paulmbowers

Current Communication Equipment

Here's a list of current suggestions to equip yourself to talk with many SDAR members during rides. Yes, there are other ways, some might even work. But this is really what you want:

Rugged Radios Motorcycle Single Kit without Radio $199
http://www.ruggedrad...products_id=586

MC-BASIC-MOTORCYCLE-KIT-MD.jpg

You'll need to select a PTT switch- they have one of three or four options included in this kit. Velcro is the most flexible, but awkward to mount in an easy spot on the bike. PTT switches also tend to fail, so I suggest buying an additional PTT- I'd get one like this, their $70 XL perch mount PTT-MC-PM-XL:

PTT-MC-PERCH-XL-MD.jpg

PbdBlue and Bagster like this version- $50 seems like it might be a better choice, but a longer thumb might help.

PTT-MC-BM-MD.jpg

but check what works with your bike. Then you have the velcro version for backup.

Then you need a "radio jumper":

CJ-VERT-Vertex-Radio-Jumper-MD.jpg

which adapts the radio harness to your selection of radios -more about radios later. The Yaesu radios use the CJ-vert $25 and the BaoFeng uses a CJ-10, which is not on the website- you'll have to call Rugged Radios.

For the Yaesu radios, there is an even better and more costly (must be better, right?) jumper, the CC-HX370 at $40:
http://www.ruggedrad...products_id=161

CC-HX370-Vertex-Coil-Cord-MD.jpg

I currently recommend the $38 BaoFeng UV-5R,

Baofeng_UV5R__41041.1359064593.1280.1280

a damn bargain when compared to the mildly superior Yaesu.

I like Amazon, but they're available in many places:

http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/B007H4VT7A

Note: VacMan purchased the BaoFeng and brought it by the studio yesterday. It will not tune to the SDAR-used frequency of 146.505, but functions perfectly well at 146.500- we tested it with my Yaesu. I'm confident a smarter member will chime in downstream on this thread and tell use what that works tecnhically, but fear not if that happens to you.

Another choice is the Yaesu FT-270r, which is probably more rugged and weatherproof. I've used mine for nearly 8 years without a hitch. Great radio, but about $100 more (price varies) than the BaoFeng. It looks like this:

zys-ft-270r.jpg

and can be purchased here, among other places.

There you are- now go read the very long thread about communications which includes important discussion about the FCC and the grey shadows of legality in which many riders operate.

Here is a link to the Mother Thread.

Be informed on Federal Law about these devices, scoff the law at your own risk.

The most-used frequency for SDAR riders is 146.505.

Thanks Paul for putting this all togeather in one spot.

I got my set up just like this and now I don,t have to wave like a crazy man any more at Paul when he rides past. :)

An excellent, photographically annotated how-to/setup guide for the rider's guide to 2 meter ham. Hopefully I'll be passing the test on Saturday and can legally begin using my setup to get familiar with it. Another plus on the uv-5ra is you can listen to FM while also monitoring the other bands, it just breaks through when there is a transmission on what you're set to monitor. With the cable and chirp software you can import local repeater frequency setups straight from the repeater directory or clone the setup from another rider with the same type radio. It's recommended to get a different antenna than the factory but for a throw away its good. If you watch Amazon for all of the uv-5r variants I've seen new as cheap as $28 and I picked mine up for $30.01 because I didn't jump fast enough on the $28 sale. All accessories (Programming cable, recommended aftermarket antenna, and radio package) together with a different antenna was $42.22 with free shipping over $35, which is excellent for just the radio side of it. The chirp software is free and very well documented although rough on finish. The mike and speaker plug is compatible with the Kenwood business radios I use at work with the lapel mike so that opens you up to a possibility of upgrading to a Kenwood unit at a later date with no big loss on the original radio headgear investment. Just thought I'd elaborate on the benefits/upward compatibility for those that are on a ramen radio budget.

Just a comment on the Baufeng vs the Yaesu. Been a licensed ham (KD6ULJ) for over 15 years and owned a lot of radios. The UV5R is not a bad radio for an incredibly low price. It does have some short comings. Most notably the squelch circuitry is not as refined as the Yaesu and the squelch tail is noticeably more pronounced. Some may find this annoying particularly with a helmet headset. Also the front end (receiver section) selectivity on the Baufeng is not as tolerant of intermod (interference from transmissions on nearby frequencies). If you are on a budget the Baufeng will get the job done however if cost is not as much of a concern the Yaesu is a much better radio. The VX-170\FT-270 series of Yaesu's are very robust radios. I have three Yaesu's that have been in service for over 5 years of hard use w\o issue. Recently bought a couple of Baufeng's and so far they are doing fine.

Also here's an alternative PTT. If you have space next to the headlight\turnsignal switch this one fits nicely. Don't know how to embed the link. Paul - can you add this to the thread?

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=294_19&products_id=584

I run the narrow switch assembly on all my bikes so it fits between the switch and the grip.

Do anyone know if there is radio jumper which has an additional input lead for a phone or ipad. Basically it would be the same speaker plug that Rugged uses up on the headset wiring. I just do not like the additional wiring running up to the helmet, plus the connector Rugged used is heavy and slaps my helmet. I have removed the input up at the headset and would like to have the input down close to the radio and store my ipod/phone/music input along side my radio? :blink:

Do anyone know if there is radio jumper which has an additional input lead for a phone or ipad. Basically it would be the same speaker plug that Rugged uses up on the headset wiring. I just do not like the additional wiring running up to the helmet, plus the connector Rugged used is heavy and slaps my helmet. I have removed the input up at the headset and would like to have the input down close to the radio and store my ipod/phone/music input along side my radio? :blink:

Do anyone know if there is radio jumper which has an additional input lead for a phone or ipad. Basically it would be the same speaker plug that Rugged uses up on the headset wiring. I just do not like the additional wiring running up to the helmet, plus the connector Rugged used is heavy and slaps my helmet. I have removed the input up at the headset and would like to have the input down close to the radio and store my ipod/phone/music input along side my radio? blink.gif

Yes.

