Sign in to follow this  
PastaPilot

Hawk Watch

The Wildlife Research Institute in Ramona conducts an educational seminar about all the raptors that visit the Ramona grasslands every winter. They talk about tagging and tracking raptors as part of their research. Last year they had at least a dozen raptors that you could get a closer look at, no touching. Hawk Watch is only done on Saturdays in January and February. I've been a couple times and am looking forward to going this year. There's no cost, refreshments are served, donations are appreciated.

http://www.wildlife-research.org/hawkwatch.html

DSC00032_zps51bb476d.jpg

perspective,, that hawk looks ready to gobble up that mouse sized kid.

I used to hunt deer, turkey, duck and geese about a mile from there then the Nature Conservancy bought the land...oh well. There's a big hawk living on my property right now ...think that's where the last kitty went.

Thats my front yard. I have a front row seat every night. Huge pair living in my front yard. Awesome to see them in action.

Thats my front yard. I have a front row seat every night. Huge pair living in my front yard. Awesome to see them in action.

Mine too. I'm off Traylor and Highland Valley. What's up neighbor!

Julie and I are going to Hawk Watch tomorrow. We plan to be there by 9AM.

Afterwards we intend to take a walk to Cedar Creek Falls. I've only been in the summer so should be much more impressive now.

Should be nice weather, temps in the 50s.

Awesome creatures. Take a good look at that beak. They are living decendants of the dinasaurs.

You don't need to go to Ramona. We have them here in the Lake Hodges area. I have lost two cats to hawks in the past year. Actually saw ones swoop down and grab one in my driveway.

We didn't make it out today. Julie wasn't feeling well last night so she called it off. We're going to try again in 2 weeks.