SCHWINN

R.I.P ..My friend Hugh, Biker and local at Kraken Bar.

He was larger then life and a handshake the size of a baseball glove with a grip. This accident happened about a 1/2 mile below my house.

On Jan. 26 at 7:07 p.m., firefighters from the Rancho Santa Fe Fire Protections District (RSFFPD) responded to the report of a motorcycle verses pedestrian accident on Del Dios Highway near Date Lane.

Upon arrival they discovered two individuals, one the motorcycle driver and the other a pedestrian that had been hit by the motorcycle, down an embankment on the east side of the highway. The pedestrian was confirmed to be deceased. The driver, despite receiving advance life support, was also pronounced dead at the scene.

The Sheriff’s Department helicopter assisted in searching for a potential third patient but none was found. The California Highway Patrol closed Del Dios Highway in both directions for three hours during the incident and investigation

Hugh and his great smile for eveyone.

Hugh1_zps44999998.jpg

Hugh2_zps84aae8b6.jpg

Hugh mostly hand built his chopper. Not Hugh on his chopper.

Hughbike_zps8e90364f.jpg

Sorry to hear this.

We were watching the news and heard about the motorcyclist killed hitting a one of a group of hikers crossing Del Dios at night. I think pedestrians forget they are so hard to see at night, Christie had a very close call in Ramona last week.

I found out Del Dios was closed on my way back Sunday, we watched the sheriff directing traffic at Via Rancho almost get run over. A pity two lives were tragically lost, my condolences to both families.

I found out Del Dios was closed on my way back Sunday, we watched the sheriff directing traffic at Via Rancho almost get run over. A pity two lives were tragically lost, my condolences to both families.

Del Dios is very dark at night.

A friend of mine hit a coyote about 1 mile away from this crash on his harley but didnt go down luckily.

The site is really close to my house. As I pulled up there was somebody already there. It was his neighbor and he found Hugh's helmet and hung it on the cross. We talked a while and walked the whole scene from the point of impact at Date Lane to somewhere around 300 feet southwest crossing over oncoming lanes and taking with him 1 of the legs to the sign here that has been replaced by a metal leg. It was a 4X4 post. I gathered up a bunch of parts and put them down next to the cross.

While there a young man approached and had tears in his eyes. We talked and he wasn't saying much at first until I asked...He was 1 of the 5 and Palomar College employees - hikers and watched the whole scene unfold. It took him this long to come back to the scene as the memory and the darkness of night was confusing him and what unfolded in front of him. He had to come back to help himself.

HughMemorial1_zpsec257239.jpg

This picture below shows southwest and to the left where he went down the bank.

HughMemorial_zpsf0d1ce6c.jpg

Wow!

So incredible sad. Best wishes to those close to him.

E

Working on all county roads, Del Dios is one of the most dangerous. I always take extra steps when my team is working there. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

Sad times. When the story first broke, I wondered why anybody would be crossing the highway in that area, especially at night.

Sad times. When the story first broke, I wondered why anybody would be crossing the highway in that area, especially at night.

The newly opened Del Dios Highlands County Preserve is located on the west side of Lake Hodges at 9860 Del Dios Highway (across from Date Lane).

People that are going to hiking later then dusk have to park across the street down Date Lane cuz they lock the gates on the trail side at dusk. The same goes for Mount Israel in Elfin Forest. Lots of Mtn Bikers and hikers are all going back and forth. Also Early morning before the gates open.

He hit the hiker while riding a brand new full dress Honda Goldwing and carried him about 400 feet and crossed into oncoming traffic and down the embankment where he hit the sign and where the memorial sight is.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/dir///@33.0836492,-117.1184724,17z/data=!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

Date Lane is up ahead about 400 ft...You can just see the sign over my windsheild up in the distance.

HughMemorial1_zpsec257239.jpg

Schwinn.....sorry to hear about losing your friend. Condolences to friends and family.

Schwinn, sorry to hear about this. My sincerest condolences go out to all his family and friends...