Rugged offers the Offroad Helmet Kit with Flex Boom and 3.5mm Ear Bud Jack $105

HK-OFSP-3.5-M-MD.jpg

Then you'd need to purchase the harness and radio jumper seperately.

I'm very big on riding with music, and I don't use one of these because:

1. It's monaural.

2. Speakers deliver awful quality sound.

But I'm kind of fussy.

That is the exact set up I have. I do not like that speaker input..( fussy as well) and I am looking for an input down lower in the harness, not up at the helmet. I am going to check with PCI, they might have something

That is the exact set up I have. I do not like that speaker input..( fussy as well) and I am looking for an input down lower in the harness, not up at the helmet. I am going to check with PCI, they might have something

If no one makes one you could make your own with a jumper between the radio adapter and the main harness. The connector is a 5 pin mini-XLR which you can get from Mouser, Digikey, etc. It will not be stereo but then the headset isn't either.

There is also some concern (valid or not) about running a signal (the iPod) INTO the output of the radio, then flipped when the radio pushes signat into the output of the ipod. I've never heard of a problem, but that ain't the way it's supposed to work.

However.

That 3.5mm jack can also be used for earbuds instead of speakers. Advantage of earbuds is the noise attenuation they offer, especially for long road rides with high wind noise.

Also here's an alternative PTT. If you have space next to the headlight\turnsignal switch this one fits nicely. Don't know how to embed the link. Paul - can you add this to the thread?

http://www.ruggedrad...products_id=584

I run the narrow switch assembly on all my bikes so it fits between the switch and the grip.

Second the motion on this PTT. More sturdy than the single post mount and it does not swivel around in use. cool.gif

Thanks for the suggestions... I started with ear buds utilizing the speaker input, then unsolder the input and solder in the ear buds... but it was getting messy. Too much stuff dangling around, took too long to pull my helmet off and on. My helmet looked like a fishing lure with all this stuff dangling out of it. Now I am back to simple, clean, one plug, can easily pull helmet off... do not need three hands or someone else to help. But I do sort of miss having music for long rides.

My new baofeng is being delivered today thanks to the magic of Amazon. I would like to figure out a way to use my own earbuds, maybe by using a sena or some other sort of Bluetooth accessory? I know it has been done, I just need to figure out the best way. It sure would be nice to be able to easily move between bikes also.

My new baofeng is being delivered today thanks to the magic of Amazon. I would like to figure out a way to use my own earbuds, maybe by using a sena or some other sort of Bluetooth accessory? I know it has been done, I just need to figure out the best way. It sure would be nice to be able to easily move between bikes also.

Jim has done this with a Sena setup- sounds awfully complicated, but also connects phone and gps. I'll ping him off-forum to see if he will magically appear.

Waterproof-Connector-250px.gif

So.

Looks like Rugged has changed their connector to this new "DuraLink" system. It appears the electrical potion is the same, but they added a color or hood over the connection area.

I think it's OK, but have some concern that it would make sudden and unexpected disconnection (when experiencing sudden and unexpected gravity pockets) a little more difficult.

I'll update the first post soon.

Here, be transfixed by this .gif.

Along these lines, I'm running a bluetooth connected to my phone for music and I'm running a Baofeng UV5R with this helmet set:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTUEZ3Q/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They both have nearly identical speakers, but I can't fit both pairs in my helmet's ear pockets cleanly. Anyone know if I can connect them both to one pair of speakers? Would it be a simple cut & splice? I don't want to fry the BT or the UV5R...

Music, radio, phone, and Bluetooth:

I have a 990 and 'Berg 570, and want a good big bike, long miles listening to tunes and call mama solution, as well as a dirt bike, connected to riding buddies via radio solution. Also want to talk to mama the few times she's on the back of the bike. I run the same tank bag on both bikes, radio in the bag.

My setup:

How it works:

• Radio is connected to the SR-10 via a jumper cable, all in the tank bag.
  • PTT on the bars, cord goes into tank bag.
  • Turn on SMH-5, connects automagically to the phone.
  • Turn on SR-10 and pair it to SMH-5 --> you press 2 buttons on each device, some lights on each start blinking for about 20 secs, SMH-5 tells me when "media is connected."
  • Get a comm check via 2-way radio with riding partners.
  • Turn on Pandora or music on iPhone.
  • Get another comm check --> key the PTT, music stops, "you this is me," get reply, music starts back up again.
  • Ride

Widespread Water Panic

Here is another way to block water at the connectors. .25 and .5 ID O-Rings

DSCN13011000w-L.jpg

DSCN13001000w-L.jpg

DSCN13031000w-L.jpg

DSCN13081000w-L.jpg

DSCN13071000w-L.jpg

DSCN13021000w-L.jpg

DSCN13041000w-L.jpg

It's true, water can be an issue. Last trip with BikeSlut, after the water crossing, he'd unplug when off his bike and hold the PTT plug with wet gloves. This caused an open-mic condition.

Traveling through Titus Canyon several years ago in a snowstorm, many of our rigs were shorting with open mics. Got pretty interesting hearing other's self-commentary (like most of us do).

If the o-rings are too fat to allow the connecter to close far enough, let me know and I can cut you some thinner gaskets to fit the connectors.