Chief Gunner

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly with my XR

Guest Hammerin Hammon

No kidding Hammer. For the typical cost of your showroom floor KTM my XR + a hell of a lot of mods would make a seriously modded and more reliable 330 pound motorcycle for less money. If only it weighed 50 pounds less. :boast: I took a ride in McCain a few weeks back with a bunch of 2 stroke Katooms and I was able to hang with them on all the terrain we covered. They were certainly quicker than me, but I'm on a stock bike with 50/50 tires and they were riding VERY modded 100 pound lighter bikes....

Most of gunners problems were happenstance and could happen to anybody's bike. Aaron, I hope you get your bike fixed soon. I'll be back in a few weeks and we gotta ride.

On your bike you could also ride there and back from LA. It is heavier for a reason, it is a beter street bike. :boast:

On a XR 650 you can win a Baja 1000 re fuel the bike and ride home to Alaska. :lol:

I also dont seem to have any problems keeping up or blowing by KTM,s

It's not about the bike it is about the rider. I had a stock KLR with weak (maybe blown) front shocks that I loaned to a strictly dirt rider so that we could do a dual-sport run thru borrego.This guy kept-up and was often faster than me on my KTM. But I know the KTM was a much better bike in the dirt. Anyway He ended up buying a BRP Dual-sport bike even though he Is a KTM Rider.

Here are some more arguements about it from ADV Rider. Seems most prefer the Honda.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279362

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5594720

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread....highlight=honda

Not to join in the fray . . . oh what the hell!!

Who said KTMs come with everything? My buddy just got a new KTM 5something. No skid plate. No hand gaurds. And there was something else essential it needed . . . can't remember. Awesome bike but not complete out of the box!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I also dont seem to have any problems keeping up or blowing by KTM,s

It's not about the bike it is about the rider.

Thats why I chose the most dependable bike I could find that can do almost anything.

MX,Baja trips with wife and surfboard,SDAR rides,Trips to the store and work, hardcore technical rides. :boast:

Buy a Honda, with all the money you saved , and will continue to save on maintanance, you can buy lots of rideing lesons.

Since my day is already screwed: BLING BASHING FORUM NOW! :D:D

It was going to go that way anyway so I thought that I would have some fun with it.

KIP

Not to join in the fray . . . oh what the hell!!

Who said KTMs come with everything? No one said they come with everything! Someone misquoted me as saying that.-KIP

My buddy just got a new KTM 5something. Oh the KTM 5!?! WTF :D

No skid plate. No hand gaurds. And there was something else essential it needed . . . can't remember. Probably a set of Motard Wheels

Awesome bike Probably the only factual statement here

Desmog it front to rear What newer bike does not require this?

new pipe Stock most KTM pipes are Stainless

rape carberator Is that legal? How does the Carberator feel about this?

It's not about the bike it is about the rider. An unskilled rider should not attempt to ride any KTM Thats why I chose the most dependable bike I could find that can do almost anything. You are describing a KLR MX,Baja trips with wife and surfboard,SDAR rides,Trips to the store and work, hardcore technical rides. :D

Buy a Honda, with all the money you saved , and will continue to save on maintanance, you can buy lots of rideing lesons.

I had a CDI fail on my XR650L when I owned it. Luckily I had picked up a complete parts bike for $200 and it's CDI was good. Electrical parts are always expensive.

Every Honda Owner should pick-up a cheap parts bike If they can

Hey Gunner!

Sorry I hijacked your thread, but it was fun to play the devils advocate and wave a KTM flag. It reminds me of the Ford vs Chevy retoric in High School. Anyway I hope Motoworld hooks you up again. How about an update on the BRP?--KIP

I agree with KIP, the XRl 650 is the best bike ever!

Especially the 1991 Vintage! :D

My 93 XR650l "Trigger" has been super reliable, but you do have to take into account my gentle style and mad riding skills! :D

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Anyway whatever. I am takeing some computer classes this month. I will check into an english class next month. As long as I get to blow by KTMs I will always be happy, whatever I ride.

I never cared for English because it takes STUDS to build houses. Craig.

Quick update 4 ya's.....Dropped the Pig off Yesterday morning at Motoworld. Showed the issue to Thomas (a.k.a "Doc") and he agreed that my warranty should cover it. Since I'm out of town not having the pig is no issue but I just hope it does not take too long to get it fixed.

Soon as I get her back I'll be looking for riding partners to do a Supermoto ride on some of the local twisties! :D

Gunz

Quick update 4 ya's.....Dropped the Pig off Yesterday morning at Motoworld. Showed the issue to Thomas (a.k.a "Doc") and he agreed that my warranty should cover it. Since I'm out of town not having the pig is no issue but I just hope it does not take too long to get it fixed.

Soon as I get her back I'll be looking for riding partners to do a Supermoto ride on some of the local twisties! :D

Gunz

ME! ME! PICK ME PICK ME. Supermoto wheelie machine :D:D:D

...Supermoto wheelie machine :D:D:D

The true measure of a Sensei is his ability to successfully inmpat his knowledge and skill upon his students - so when does the wheelie master start class? :)

Quick swap and we soop... :D

Just got off the phone with Motoworld, the repair work and parts are covered under the Extended waranty I bought with the bike.... ;):D

After this repair and the Starter it has just about paid for itself (by covering the cost of parts and labor) :blink:

So for now I'm a happy camper, the only thing that bothers me is the waiting.

But knowing it's gonna be okay is a good feeling.