TrophyHunter

Zero on a ZERO

A coworker has been commuting on his new ZERO and offered a test ride over lunch so I took it. With electric motors having their torque right off the bottom, the bike will ACCELERATE. I rolled on it slowly cuz if you don't, the front end is coming up & I'm no Schwinn.

It was hard to have almost no audible input to correlate with the movement but it was just smooth and fast. Anyway, short and fun ride.

Electric bikes are way cool. Saw Preston Petty race in Ventura on his Zero and win ! Very impressive watching him pull away from 750cc+ bikes on the straights and at almost 80yrs old ! WOW ! I think watching electric vehicles race would be a bit of a let down without all the combustion noise...... But I do like quiet. Would love to have a electric off road bike that could take me 100+ miles in a day.

My link

They are a little strange in the dirt. I rode one about three years ago. I want the batteries to be able to last a lot longer than they do, although I hear that they are better now than when I tried one of the bikes.

electricbike.jpg

Therein lies the problem. I'd be pretty upset if I shelled out 10K or more for a bike this year only to learn that next year's model improved battery efficiency by a factor of X.

I want the batteries to be able to last a lot longer than they do, although I hear that they are better now than when I tried one of the bikes.

Similar upgrades have been happening with conventional vehicles for years.

2011's ebike was good for about 60 miles of city/hwy riding. 2012's was good for about 80. Those numbers are pretty close to actual for Brammo empulse. I'm not sure there is a conventional comparison to that kind of jump.

The Brammo guy tells us that it's now possible to ride from San Diego to Seattle with public charging stations available off the 5. He DIDN'T say how long it would take.

Similar upgrades have been happening with conventional vehicles for years.

A tiny hydrogen generator or a fusion power unit would work nicley to keep the battery powered up for long rides.

Electric bikes could possibly be more dangerous as it would be difficult to hear one passing or coming towards us on the trails. "Loud pipes save lives"...... On the other hand being super quiet would allow us to see more critters. I love my infernal combustion bikes, nothing like the sound of a working engine and the wonderful smell of 2 stroke castor. I think it would still be very cool to have an electric bike in the woods.

If I'm riding in a manner that requires other motorists to hear me in order for me to be safe, I'm doing something wrong.

I'll grant you, it'd be safer to have red lights and a siren on my bikes- hey, why not all bikes? for safety's sake.

Sure would be cool for a backyard MX track and not bother the neighbors. Heck put up lights and run night races after work....

I always liked the small electric trials bikes for the "backyard" reason. I can't see myself plunkin' down the $$$ for electric due to limitations but it was a blast to ride. Of course, I was in "Sport" mode party.gif

If I'm riding in a manner that requires other motorists to hear me in order for me to be safe, I'm doing something wrong.

I'll grant you, it'd be safer to have red lights and a siren on my bikes- hey, why not all bikes? for safety's sake.

They are working on regulations to require electric automobiles to make some sort of noise. Being silent is a hazard to pedestrians.

They are working on regulations to require electric automobiles to make some sort of noise. Being silent is a hazard to pedestrians.

Sorry, but I think that's just silly.

While having input from all of your senses is a benefit, there is part of the population that doesn't have them and do well. I've seen more people so focused on their phones that their eyes are not in the equation any more. I imagine some auditory exclusion is taking place, too, with the brain focused on electronic media.

"Distracted walking?" laugh.gif

Riding the ZERO was odd and the "I hope they see me" was higher on the scale while doing so, but bicyclists have this all the time. Sound makers for them? Maybe some playing cards and clothes pins could be issued with each bike sale.

San Diego BMW let me test ride a Zero a while back. I told them I wasn't buying one but they insisted. I rode down and saw the girlfriend at the time at work and showed it to her. It was unique. I did like having a clutch lever even if it was mostly useless. Put it in one gear and go they told me lol.

It was quick too. Different experience for sure. I just can't justify the expense of something that has such a short range though. :torch: