paulmbowers

Current Communication Equipment

Nice! Saved. Thanks Daniel.

Yep, and if you have any questions about the baofengs feel free to ask....4 have of them haha, though one has a bad screen. When they break...you just buy another!

Great Thread Guys! Thanks!

Based on recommendations, i ordered all of the recommended stuff from RR.

I also opted for the Baofung, for now. If i understand all of this correctly, if i decide to switch radios later, all i need to change is the jumper?

If i read this correctly, the Baofung does not work on the SDAR freq, but can be modified to??

Also, what do you all recommend for an external antenna?

THanks a lot

Kevin

Which PTT is this and where did you get it? Thanks

Used to be sold by Rugged Radios, no longer on their website.

I also opted for the Baofung, for now. If i understand all of this correctly, if i decide to switch radios later, all i need to change is the jumper?

If i read this correctly, the Baofung does not work on the SDAR freq, but can be modified to??

THanks a lot

Kevin

Baofeng DOES work on 146.505- no problem. Yes, changing the jumper will allow the use of other radios.

Dunno about the antenna on the Bao- Arfy, you around?

THanks a lot

Kevin

The UV-5R operates on the necessary frequency to run the "SDAR" Freq.

When you say external antenna are you wanting to simply put a different "rubber duck" antenna on it or are you wanting to run an external antenna like linked below? This is the antenna I run on my cheap mobile unit in the Jeep. Works ok but is cheap. This would be a bit difficult to find a good mounting point on your bike though and I don't see you getting a lot of extra range out of it compared to just mounting the radio with the rubber duck on it to your handle bars.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Antenna-UT-108UV-SMA-Female-wholesaler/dp/B00DTQ4A6M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409891989&sr=8-2&keywords=dual+band+antenna

Honestly on the bike the rubber duck antenna such as the one linked below this should work just fine since you aren't trying to talk though a car's cage.

http://www.amazon.com/NAGOYA-NA-701-Antenna-BAOFENG-KG-UVD1P/dp/B00BY3XOSW/ref=pd_tcs_compl_e_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=05H8PP6DTZJFJD7PDHVB

There is also this option but the length on this one makes it a big ungainly when using it for most operations. I own both a 701 and 771 antenna and find myself using the 701 more often than the 771.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Nagoya-Antenna-BAOFENG-KG-UVD1P/dp/B00BY3XN7E/ref=pd_tcs_compl_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QEFJ8DZPWKQ5XDGWNN4#productDetails

THanks a lot

Kevin

The UV-5R operates on the necessary frequency to run the "SDAR" Freq.

When you say external antenna are you wanting to simply put a different "rubber duck" antenna on it or are you wanting to run an external antenna like linked below? This is the antenna I run on my cheap mobile unit in the Jeep. Works ok but is cheap. This would be a bit difficult to find a good mounting point on your bike though and I don't see you getting a lot of extra range out of it compared to just mounting the radio with the rubber duck on it to your handle bars.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Antenna-UT-108UV-SMA-Female-wholesaler/dp/B00DTQ4A6M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409891989&sr=8-2&keywords=dual+band+antenna

Honestly on the bike the rubber duck antenna such as the one linked below this should work just fine since you aren't trying to talk though a car's cage.

http://www.amazon.com/NAGOYA-NA-701-Antenna-BAOFENG-KG-UVD1P/dp/B00BY3XOSW/ref=pd_tcs_compl_e_7?ie=UTF8&refRID=05H8PP6DTZJFJD7PDHVB

There is also this option but the length on this one makes it a big ungainly when using it for most operations. I own both a 701 and 771 antenna and find myself using the 701 more often than the 771.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Nagoya-Antenna-BAOFENG-KG-UVD1P/dp/B00BY3XN7E/ref=pd_tcs_compl_e_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QEFJ8DZPWKQ5XDGWNN4#productDetails

Thanks.

I noticed everyone running these had something similar to this:

Considering radio will be in my camelback, i assume having a longer atenna to protrude out would be idea.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Note: VacMan purchased the BaoFeng and brought it by the studio yesterday. It will not tune to the SDAR-used frequency of 146.505, but functions perfectly well at 146.500- we tested it with my Yaesu. I'm confident a smarter member will chime in downstream on this thread and tell use what that works tecnhically, but fear not if that happens to you.

This is why i double checked to make sure Baofend worked on SDAR freq

Thanks

Note: VacMan purchased the BaoFeng and brought it by the studio yesterday. It will not tune to the SDAR-used frequency of 146.505, but functions perfectly well at 146.500- we tested it with my Yaesu. I'm confident a smarter member will chime in downstream on this thread and tell use what that works tecnhically, but fear not if that happens to you.

