paulmbowers

Noobish ride Sunday, December 22nd 2013

I'm out, did a little pre run with downs today up and over Otay and through Marron Valley to Barrett junction for some fried fish lunch before splitting up. Foot is hurting a bit so I'm going to give it a rest.

Have fun!

I thought the SUNDAY RIDE was going to be your break in ride! OK we'll make it without u

I'm out, did a little pre run with downs today up and over Otay and through Marron Valley to Barrett junction for some fried fish lunch before splitting up. Foot is hurting a bit so I'm going to give it a rest.

Have fun!

I thought the SUNDAY RIDE was going to be your break in ride! OK we'll make it without u

We may or may not have had a collective brain fart and though the ride was going today (Saturday). I'll still be there in the morning. I had my little Alite chair out and was waiting for everyone to show up haha.

32 degrees, not sure if the Orange Elephant will start up

:ph34r:

I am not riding with this group again. I was already uncomfortable, was getting further behind the group, then being splashed with rocks from a dirt bike (from AZ) barely half a mile down the road told me I wasn't welcome anyway. Despite that bs, I still found a way to the top of Otay Mtn and had fun. I didn't come there to ride with a bunch of dirt bikes. Hearing talk of "wood planks" and having to cross a concrete ditch isn't something I'd expect from a supposedly "noob" ride either.

had a great ride today, thanks for putting this together. Great conditions

I was already uncomfortable

I'm glad you gave it a try, and encourage you to continue to ride safely and have fun!

1387738575[/url]' post='163984']

I am not riding with this group again. I was already uncomfortable, was getting further behind the group, then being splashed with rocks from a dirt bike (from AZ) barely half a mile down the road told me I wasn't welcome anyway. Despite that bs, I still found a way to the top of Otay Mtn and had fun. I didn't come there to ride with a bunch of dirt bikes. Hearing talk of "wood planks" and having to cross a concrete ditch isn't something I'd expect from a supposedly "noob" ride either.

Sorry this didn't work out for you but you really were welcome, I can assure you the guys had the best intentions. If you had let the ride leader know in advance of your uneasness at the start he may have been able to have one of the more experienced riders give you some extra help.

These rides are not designed to teach you to ride, for that I would seriously consider a day with Gary at Motoventures.

I apologize to the rider who Forcefully demanded I pass. I was fine behind you, since you were so demanding I went around. Did not intend to throw rocks at you. Again I apologize.

When riding a motorcycle you should be more concerned on what is in front of you than who is behind you and ride your own ride. This was a well structured New rider ride with no wood planks. People joke a lot. I encourage you to keep riding and consider taking a off road motorcycle course like the MSF Dirtbike School This will help boost your confidence level.

Best intentions? This WAS NOT A "NOOB" RIDE at all. I'm glad I left the group as I had far more fun. There was no obvious "ride leader", no introductions, no real "talk" before the ride other than it would be "boring" for most. I was never expecting to be taught.

Unfortunate perception. I walked around and introduced myself to folks as I didn't figure we'd go through all 23 riders by name before the ride. Most did the same. PMB gave a short rider safety brief and used "boring" probably to reinforce the "ride your ride" philosophy.

Sorry it wasn't what you expected but feel free to post up a ride you want to lead and some of us will join ya.

Great day all and OUTSTANDING job by the Stroms, GS's and 1200 Tiger especially. Got 'em dirty and no crashes. The confidence Phil and Todd had through the water crossing was impressive. Nicely done.

I apologize to the rider who Forcefully demanded I pass. I was fine behind you, since you were so demanding I went around. Did not intend to throw rocks at you. Again I apologize.

When riding a motorcycle you should be more concerned on what is in front of you than who is behind you and ride your own ride. This was a well structured New rider ride with no wood planks. People joke a lot. I encourage you to keep riding and consider taking a off road motorcycle course like the MSF Dirtbike School This will help boost your confidence level.

Forcefully? I waved you by. You obviously wanted to go faster than I did otherwise you wouldn't have been so close. I was not going to be pushed to go faster. You blasted by me and shot lots of rocks in my face. You tell me that I need to learn how to ride, perhaps you need to learn throttle control around other riders. So much for "ride at your own pace". I sure as hell wasn't going on a dirt bike ride nor ever wish to.

I sure as hell wasn't going on a dirt bike ride nor ever wish to.

Hi again, Michael!

I admire your decision to leave the ride (notifying the sweep rider in the process) when you felt the ride was not appropriate for you. That's wise decision-making and keeps riders safe.

I'm also glad you continued on with your own ride and had an enjoyable morning. Sounds like it worked out for everyone involved.

I understand and appreciate your input on your experience- thank you for letting us know.

Take good care, ride safe!

No, getting blasted with rocks by some jerk on a dirt bike was enough for me. Being told that I was "forcefully" asking someone to pass, when I was "riding my own ride" and not wanting to be pushed tells me plenty of how unwelcome I was.

I apologize to the rider Did not intend to throw rocks at you. Again I apologize.

Thanks again Michael, for sharing your experience of the Noob ride today. Appears you made the correct decision to leave, and went on to have a good solo ride.

Worked for everybody.

I rode sweep a bit today. It's a function. I could tell some riders where faster than others but just because the faster rider was behind the other, it is only the rider in front who can feel pushed. It's a perception, not a reality. This group truly is "ride your ride", especially today.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

guys made it home safe and had an amazing time. thanks to the organizers and sweep riders.

please post those movie clips!

guys made it home safe and had an amazing time. thanks to the organizers and sweep riders.

please post those movie clips!

Oh yeah..."Bob" made it home safely as well; thanks for finding me Paul

Got back to the barrakcs around noon. But have sketchy internet here so just now gettinb to post.

Ive got some pics vids and screen captures im working on.

I just read through the whole thread; first of all, a huge thanks to the guys who laid out this ride, posted about it, organized sweeps, and most importantly, gave the guy on the 500lb black Vstrom with a temporarily bum ankle (me) positive reinforcement and a little help when he needed it!

All that together is a lot of work and I just wanted to let you guys know that it is appreciated. After today, I feel more comfortable on the dirt, saw an area of SD that I have never seen before, got a great mental break from my insane work schedule and met some great people who volunteered their own time to set it up. Pretty awesome deal if you ask me.

Second, sdmichael: Dude, no one is out to get you here. This was my second outing with the group. I did a noob ride a year ago and was terrible on the dirt. Between then and now I took four motoventures classes on my own accord that really helped me. Then I did this ride and had a lot more fun. These noob rides are just rides, not instruction, a chance to use skills you've previously practiced. At least that's how I look at it.

For me, personally, my envelope was pushed just the right amount by this ride. The water crossing was a good time. I had no shame in caterpillaring my bike across, wet boots and all! A couple hills were quite steep for me, but the sweep helped me out and I realized later I needed...,well hell I needed to do a LOT of stuff better next time, but at least I know now!

Thanks again for putting this ride on guys. I honestly really appreciate it.