mtnmanseth

DR650 Smoking on Startup - TrophyHunter?

Hey All,

I'm trying to get a hold of TrophyHunter regarding the DR650 problem discussed below... I wrote this in a PM to him but get a "Can't recieve more messages" error. Is there another way to contact members? Will someone relay the following the TrophyHunter and PM me back? Thanks all!

TrophyHunter,

Once upon a time you offered to help me if I had any issues with my DR650. Well, that time has come. My bike is a 2007 model with only 8,000 miles but it has started smoking white smoke at startup lately, which clears up entirely after it gets warm (maybe 4-5 minutes into a ride). It seems to have the same power and response. I've read it could be valve stem seals and/or even piston rings. I must admit that I've NEVER EVER adjusted/checked the valves and they have been HARD miles on the bike thus far... but all other maintenance (oil changes, etc) has been impecable. I don't know how to adjust the valves, the bikes always ran/sounded fine, so I just haven't done it. I know... bike abuse. Anyway, before I get too far into research what's wrong with the bike or purchase a hi-compression piston set and replacement valve stem seals the guys at ProCycle suggested I check/adjust the valves, which MIGHT take care of the smoking problem. Can you/will you help me check my valves? I have a brand new feeler gauge and the special DR650 valve adjustment tool, just don't know what to do. Yes, I can check YouTube, but I'll buy pizza and beer if you're willing to walk me through it one of these nights. I'll come to you, or I have all the tools and a work space at my place in Encinitas. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

mtnmanseth

smoking on start up, typically valve guides or more simply valve guide seals.

Glad to help. As Robert said, most likely seals but odd at that mileage unless dirt has been getting in there. Have you done the NSU screws? My thought - ride to my house, we'll do the NSU's if they haven't been done and loosen the engine plugs giving access to set TDC for the valve check/adjust. It needs to be done cold so doing the NSU's will give us time for it to cool.

HEY GOOFY - you watchin? We can do your NSU's at the same time.

I have all the tools, also. If that doesn't work, warm the bike up and take the 2 access plugs out then let cool overnight and I'll come up.

I cleared up my mailbox - keeping PM's from Bikeslut cuz he's my celebrity crush :coolio:

Awesome!! I'll come to you and bring any other tools we'll need... I'll just trailer the bike to your place so it's cold, no worries. I haven't done the NSU screws yet, nope. Sounds like a good plan! Please contact me at sjarsky@msn.com

I'd say valve seals or guides also. Do the valve check/adjust first but even if the valves were out of spec it wouldn't cause white smoke.

Agreed from reading but no practical experience like you and others have, Tom & Robert. If you guys think it should be more while we're in there, advise and let seth decide which steps to take.

Sounds good Seth - just loosen those plugs the night prior. I have an extra case gasket for the clutch side but haven't had to use it yet and I've done 6 now. The factory glues the stock seal to the case side and it normally comes off undamaged.

Will email you later.

Hmmm thanks Robert and tntmo... so, replacing the valve seals/guides is a B-I-G job, right? Head off and all? I guess I'll cross that bridge when I ride to it. Parts aren't too bad, less than $300 for a new piston/rings + seals/guides... just surprised if it needs such repairs after 8,000 miles. Ahh well, we'll start with the valves and a rough internal inspection and see what we see. Hopefully won't back back on here pleading with someone to help me pull the head!

Cheers guys

You are in good hands there Seth!

If the air filter wasn't seated properly, or the boot from the airbox to the carb was not installed correctly then I can see it happening at that low of mileage. Or just faulty parts from the factory.

Getting the head off the bike is a fairly big job, but not too difficult. Probably 1.5 hours to get it off and ready for inspection.

Just take a good look at it and get everything in specs, if it's still smoking after that we have plenty of good folks here who are willing to help.

Is your GasGas a 2 stroke? You know not to run the premix in your DR right!? Haha jk.

Valve seals at 8000 miles but hard riding, how is your air filter? Dirt introduced to the head is no bueno - maybe it scored the seat? Im just thinking out loud here. Maybe an oil leak somewhere?

So pizza, beer and bike maintenance.. I'd like to bring my DR to the party too. I could do this Saturday but not next weekend. Weekday nights work as well.

I have two Uni air filters that I swap in and out of the bike after rides/trips, both are in like new condition, frequently maintained (cleaned, dried, oiled). Never had an issue or concern with the air filters or fitting them to the bike. I did pull the carb to rejet and other mods at about 1,000 miles but reassembly went well and I'm V-E-R-Y "detail oriented" when it comes to working on my "scooters". I don't believe there's been an air leak to introduce dirt into the motor. Buuuuttttt...... you never know. Thanks for all the ideas guys! Pumped to drink, eat, and wrench with Ken and Goofy!

This is the best forum ever made in the history of the interweb, thanks guys.

Hey TrophyHunter. I must also admit to NOT doing the NSU's yet. I, heading to Mikes this weekend, if it is on another weekend i would sure like to go!! :)

I don't have a DR but sounds like a cool time. Maybe another time though, this weekend CLAVMX at Cahilla Creek.

It's on for Sunday but we can always do it again. Da wimminfolk are gone from 10 - 3 so I figure we'd get Seth's knocked out and if Goofy can make it...........

I have to get to another CalVMX event, Kelly. Good times.

Hey gang,

Just wanted to send a quick THANK YOU to Ken (aka "The DR Doctor") for successfully helping me perform surgery on my DR on Sunday. We changed the oil, checked the valves (which were in spec), and removed/replaced the NSU screws. My bike still smokes on startup (3-4 minutes) so.... next step... pull the head and replace the valve seals/guides and high-compression piston. It ran perfect during our ride through the Otay Truck Trail after reassembly, so I need to decide whether to embark on a head-pulling mission. But, that's another story...

Thanks, Ken, Tom, Tim, Dave, Aaron for all your help Sunday. High five!!!

borat-high-five.jpg

Extended time between use may dry out valve guide seals causing them to leak.