Goofy Footer

So Why Do You Own THAT Bike?

Tim - our conversations have always been thought provoking and hilarious at the same time. I applaud your optimism and enthusiasm. I still remember the look on your face when we looked at the DR....."whaddaya think, should I buy it?" "if you don't, I brought the cash to buy it myself"..... I think your eyebrows actually formed "WTF?" when I said that. Incredible deal and you've tossed the farkle factory at it so I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

" So, Why Do You Own That Bike?"

Goofy Footer,

Me thinks you are trying to answer the question posed everyday when you open the door to your garage.

dirol.gif

W650%20On%20Sale%203-03%200211000w-L.jpg

W650%20On%20Sale%203-03%200241000w-L.jpg

Man, I have always wanted one of those! That would be perfect for my commute!

8727228426_28f5081195_b.jpg

For me, bikes were forbidden fruit.

Both my (rather strict) parents had seen the result of horrible motorcycle crashes, and would not allow me to ride. Which of course meant I furtively rode my friends bikes- no gear, no helmet, etc, etc. But when I saw "On Any Sunday" at the College theater (before it was a tri-plex) I was not only hooked on riding, I was also hooked on photographing bikes and riding.

A few years later, I bought a ATC 110, which soon became the nastiest rat-bastard 165 (big carb, ported head, cam, stroker crank) around. I was killing the RD conversions right and left. College intervened, had to sell the tricycle and got distracted by self-employment and career.

Then I bought a XT250 starter bike. Good mix of dirt and street, and thought it would be a solid indicator to determine if I wanted to ride at all.

I did.

I was into BMW cars- worked at a dealership, had the affinity. So when I had the chance to buy a 1985 K100, I jumped, thus beginning my mainstreaming of riding. Rode all over, did many track schools, was one of those BMW guys Nick Ienach wrote about in his famous article "The Pace". Rented a bike in Europe and toured the Alps. Bought more bikes. Had an XR500 at my (then) BILS house in coastal Oregon for mud/dirt riding. Restomodded Blanche, a 1973 toaster-tanked R65 for the cool factor.

Loved sport-touring.

Marriage Redux ensued, and fatherhood and career overtook riding for a while. Sold everything bike-related, but told my wife I reserved the right to return to riding in the future.

Met the father of our son's classmate, who was just returning to riding, buying a bike, and said I should too. He was buying something called a KTM. Flurry of research followed, and I bought the best motorcycle ever made, the 2003 KTM 525. Then proceeded to fall down an awful lot. About this point, I stumbled onto SDAR, which is like living at a crackhouse- plenty of drugs, all the time.

Then guess what happened one day? That's right, I broke down.

Up on Santiago peak while riding with a large group that included DigDug. Dug helped me down the mountain- me coasting 80% of the way, then a little towing, then more coasting. When we got to the bottom of the hill, Dug gave me a ride on the back of his 950 to the trucks, including a trip down the 15.

blink.gif

That was like being on the sport-touring bike again- and I LOVED it. I held Dug tightly while my my body was flooded by excitement, an old yearning pulling at me…unsure.gif

That day, I knew I'd have to have one of those. It took years- closing The Big Studio, re-jiggering career and home life.

But there it is.

9089865786_8af1910c2b_b.jpg

Both my (rather strict) parents had seen the result of horrible motorcycle crashes, and would not allow me to ride. Which of course meant I furtively rode my friends bikes- no gear, no helmet, etc, etc. But when I saw "On Any Sunday" at the College theater (before it was a tri-plex) I was not only hooked on riding, I was also hooked on photographing bikes and riding.

A few years later, I bought a ATC 110, which soon became the nastiest rat-bastard 165 (big carb, ported head, cam, stroker crank) around. I was killing the RD conversions right and left. College intervened, had to sell the tricycle and got distracted by self-employment and career.

Then I bought a XT250 starter bike. Good mix of dirt and street, and thought it would be a solid indicator to determine if I wanted to ride at all.

I did.

I was into BMW cars- worked at a dealership, had the affinity. So when I had the chance to buy a 1985 K100, I jumped, thus beginning my mainstreaming of riding. Rode all over, did many track schools, was one of those BMW guys Nick Ienach wrote about in his famous article "The Pace". Rented a bike in Europe and toured the Alps. Bought more bikes. Had an XR500 at my (then) BILS house in coastal Oregon for mud/dirt riding. Restomodded Blanche, a 1973 toaster-tanked R65 for the cool factor.

Loved sport-touring.

Marriage Redux ensued, and fatherhood and career overtook riding for a while. Sold everything bike-related, but told my wife I reserved the right to return to riding in the future.

