Wintyfresh

My terrible experience with Escondido Cycle Center

About a month ago I dropped two DRZ400s off at ECC for some work. Both bikes needed the valves checked, my bike's front brake had been spongey since I'd accidentally introduced air into the system and my wife's rear brake wouldn't hold pressure. When I arrived I described the issues and they recommended doing a complete "dealer" service on both, I figured I might as well let them change the plug and the oil while they were working on the bike and agreed.

Half a week after dropping the bikes off, I receive a call from them. Because of my aftermarket skidplate they wanted an extra $120 for the service. Initially I agreed, but after a couple of minutes thinking about it I called them back and asked why they needed to remove the skidplate to check the valves. After a bit of back and forth with service department they said it would be an additional $90 to remove the skidplate for the oil change. I laughed and told them to just take the oil change off of the service since I was perfectly capable of doing it myself without removing the skidplate, they then agreed to do it for the initial price.

When I went to pick up both bikes, the total amount was higher than what I'd been quoted. I noticed a charge on my wife's bike for charging a dead battery, despite explaining when I'd dropped off the bike that I had a replacement ready to go at home. They said that wasn't included in the total, but when we had the receipt re-printed it dropped by that amount. Mostly I was just happy to have the bikes back and ready for desert season.

Cut to today, the first chance I've had to ride the bikes since they were serviced. My bike's front brake is far worse than it was before. I know the DRZ400S doesn't have the greatest brakes, but I literally could not get the front wheel to lock up. I popped the top off the master cylinder and the brake fluid still has a decidedly blue tint (I used ATE super blue when I last attempted to bleed it). Then I hopped on my wife's DRZ and depressed the rear brake... and nothing happened. Zero resistance, there's obviously still a leak in the system.

I realize I should've verified the work immediately after picking up the bikes but was mid-move and travelling for work, which was the reason I was having someone else do the work in the first place. I'm out ~$850 (to be fair I did get valves adjusted, new spark plugs, and oil changes) and still need to fix the brake issues before we can go riding. I can't write off ECC as a whole, but after this first experience with their service department there won't be another.

Thanks! For now I'm just gonna do the work myself; I'll know what if anything was half-assed and can pay myself in beer.

The incompetence I understand, because so many service departments are like that. But to try and charge you money to charge your battery...now that's laughable. That in and of itself would irk me enough to go elsewhere.

It really is messed up when you take some thing to get it fixed and pay good money for B.S. work.

No wants to hear the lip service you get when ask what the heck just happened.

I feel your PAIN........

damn, i would be happy to do that kind of work for about 1/4 of what you paid.

Its been discussed before with my friends and we all get the willies when we go to Ecc. Something about that place--its the tattoos or something ?

That's what I was thinking, I'm rebuilding a KTM engine for about that probably!

That's what I was thinking, I'm rebuilding a KTM engine for about that probably!

I sure hope you're charging more than that!

Speaking of which...I need to get a ttr50 running... :blush:

Speaking of which...I need to get a ttr50 running... :blush:/>

I'll be available in January.

Speaking of which...I need to get a ttr50 running... :blush:/>/>

I'll be available in January.

2015?