This is why i double checked to make sure Baofend worked on SDAR freq

Thanks

Considering radio will be in my camelback, i assume having a longer atenna to protrude out would be idea.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Technically, it's not a matter of longer, but specific tuned length. Every frequency has an optimum antenna length- the higher the frequency,the shorter the antenna length. If you've ever driven through the South Bay and noticed the large circular area to the west, that's a LONG WAVE naval communications facility.

Our radios use a compromise antenna, optimized for use over the wide range of frequencies offered by the radio. Also kept short for portability and rugged-ability, which is not really a word.

These aftermarket antennas work well for a very specific range of frequencies, 146.505/(0) being one of them.

Antenna length and antenna height are often mistakenly confused.

Thanks Paul

I remember back in the day using an SWR meter to tune the tip of CB antennas when we were doing the 4x4 thing. Differences were quite amazing with a properly tuned antenna.

I ordered the 2 that DOWNS posted because they are cheap, so what the heck. Should be up and running soon!

Kevin

The 701 is a good choice. The longer 771 works good on my radio but like I said gets in the way a bit more. I've almost poked myself in the eye with it before. :P

I bought a 701 after our trip to death valley after noticing people having one-way conversations when they were right next to me. They could hear people talking further up the hill and were replying...I couldn't hear the people up the hill, only the replies. I haven't tried it out since but I'm hoping it will be better than stock.

Ok.. Packaged arrived from RR earlier and I have everything installed pretty nicely in helmet..

Ear speakers a but thick and uncomfortable for my fat head but no biggy, I'll figure something out.

Question: When not using the comms/radio, what's the trick for securing the wires?

Majority of my riding buddies don't use comms and I'm fine with that, will only be using them on certain rides.

Whats the trick to secure the cables when not using radio?

Thanks

Kevin

For me, there are no wires to secure. The helmet has a small pigtail/plug on the back and the PTT switch stays on the bike. The rest is removed.

I shave the foam off the backside of the helmet speakers to get more room.

Nope. They happily live there.

Hmmm.

All installed and secured, i have about 10" of wire for the pigtail, and wire for the headphone jack to pump in some Bieber hanging off the back of my helmet.

Did you just tuck the wiring into the helmet under the paddnig until just the pigtails were exposed?

Thanks

I just loop the helmet cable back on itself and zip-tie the plug to the cable. As for the speakers I have used a dremel tool with a burr bit to carve out a pocket in the helmet foam for the speakers. If the speakers are causing you discomfort they will really be annoying by the end of a long ride. I don't think the foam around your ears is critical to the helmets performance but that's a choice you need to make. In my 6D helmet it's a little more difficult due to the suspension system that the 6D has. In that case I took the speakers out of the cloth\foam covers. Then I cut the cloth that covered just the front side of the speaker and hot glued it over the speaker, then hot glued the speaker into the helmet. This makes the speaker assy much thinner and it does not contact my ears whatsoever. Done a couple of hundred miles with this setup and so far it has held up well.

I just loop the helmet cable back on itself and zip-tie the plug to the cable. As for the speakers I have used a dremel tool with a burr bit to carve out a pocket in the helmet foam for the speakers. If the speakers are causing you discomfort they will really be annoying by the end of a long ride. I don't think the foam around your ears is critical to the helmets performance but that's a choice you need to make. In my 6D helmet it's a little more difficult due to the suspension system that the 6D has. In that case I took the speakers out of the cloth\foam covers. Then I cut the cloth that covered just the front side of the speaker and hot glued it over the speaker, then hot glued the speaker into the helmet. This makes the speaker assy much thinner and it does not contact my ears whatsoever. Done a couple of hundred miles with this setup and so far it has held up well.

Thanks. Its all being installed in a BRAND NEW never worn Shoei VFX-w after replacing the one from my yard sale that has a hole in it, ha!

Dremel to the speaker area foam sounds like an option, i will take a closer look at it.

Thanks

Did you just tuck the wiring into the helmet under the paddnig until just the pigtails were exposed?

Yes.

I use small strips of adhesive-backed velcro- the hook side- folded over the wires, then tuck it up in the padding/shell. I use a foam-tape backed plastic tie-down thingy on the back of the helmet to keep my plug happily erect and prepared for one-hand operation.

BTW: That music input jack in mono and sounds awful.post-399-0-30079300-1410357874.jpeg

Yes.

I use small strips of adhesive-backed velcro- the hook side- folded over the wires, then tuck it up in the padding/shell. I use a foam-tape backed plastic tie-down thingy on the back of the helmet to keep my plug happily erect and prepared for one-hand operation.

BTW: That music input jack in mono and sounds awful.attachicon.gifhelmet.jpeg

Perfect. thanks.

Yeah, as for the music jack, i expected poor quality, but i just use the music for background noise when riding dirt. On long street rides, my road helmet music is great!

Is there an easy fix to get better sounds quality or it is fairly involved/

Thanks