Met the father of our son's classmate, who was just returning to riding, buying a bike, and said I should too. He was buying something called a KTM. Flurry of research followed, and I bought the best motorcycle ever made, the 2003 KTM 525. Then proceeded to fall down an awful lot. About this point, I stumbled onto SDAR, which is like living at a crackhouse- plenty of drugs, all the time.

Up on Santiago peak while riding with a large group that included DigDug. Dug helped me down the mountain- me coasting 80% of the way, then a little towing, then more coasting. When we got to the bottom of the hill, Dug gave me a ride on the back of his 950 to the trucks, including a trip down the 15.

blink.gif

That was like being on the sport-touring bike again- and I LOVED it. I held Dug tightly while my my body was flooded by excitement, an old yearning pulling at me…unsure.gif

That day, I knew I'd have to have one of those. It took years- closing The Big Studio, re-jiggering career and home life.

But there it is.

I had no idea you were an early BMW guy. You probably saw a lot of the cars I've restored when they were new!

The Pace is something I talk about with my brothers in law all the time. It was definitely an article that defined my adult riding style. How awesome that you were a part of it.

I own 3 bikes..

I have been a jap bike guy my whole life, prefer the reliability and parts availability over the exotic stuff. I am however contemplating going Orange shortly... Hmmm.

2011 Hayabusa: I am 6'4" and it was the most comfy bike i could find to ride for any length of time. Have since lost interest in street riding and this will be up for sale soon!

2006 YZ450F Desert Bike: Simple, bombproof motor, gobs of power, starts first kick every time.

2006 YZ450F Supermoto Race Bike: Same reason, bombproof motor with tons of low end grunt, starts first kick every time, spare parts for days on ebay!

I LOVE My (2) YZ450's but looking to race some D38 stuff, and some more big bear trips.

Been reading up on what might be my best option for months, and the new KTM EXC500 seems to be the right choice. Never owned orange before, but after a few gnarly crashes carthweeling down the track, my knee isnt what it used to be and i want the magic button! Oh.. and the plate too! :)

I did.

Loved sport-touring.

blink.gif

But there it is.

What he said except the break was from 1978 to 2007, I've now had 10 bikes in search of the perfect bike and after the last 7 years all I can say is, I haven't found it yet. But damned if I'm not still looking, maybe it's all about the hunt. I'm also fond of saying that they invented Baja for 525.

To keep it short....I own the bikes I have because they are all the coolest, most awesomest, bestest, fastest, best handling, best looking bikes ever made in the entire universe.

Joking aside....I must say the KTM950 is pretty damn close to being the perfect motorcycle.......unless all you do is ride gnarly stuff....and it even works pretty good at that, excluding gnarly single track trails.

To sufficiently answer the question I'd break it up between 2 & 4 strokes

For 4 strokes I started with an 75 or 76 Honda XL250, then a 82 Yamaha XT350, then a 86 Yamaha TT600. I then took a family break and bought a Honda XR600, the year escapes me but I believe it was a 93. I rode that bike for many years. I then bought a 2001 Suzuki DRZ400, kick-start, un-plated and plated it early 2003.

Each bike I owned had trade-offs and I was very happy with the DRZ until I bought a KTM. Wow, I did not know what I was missing. My first KTM was the EXC530, 2008 year. Yes I replaced the water pump seals, bearings and oil seals. And I honestly I am still pissed and believe KTM released the bike to early as the problems were systematic on most 2008/2009 model years. If the bike wasn't so good (when the problems are corrected), they would have lost market share and seriously damaged their branding.

But I can tell you hands down the KTM is the most amazing bike I ever owned. When I first purchased it I would purposely take the hardest route over trails, the bike was that good. Difficult sections in Big Bear, Corral Canyon or others were that much easier(and coupled with a low pressure trials tire). The quality of the suspension, power delivery, controls, frame geometry and other intangibles make the KTM the standard to beat. I'm an average rider, take average risks, but the KTM has made me a better rider and inspired confidence in myself.

I realize it's not a valid comparison comparing a late model bike to a 70 or 80's bike. But I believe the EXC was a disruptive model as it truly provided high-end dirt bike performance that is a 50 state legal rode machine.

For the 2 strokes, over the years, I've had my share, CR125(Honda), CR250(Honda), WR250(Husqvarna enduro), XC430(Husqvarna MX), YZ250(Yamaha) & a IT175(Yamaha). I enjoyed them all(except the CR125). The best bike was the WR250. It was used for northeast woods riding. It was comfortable, reliable and was the last model year truly made by the Swedes. None of the 2-strokes stood out as the best, maybe they were all beyond my capabilities.