daijones

Sport bike question?

I do a reasonable amount driving freeway miles around socal, out to McCain/Corral Canyon riding, up and down to Orange county and LA, maybe 30K per year and have a question about sport bike riding. I don't ride on the street after a lucky escape many years ago and then trying a sport bike of a friend and knowing I can't be trusted, happy to keep my 2 wheel fun off road.

In my driving maybe 1 to 3% (guess) of vehicles are bikes, out of that more Harley's/choppers then most others, some DS, odd SM, quite a few cruisers and quite a few sport bikes. Now out of the sport bike riders pretty much 50% ride sitting up with their left hand on their left hip/thigh, why is that, are these bikes so uncomfortable you can't ride with both hands on the bars, do they think they are cool doing this showing they don't need 2 hands to control the bike, to me it always looks negligent that they can't react to a sudden event / obstacle that appears on the road?

Just curious for you sport bike riders.

Probably bored cause they can't use the 200+ HP without losing a weeks pay. Bad habit but I find myself doing it.

When the clip-ons are as low as they are on most of the true sport bikes, they have to hunch over to get BOTH hands on both grips

It is the equivalent of sliding of the seat to get a foot down at a stop

If you look, they are probably a little twisted to the throttle side

Really- my REAL sport bikes (CBR1000 and FZR1000) were torture racks for me at 6' 1"...if I wasn't accelerating, slamming on the brakes or turning, they were very uncomfortable

My VTR and ZX-11were sport tourers and I rarely had to worry about it-

That's my take

I used to ride sport bikes a lot. They are uncomfortable to sit on for long periods of time. Not too bad for yougsters, but the older you get, the worse they feel. Also, they often transmit a lot of buzz and vibration through the bars. You can do things to them, like add bar weights for reduced vibration, and probably risers or different bars to sit in a more upright, conventional manner.

Nothing wrong with trying to look "Too Cool for You" we all do it from time to time. I usually just pick my nose so

people know that I just don't care ( it's really hard with gloves on).

CiD

Nothing wrong with trying to look "Too Cool for You" we all do it from time to time. I usually just pick my nose so

CiD

Is that why you ride up behind me and grab my arms?? Are you wiping buggers on me you SOB

CiD

Is that why you ride up behind me and grab my arms?? Are you wiping buggers on me you SOB

My secrets out.

CiD

they just came from the bar.

had 1 too many captain and cokes.

Out of shape sport riders will roll with one hand, looking back constantly is super cool?

Proper form is loose grip on hands squeeze bike with legs support with abs and connect.

One with the bike regardless of bike choice.

I ride with one hand on my DRZ quite often. It's a bad habit, but I'm always aware of when I do it, generally on an empty, straight road where I quickly tire of the buzz through the bars. If I'm on an unfamiliar road, have low visibility, see a car/driveway, etc., I'll put my hand back on the bars.

All my riding is on secondary roads <60MPH, so it's not quite the same as a sport bike.

It’s like putting your feet up front if you got freeway pegs or back on your passenger’s pegs or standing up from time to time. Simply put a Sport bike is built to be ridden in a low uncomfortable stance on a very thin uncomfortable seat. Add true clip-ons and rear sets and it’s a nice break to sit upright and brace your hand on your hip. Also much easier to turn around and see what’s directly behind you..(Like 5 O)

Since throttle is on your right, if you one or two finger your brake lever always it’s not too hard to slow or turn/lean to avoid an incident.

Plus you can 5 more HP in cool points. Sport bikes rule! Until you hit dirt…

Thanks for the replies, so basically they are that uncomfortable and it's deemed cool, live and learn :)