Goofy Footer

A Case for Slime?

After doing some bushwhacking and catcus crushing on the Pequena Bufadora a few weeks back I began noticing a slight leak in my front tire. I pulled the tube out and found this tiny pinhole size leak...

Would Slime or similar product have possibly prevented this?

Considering both Kato and I (eventually) got a flat from the sharp terrain - I'd say a tube sealant of some sort might be a good call to help prevent such leaks while riding down there in the future.

btw this is a Kenda Tuff Tube

post-14322-033573200 1377836697_thumb.jp

I ran slime in Texas mountain biking...usually did a good job plugging holes, but not foolproof.... and a gooey mess when it doesn't work

I've since elected to just change tubes faster...Texas "goatheads" are some of the nastiest (as opposed to nantista) thorns known to man...the popped a truck tire

In Mexico; I've found lots of nails, screws, bolts etc are the worst culprits, and slime won't help

Would Slime or similar product have possibly prevented this?

Possibly. I've had mixed results with it, but that means that it has worked some of the time. If I have a tire that is going low in a day or so I will try it out just because I'm lazy.

I have found that slime works well. I use to try the tire sealant in a can stuff and it never worked. I use the tubliss system with slime in every thing.

I've used the tubeless tire slime in my quad tires and it dealt quite nicely with burnt out manzanita stump punctures. I also used the pre-slimed tubes in my bicycles without issue, but that's just my experience. Haven't had a need to try it on the bike yet. Will say though that cleaning the rim during the tire changing on the quad was quite the mess.

I ran slime in Texas mountain biking...usually did a good job plugging holes, but not foolproof.... and a gooey mess when it doesn't work

I've since elected to just change tubes faster...Texas "goatheads" are some of the nastiest (as opposed to nantista) thorns known to man...the popped a truck tire

In Mexico; I've found lots of nails, screws, bolts etc are the worst culprits, and slime won't help

That's Nanny Goat to you!! and yes for cactus spines slime or ride on will work. Michelin HD airstop tubes are also effective for those tiny stabs. big holes-- slime just makes a big mess. Using good heavy carcass "baja/rally" tires help too.

I have never tried Slime as a preventative measure, but have run it many times after the fact. If I get a flat, in it goes, and it stays until the tire wears out, at which time the bike gets a new tire and tube. For all I know, it may be preventing flats till then. Admittedly, a large percentage of my riding takes place at lower speeds and off the pavement. :unsure:

If you would have had Slime in your tube, you would have never known you got that puncture.