Leoffensive

DRZ 400 600 mile service

well my 600 mile service is coming up soon. im over 500 miles right now.

where should i go to have it done.

currently in a bind for cash.

if it too expensive ill have to wait on riding the bike til i get cash to have the service done.

How much do you have?

If I'm guessing- 600 mile service is valve check, oil change, chain tension...not much else. Get a dealer quote, then throw up an offer here, and add a case of PBR

What ever the service costs take that money and buy the tools and whatever manuals you need to do the service and do it yourself. Consider it "paying yourself" instead of the shop. The mooch factor is high among this crowd so follow the advice of the slutty one, and invest in frosty beverages to offer to those further down the path willing to mentor you.

That experience will pay huge dividends down the road.

get your bike's Clymer manual and start doing maintenance yourself (and eventually repairs). I don't know the DRZ400 but usually these thumpers aren't too hard to work on.

Your owners manual probably states what needs to be done at 600miles, probably just oil and basic inspections as bikeslut said.

you'll save a lot of cash that way and will also become familiar with the bike which could help you someday on the trails..

(oops, tlking6 beat me to it)

Or buy the manual online (maybe download for free) and bring her by my house and I will teach you how. You will need an oil filter for sure.

Valves need to be checked stone-cold, so don't ride it somewhere and expect to check valves- needs to sit overnight.

Truth is, I don't know how to adjust valves either, but I know people that do.

I can help you with an oil change, air filter removal and cleaning, chain tension/alignment, bolts tightened... Other than valves, that should be the 600 mile service I think

Assuming you are really tight on money, you can go on-line and find valve check details, but you'll need a feeler gauge. All the rest you'll need should be in your stock tool roll.

Filter for oil prices are on-line- also; if you're commuting on the drz, think of the gas money you'll save!

Leo,

I did the oil and filter and valve clearances on mine at 600, 2000, and 3000, and there was no change at all, which is common on the bucket and shim adjusters. Thats a good thing, since you'll need a shim kit when it comes time for adjustment. As Bike Slut mentions, it needs to be cold engine for the check. If you send me your email address, I can send you an electronic copy of the service manual (22meg). Money invested in tools is well spent, especially if they are part of your riding kit. I generally try to do all the "basic" maintenance with the tools I ride with, that way, you'll have the right tool with you when you need it on the trail.

How much do you have?

If I'm guessing- 600 mile service is valve check, oil change, chain tension...not much else. Get a dealer quote, then throw up an offer here, and add a case of PBR

Did I hear PBR?

I have the manual here. I have valve shims. I have torque wrenches. I have minimal room in my garage due to VW and motorcycle inhabitants, but can always fit another bike. Hit me up.

almost forgot, when you do the oil change, be sure to check the sump filter in the frame too.

Truth is, I don't know how to adjust valves either

That is a fact. No need for overnight deal but they do need to cool down while the BS continues.

haha wow i lost track of this thread.

well im kinda putting my bike(riding around and service) on the back burner right now dealing with the funeral and hiccups with my insurance and upcoming anniversary/GF's birthday(within a week of each other)

it will probably be a few weeks before i can get to this service. sucks cause i wont be riding.

that said i still feel i owe tntmo some PBR from the help he offered when i was lookin at Sluts old DR350.