do you make a fish smell worse?

A: Pull it out of the Salton Sea :D

Same thing with the ducks. I felt bad for shooting some once and not being able to eat them because they smelled so rotten whern I cleaned 'em :D

I have some fond memories of that place as we used to camp there with the Elks when I was a kid. It didn't smell quite as bad as it does now...

Kevin,

You are right, it is called the Bradshaw Trail. It goes from just South of Mecca all the way to the Colorado River just South of Blyth. A friend and I took it this weekend. It's 92 miles each way (we stayed over in Blyth). It runs just north of the Chocolate Mountian Gunnery range most of the way. Great trail! If you ever want a route to the river, this is it. Here are some pictures below.

Thanks Bruce. There is also a junction off of the Bradshaw Trail-cant remember the name, that will take you north and you will come out close the the General Patton Museum/I-10. This trail goes right between two Wilderness preserves. The tree huggers tried to get this trail, but falied. The museum is cool for only $4.00!

Wow, nice one guys ! Classic photos and some awesome trails-from-the-"D"-Side (D is for DESERT) ! I want to go check out that trail right now !

Since my visit, the Salton Sea has really drawn me in somehow. Maybe it's because it tried to eat my motorcycle . . . Anyways, I've been doing some research on that place, and it is even more strange than I had expected. It is quite an ongoing saga. I'm sure I'll be ready for another visit sometime soon. It's not really that far from home, and worth the trip for sure, especially if you have not seen it before.

Rob, you remember it in the 70's when it was different, right? You've seen some of the changes that have taken place. I'd like to talk more with you about that some time. Apparently, the Salton Sea had a little 'Hey-Day' there way back in the 50's and 60's. It was paradise ! Not any more. I remember pulling in to some wierd deserted 'camp ground' on the shore. I was like 'cool, I can camp here, but why would I want to do that . . ' It's sad really.

Well enough tree hugger ramblings. So who's up for riding this Bradshaw trail ?? :)

The saga continues . . this article was interesting:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/2...1n30salton.html

Alot of people dont realize that the Salton Sea is man made. It used to be called the Salton Sink until the Railroad Company built a Cofure Dam to curb the mighty Colorado River. This dam then broke, thus the Colorado river filled the Salton Sink-now called the Salton Sea. When the Dam/river was repaired, fresh water was no longer going to the Salton Sea, thus it has been dying ever since. Pyro, you plan the ride to the Bradshaw trail, and the "BMW Ghost Riders" will be there!

So who's up for riding this Bradshaw trail ?? :)

When?

The "BMW Ghost Riders" will be out of town the whole week of Thanksgiving as we are riding the State Of Arizona. Other that that week, we are game!(and of course the weekend in December for the International Motorcycle Show)

So who's up for riding this Bradshaw trail ?? :)

When?

I also would be very interested in this ride!

Ron

:)

The "BMW Ghost Riders" will be out of town the whole week of Thanksgiving as we are riding the State Of Arizona. Other that that week, we are game!(and of course the weekend in December for the International Motorcycle Show)

Awesome Kevin ! I can't wait to ride with the Ghost Riders and all else who are interested ! I'll post a planning thread soon so we can get this thing together.