There is an old mining road that goes out to a mine located on the edge of Corrizo Gorge. The road is in the state park and is accessed via BLM roads from Inkopah. Many of us have been out there and ridden the trail out to the edge of the overlook. Its a great view and is not used by many people.

Well we were out that way this weekend and there is a new sign up that says "Foot traffic only, no motorized vehicles" This road has always been open and it is not wilderness. Why would they put up a sign like this?

I'm going to call and see why now in 2013 this trail has been closed. There is no reason to keep people out of that area.

They dont answer the phone. I left a message but will not hold my breath.

There is no email listed on their site. Randy do you have any contacts that I can call and ask about the new sign in the park?

This is happening all over, not just in Anza Borrego State Park. Even in places like Pine Valley, there are roads that were open just last year that now have signs at the entrances of them that state that they are for foot traffic only.

This is happening all over, not just in Anza Borrego State Park. Even in places like Pine Valley, there are roads that were open just last year that now have signs at the entrances of them that state that they are for foot traffic only.

we need to figure out if there was any kind of process or if they just put the signs up on a whim.

It's happening in the Forest right by me too. It has been explained to me why and there is no oversight. A Ranger decides to close it , puts up a sign , done.

It's happening in the Forest right by me too. It has been explained to me why and there is no oversight. A Ranger decides to close it , puts up a sign , done.

I think that they decide to close these routes just so it will be one route less that they have to go check on.

A couple of weeks past, I was chatting with Ranger Sue, I believe is her name, and she related that the Park is too big to close.

They have many positions unfilled due to Funding.

obviously they can't close a 1 million acre park. the closure is about 3 miles of rugged trail that has always been open.

I think that they decide to close these routes just so it will be one route less that they have to go check on.

someone needs to protest this.

I've found several of their documents and guidelines online. Hopefully a call to Ranger Sue can answer it but if not, searching their policy and procedures manual for closing trails/areas/etc could be looked into.

Ranger sue mclaughlin is supervising ranger. Her direct number is 760-767-4651. Might be good if a few of us call. Please be courteous if u call, we have a good relationship with her. Thanks

BP told me it was more convenient to close Moon Valley than to have to patrol it, wear and tear on vehicles, dangerous distance from the road etc.

Maybe they will open it once drones fly 24/7

Ranger sue mclaughlin is supervising ranger. Her direct number is 760-767-4651. Might be good if a few of us call. Please be courteous if u call, we have a good relationship with her. Thanks

Good idea, Randy. Ranger Sue was easy to deal with. I'll try to get a call in this week.

Randy, thanks for the number. She didn't answer, but I left a message. I will be courteous and don't really see any need to bring SDAR's name into the discussion.

I hope you are not talking about this view that is a fun ride down with 1 way in and the ride up and out is fun.

025_25.jpg

yes, that is it. Its "foot traffic only" now. I've been going out there for the last 10+ years and now its foot traffic only. As if people are actually going hiking out there. You need a 4x4 to get within 5 miles of the sign and then its several miles of steep rocky climbs to the overlook.

4719281289_e54dd21f35_b.jpg

It's great for more people to get involved.....Unfortunately, seems The closures will continue.....only NUMBERS (which we really do have) might prevent this.......if it is possible at all.....HOPEFULLY we can make a difference....

These are PUBLIC LANDS, that should remain available to the PUBLIC....NOT JUST HIKERS....

the "eco-nazis" are pretty vocal...and won't be happy til you can ONLY HIKE EVERYWHERE.... :angry2:/>

Randy works hard to inform us often on lots of these issues, sadly with very little response.... :(/>

a very small handful of us, have tried to be active in the National Forest, BLM, processes on closures, comments, etc...gone to meetings, gone to workshops, written "substantive comments" etc......

It seems that most riders around here don't want to get involved.......or just don't care?.......Let's get involved.....Before it's too late...