Goofy Footer

Fun 1-2 Day Street Rides from SD?

Road Trip!

I'd love to hear from you guys as to what you think are some of the best, most fun and scenic 1-2 day street rides from San Diego.

I just learned that you can rent Harleys (yes a Harley Freaking Davidson) from SD Harley for ~ $95 a day (24 hours) with unlimited mileage. I have the itch to do some exploring and being that it's nearly summer, I'd like to plan a quick trip and hit the open road. I'd rather ride than drive!

Turn and burn is fine with me, I'm just looking to see something new or ride some interesting slab. I've thought about a turn and burn fish taco lunch at Cayucos just north of Morro Bay along PCH, I've thought about an overnight to Monument Valley, I've thought about an Iron Butt to Mammoth area and back but what else do you have? I'm looking to get out of Southern California but for the sake of this thread, post whatever routes you want - I'd love to hear em!

Also, if you know of any other places to rent street oriented bikes that would be great to share as well. I don't need GoldWing, just something to blast slab. I once rode bboyle9's stock DR650 to Denver but it got stolen and I don't particularly want to re-gear & re-tire my DRZ.

Cayucos

indexcay_morro-sm.jpg

Monument Valley

700px-Monumentvalley.jpg

Bridgeport

filename-marina-jpg-thumbnail0.jpg

Mesa Verde National Park

cp_556.jpg

Sequoia National Forest

2091260-Driving_through_a_tree_in_Sequoia_National_Park_Sequoia_National_Park.jpg

Irvine Cove, Laguna Beach

irvine-cove-laguna-beach_720.jpg

San Ignacio (Baja California) - can't really take a rental south of the border but I figured I would throw it in there..

img_mission.jpg

Thanks in advance

Lots of good "G" roads south and a bit inland from Monterrey and also just a bit north of Laguna Seca. I'll send details if desired.

I'll be lurking as I have warrantied miles to burn up and would like to get out too.

Best roads in California are Cerro Noroeste, Indian Valley/ Peachtree and Highway 58.

One weekend, I'm going to ride up and down those roads for two days.

8135668237_a2a2b07aa3_z.jpg

8135695282_03d080cd2d_c.jpg

One could make a case for Nacimiento-Ferguson I suppose. Oh and Ebbets Pass.

Murphy's Hwy 4 to 385 via Hwy 89

Doesn't anyone rent BMWs?

a coast trip to include Nacimiento-Fergusson, 101, etc would be a great weekend trip

I know you're not technically posting up a ride, but if you DO go, i'd like to join. The KLR has a top trunk and panniers

Add me. If you get crazy and get anywhere Occidental I know those roads like the back of eyelids.

One could make a case for Nacimiento-Ferguson I suppose. Oh and Ebbets Pass.

+ 1 on Naciminto. Did that in a cage last year... can't wait to do it two up!

Lots of good "G" roads south and a bit inland from Monterrey and also just a bit north of Laguna Seca. I'll send details if desired.

Whacha talkin bout???

I still have my Yamaha street bike, I know you can ride it. Always available to borrow if you'd like and you know the rental price will be much less.

Whacha talkin bout???

From Wikipedia -- "There are 21 routes assigned to the "G" zone of the California Route Marker Program, which designates county routes in California. The "G" zone includes county highways in Monterey, San Benito, San Luis Obispo, Santa Clara, and Santa Cruz counties."

These roads are like our local S-roads; S-2, S-22, etc ... I can send descriptions if interested. I rode these roads and wrote an article about them for Motorcycle Performance magazine back in July '99.

G14...oh, G14....one of my all-time favorites.

G16, too.

G14...oh, G14....one of my all-time favorites.

G16, too.

A peek at G-14: "Known locally by other names, G-14 runs north-northwest from Paso Robles to King City and in its northern reaches, passes through Fort Hunter Liggett, a 165,000 acre Army Reserve Training Base. Riding from the south, G-14 leaves the drone of Hwy 101 and immediately snuggles with the hillsides as it carves a narrow path toward Lake Nacimiento. The road’s characteristic tight patches are linked by a series of high speed spurts that swoop down from the hillside to the narrow valleys below all the while presenting a landscape devoid of traffic and other signs of human life. Staying left at the junction with G-19 brings you past another body of water, Lake San Antonio, as you rocket your way north toward the barn-at-the-crossroads town of Lockwood. From here, G-14 passes through Fort Hunter Liggett before joining Hwy 101 again in King City."

G-16: "To get on this road from Hwy 101 in Greenwood, take Elm Street toward the west. After almost 6 miles of straight road to its junction with a different G-road, G-16 (under the name Arroyo Seco Road) begins to entertain as it follows most of the entire watershed’s little creeks as they tumble downhill to the sea. It’s along these creeks that G-16 shows off its unique character. Bobbing and weaving its way through canyons, over hillsides and past secluded barns, G-16 is a mixture of narrow gauge sweepers, twisty bits and short straight-aways that will keep you engaged for better than 45 minutes before your arrival in Carmel. Take care, though, to turn right at the junction of Carmel Valley Road and Arroyo Seco Road about 14 miles west of Hwy 101. If you miss it you’ll inadvertently divert your trip far south to the northern outback of Fort Hunter Liggett."

Did a version of this in a car last year.cool loop Nacimiento Road is unreal don't forget to venture off down some dirt roads at the top!

I personally am only at the 350-400 mile per day stage. Working on increasing my mileage abilities. I'm riding a 1000RR though, I'm sure a cruiser changes the equation.

Something like Monument Valley would be downright epic. 700 miles from SD though, that's more like a 4-day round trip for me, because I would want to spend at least one day exploring that area, not just show up then turn around.

Here's day 1 of the ride my buddy and I are doing next Tuesday and Wednesday:

Google Maps Route

For this first day I wanted to create the challenge for myself of getting to the North side of LA from SD without touching a freeway, spending the maximum amount of time away from civilization, and spending the maximum time on twisty roads. Rides like this can make you feel a thousand miles from home even though you're still within AAA Premier towing distance ;)/>/>

This is a two-dayer for me because it's one day up, one day returning. I think anything more than 400 miles away from home has to be over a 2-day trip for me, at least for how my bike is setup as-is. Shopping for heli-bars though..

(Day 2 is exploring all the famous twisty roads in the Angeles Ntl Forest, etc. and climbing up to Mt. Baldy before heading back home on the 15.)

-Ryan

Thats my type of route! I'm currently piecing together a route like that all the way to yosemite for later in the year, all free campsites are on my radar. I'm looking forward to a ride report from you!...