SICVIC

Drugs are bad...

Sup everybody.

Todays blast is gonna be a catch all.

DISCLAIMER *Any of this crap I write is only based off what I run for the way I ride. None of it may even be close to working the same for you*

Review, reports, tech, likes, hates, referrals, questions and answers. This thing will look like my riding; no flow and all over the place.

So, I had this idea....

First I wanted "more' light to see with for night riding. I also had several maint issues that were starting to surface and lastly, wanted to tighten some stuff up and better my knowledge of the carb.

The light.

I upgraded to the BD Squadron LED system. It's the bomb and gets the job done two fold. As with any steering mounted bike light, the direction of turn is where you see. Turn right, see to the right. Simple. Now throw in a sweet 35 mph dirt sweeping turn and add a bunch of countersteer to get that good slide going and whatta ya have???? Your light shining off into the trees while you're attempting de-clinch the starfish from the seat cause you cant see a thing in the direction you need to go. I know..... one could always slow down. See disclaimer above... So I says "I needs another light" One on my head.

Secondary lights:

Helmet mount(top/jaw), bike mount, flashlight, tiki torches. A million ideas out there. 2 million maybe..

What I wanted:

Light where I was looking

Max coverage (front fender dead space to outter space)

LED I like the color. Don't know how to describe it but the white works well.....

Powered off the bike. No batteries/recharge

Mobility easy on easy off

Durable This for me ment something that would rip off or at least had a chance to do so.

After making the list my options were zero... So I made one.

This is a BD thowback light that uses the S11 technology but did not use the ATV housing. 2 LED, wired for 12v modified with a bicycle helmet mounting system that was designed for one of there other lights. What the F??? I went there, got a bunch of stuff and wired this thing up. (short version)

The breakdown. I'm hard wired (15a fused). Plug in up at the bars, also runs air compressor. Gps on seperate system. I used coax connectors for ease of breakaway.

post-14596-082826700 1370625205_thumb.jp

Light mount to helmet.

I wanted to use the 3M dual lock for mounting. Comes off but stays on. I needed to beef up the light mount first and make a better/larger adhesion surface for the tape to work properly. I bought some Lexon and cut it to sandwich the mounting bracket, heated and molded it to contour the shape of the helmet then riveted it all together. Stuck on the Dual lock and done. (took way longer than I just made it sound)

post-14596-060042600 1370625744_thumb.jp

Sorting out the rest...

I wanted things contained into areas.

Helmet has light, harness and switch. Riding vest has harness woven into it to bring power from the bike to the light.

So what we have is a breakaway connection at the front by the bars. (main connect) and a disconnect at the helmet near the power switch.

For this connect I didn't want it pulling out all the time yet I did want it to break away if it had to. So I tweakered and made this. Works hella easy and does the job. Helmet on, plug in, clip o-ring, done.

post-14596-062239900 1370626357_thumb.jp

Self contained unit

post-14596-043188500 1370626474_thumb.jp

I can go constant run on all systems (both lights and gps, turn signals) and the stator keeps the battery charged. Gotta be moving for this to happen though. Sitting there at idle for 3 hours would kill it. Stator is floated, reg/rec upgraded, all bulbs LED.

Night ride actual. Corral CmpGrnd. Building is about 60-70 yrds, maybe more. (I'm near that old hand pump water well) Bike and helmet light both on, sorta in the same direction.

post-14596-050684500 1370626983_thumb.jp

Downside....every moth on the planet is your new best friend

post-14596-015825800 1370627230_thumb.jp

I've got lots more stuff to chime about but this is already getting long.

He's the deal.

BAJA DESIGNS

I've had great luck with their product. They helped me out when I showed up asking stupid questions.

Support them if lights are in your future.

WWW.POWERLET.COM

Davin Wirtanen

This guy went above and beyond to help my idea move along. Baja had the light but I had to sort the connections. Davin listened to my ideas and got back with what options would work for what I wanted. I'm talking system load, fuses, connections switches. Some of the stuff he thought that would work best was not in the computer so he took time to go down to shipping and make sure it all got sorted before being sent. He rides, works on his own stuff and takes care of the customer. You got electrical, you want something made. He's your man. In Michigan but got here super quick.

We will save the Bike Maint/carb stories for another time. Good info that I gotta get out but my finger is getting a blister from typing with it.

"I'm gonna pop some tags"

Very cool - I like the Clampetts break away! Is the a picture hanging hook? I need this for my cheapo helmet com set that uses a barrel screw connector.

Vic, I'm actually in the middle of a very similar project. I should swing by your place soon to check out your setup.

In the meantime... "declinch your starfish" might be the most graphic/to the point reference I've ever read on sdar haha

Very cool - I like the Clampetts break away! Is the a picture hanging hook? I need this for my cheapo helmet com set that uses a barrel screw connector.

Why yes, yes it is a hanger hook. Multi pack from Harbor Freight. Custom drilled then wet sanded to remove any sharp edges that may damage the 40 cent o-ring.

I may anodize it orange later on....

Drugs help save lives.

Cool setup, and a DIYs at that. Yes its great to have the light pointed where youre looking for sure.

Here is the setup I've been using since 05. Fifth gear Glamis night tested for years. It's Night Riders 50W HID and 3 LED combo. The 50 last two to three hours with a full recharge and the LEDs can last overnight when I try to drain the battery. Comes with a power extension so the pack goes in my Camel back. The LED's come in handy when stopped and wanting a very powerful hookup. The chin strap allows for quick mount and dismount. And you can put it on your Cyclocross bike as well.

This is a much better version than the NightSun pkg that I ran for years before this setup.

I tried mounting on my visor for a top angle but found my eyes like the chin in front of my eyes angle much better.

post-15232-075425900 1370640842_thumb.jp

post-15232-052210400 1370640869_thumb.jp

This will get you down the road quickly and very efficent. But the cost for new is high. Like I posted a few weeks back my 50W bulb is gonna cost about $100.

You can also strap this to your thigh for a knee dragging hooligan Palomar night ride. Which you gotta do once in your life.

Anyways, great little project. Thanks for sharing. Is it 4:20 yet?

[quote name='Slaugo' timestamp='1370640982' post='15

Is it 4:20 yet?

Pulling weeds.

[quote name='Slaugo' timestamp='1370640982' post='15

Is it 4:20 yet?

Pulling weeds.

Well if it saves lives, then yes:D/>

Vic is this the Double Strykr headlamp you're using? Do you by chance know what year it's from?