FuzzyNugs

Roadside flats--what to do?

I do carry a small hotel shampoo bottle that has been filled with tire changing lube.

It does work well in the garage and on the trail.

Correct front & rear tubes.

Something similar to the Simple Stand

Hand pump and electric Slime brand powered off of my Battery Tender plug.

Heavy duty long zip ties in case you just can't get a fix. Zip tire your tire to your wheel and go gently on the acceleration.

The DR rear is a pain to change out with the internal lip on that wheel.

I pre-powder my tubes and just carry them sealed in a 1/2 gallon baggie.

Travel sized spray bottle with diluted dish soap for bead lube.

A few months ago i made a "crutch" thing from a $6 wally world regular cane. Cut it down to 12" (goes to about 24 extended) and it fits perfect in my tool tube with the spoons. Small and very lightweight too (aluminum).

The most important issue is to practice tube / tire changes in your garage before you need the skills on the trail.

If your first attempt is in difficult conditions,,,,,

I just started using TWO Motion Pro rim locks, the lightweight blue version, for balance and the potential of

riding a flat to the truck.

https://www.motionpr...eloc_rim_locks/

big_boss.gif

Watch the video Afry put up, the first thing the guy does is put the stem in .

It helps hold the tire down, but that is tire change not flat fix.

All good ideas between the valve stem puller, starting with HD tubes, zip ties for an emergency, air pumps. Tieing the front end to a tree is def outside of the box, but legit! I have the Tusk valve stem puller and I still pinch fingers, but it sure does help. I'll prob pick up a bead buddy. Never understood how it worked, but now I see it takes the place of the first tire iron to hold it down so you don't need 3 hands or end up with a tap in the crotch.

I have an HD tube in my spare wheel that I'll pull out. Also gonna make a pit stop at Chapparal on the way up to DV for extra tubes.

Anyone else use a "crutch" type stick before? Time to google this and do my own research.

Thanks for posting up guys, and Desertrunner, that is some definite bad luck. Glad the bike didn't go down. Did your rim get chewed up on the asphalt at all?

No, luckily my rim is still good. The sidewall of the tire was stiff enough not to completely fold over, it just fishtailed around. As bagstr mentioned, I think having two rimlocks is a good idea. Mine popped off the bead opposite the rim lock. If I had two, I probably could have just ridden home cautiously.

I didn't have my tools with me since I was just about 10 miles from home, but normally I carry the motion pro tire spoons (I like them a lot) and a tube or a patch kit. Soapy water works fine as a lube but I have changed my tires/tubes a couple times without anything and that works fine too with extra elbow grease. If I'm out in no where, I'll just remove the axle nut, lay the bike on it's side with a rock or something of the like under the swingarm, then pull the axle and tire off. Piece of cake and no excess baggage. Sorry if you orange guys find that a little brash. :heh:

This caught my eye as I do not have an auxiliary 12 volt plug on my bike. How does this work? Is it a battery tender accessory?

This caught my eye as I do not have an auxiliary 12 volt plug on my bike. How does this work? Is it a battery tender accessory?

No- a battery tender plugs into a little pigtail makes it easy to connect and disconnect.

A little Slime compressor can connect to any 12v source- you can roach clip it to the battery. I never used one until Sunday, and I'll never be without it again. Filling a 140/80-18 was a cinch.

I bought my Slime compressor at Pep Boays for $34 or something. They do go on sale now and then. Took it home, took it apart to get the size smaller (toss the plastic case) and works like a champ.

Guest Crusty

I have forgotten how to fix a flat on the trail. LOL.

I have been Rocken the Tubliss system in My CR 500

my XR 680 L super Adventure Hard Core and the rear of my 2 T rock crawler CR. 250R,

for 3 years now.

Only 1 flat, front at Big Bear, this happened before I starteed adding 8 oz. of Slime per wheel.thumbsup_anim.gif

I flew through the rockey sections of last years Desert Dash,

on my XR 680L S.A H.C.coolio.gif

I use a battery tender on all my bikes. I'm confused to what Trophy was talking about. How does a Slime adapter connect with a battery tender pigtail? Is this it?

31j8-3LJcaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ps this looks sweet for running heated jackets or bike powered led headlights

coaxial-cable.JPG

the little compressor has a plug just like a battery tender, and plugs into the battery tender plug that lives on the bike.

It looks like the flat two-conductor connector in your posted images.

I understand your confusion, Goofy. As PMB mentioned, the compressor plugs into my battery tender pigtail mounted on the bike. Used it for a riding buddy 6 weeks ago - first usage - worked great.

I know KKug has a small compressor mounted on his BMW with an air line that reaches the tires. Nice set up but I just went with something I could toss in the tail bag. I carry one on my street bike, too.

I see it know...

This

Slime-Power-Sport-Mini-Tire-Inflator-Compressor-Kit-0363-0019.jpg

Has a power connector from the compressor which I can hook to my battery tender pigtail like this

BatteryTenderConnectors-300x240.jpg

Cool, I didn't know slime offered such a power adapter. PMB, can you fit the compressor in your Mojavi bags? I think this may be a good investment because I've yet to find a reliable/non-sucky hand pump.

Yes, but.

I take it out of its plastic enclosure and just carry the guts of it. Because I'm so hardcore.

WARNING: When operated, these little guys get VERY HOT. In fact, they are supposed to have a 5 minute duty cycle- 5 minutes operating, 10 minutes to cool down. On Sunday's flat, 5 minutes was enough to fill the big rear tire and seat the bead.

I hang the pump from something by its cord to allow the maximum cooling, and I imagine having it out of its enclosure helps keep it cooler but do't grab it during operation. Also without the enclosure there are moving parts and gears you don't want to stick body parts into. But it really makes it MUCH smaller.

Could you post a picture of the raw compressor sans plastic enclosure? Moving parts and gears has me leery of dust. Should I be worried? Do you carry the pump in a bag while inside your Mojavi?

Could you post a picture of the raw compressor sans plastic enclosure? Moving parts and gears has me leery of dust. Should I be worried? Do you carry the pump in a bag while inside your Mojavi?

I carry it in a ziplock.

I'll post a pic later...

I'll have check my pump, not sure of the model, but mine fits very snuggly in the top pouch of my Mojavi with the case on it. I was just to lazy to take it apart, and I don't worry to much about a few ounces... I am not fast enough for it to matter.

I got mine at walmart for about $10. Very similar to this one, except mine doesn't have the cool flashlight. Slime Pump

This one also connects via the standard cigarette lighter plug. I think I'd almost prefer the pigtail battery tender connection though.

31j8-3LJcaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

You have posted your solution...... party.gif/>

I checked the garage and I found a small Slime compressor with a cigarette lighter power cord.

So now where can I find one of these nifty battery tender --> cigarette lighter adapters locally in time for my ride on Friday?

EDIT: I'll try Radio Shack and then SD Harley