Sign in to follow this  
Honda90

Just destroyed right side case 2000 XR600R

Trying to help my son install a kickstart return spring; broke the case. What's the next step (after crying)?

Should I buy a case on ebay? Is there a local salvage? Should I buy a donor bike or a full motor?

Bewildered and sick.

Pictures please...

They will help with the decision process...

There's Stockers in Chula Vista http://www.street-n-dirt.com/

Go there with your case for an example. They're okay in person but don't rely on info given over the phone....they don't have it together in that area. Some salvage place in Escondido, too.

Online of course. There's Bikeboneyard http://www.bikeboneyard.com/ and you can call for a more current inventory.

Inner engine case, or outer?

Yes, check with the salvage in Escondido. Last year I sold them a 1999 XR600 that wasn't running. They could have parts from it still.

Inner engine case, or outer?

It's the socket that the kickstarter spindle fits into. I appreciate the advice. My shade tree mechanic days are over.

post-15323-0-74313100-1395507743_thumb.j

post-15323-0-00052600-1395507806_thumb.j

You'll be needing new engine cases, they are a matched set. That means a complete engine tear down, put all of your pieces in the new set of cases and build it all back up. Lots of labor.

I'd be looking for either a complete lower end or a complete motor unless you want to swap all the parts into a bare case. Lots of them on Ebay.

The place in Escondido is North County Motorcycle Salvage Center on Auto Park Way. I used them for obscure parts 25 years ago and they often had complete motors sitting in the back (Was more like Ecology Auto Wrecking back then, rummage through the milk crates to pick your parts.) and occasionally made calls to a place called North County Motorcycle Recycler but they never had what I was looking for and I'm not sure the latter is even still in business. Either might have a whole motor available. Spin the wheel and try your luck.

I called the place in Esco, and they are out of the salvage biz. I bought a right side case on Ebay this morning for 130 shipped. Did not know about the matched pair deal. Looks like I am getting stoopider.

Left a message with Allen Fox's wife at Fox Engine Works in Alpine. Hoping for some magical answer.

Well, that's what everyone says....the cases are machined as a pair. Chances are pretty good that you could swap just one side with no issues, but since you need to pull the engine completely apart it's a lot to consider.

Doing it yourself? I could assist....

Scott and Mac at North County Motorcycle salvage 1-760-746-7467 Escondido.

There is a place next to BMW motorcycles in Escondido that has been parting alot of bikes out and sells everything on Ebay...Call tricky Ricky at BMW...He will tell you the # or name of the place.

Scott and Mac at North County Motorcycle salvage 1-760-746-7467 Escondido.

There is a place next to BMW motorcycles in Escondido that has been parting alot of bikes out and sells everything on Ebay...Call tricky Ricky at BMW...He will tell you the # or name of the place.

Damaged Goods is the place next to BMW.

Ouch on the cases. Honda 600 ,s are realy basic to work on.

Update.

Thank you guys. Sorry that I missed your craigslist links. Thank you for trying to help us.

I bought a right side only from eBay. Ben pulled the motor and we took it to Allen Fox of Fox Engine Works in Alpine. He swapped everything with new gaskets and o-rings, etc, and "cut" the exhaust valves for $695. Ben re-installed the motor in one afternoon. It started third kick, and now it starts first kick almost every time and runs perfectly. (Even his Mikuni 41 which was a mess magically began to work great. We did shoot various orifices with WD40 while we had it off the bike.)

As for the matching, there is something to that. We have one leak in the top of the case behind the head. Allen said he did treat it with sealant due to their being mismatched, and that he would make it seal if we would bring it back. I googled the issue and found that Permatex makes a spray designed to seal low-pressure leaks from the outside. We may try that.

I like Allen Fox and plan to use him in the future. He seems honest, sincere, and competent.

Thanks again for all your advice. So glad this chapter of bike debacles is over.