Metal Twister

August 25th Corral Cyn. Night Ride

I had a chance to meet with Carguy this morning for some east county snooping. We must of looked suspecious to someone. We were stopped on the street by the Border Patrol for some quick questioning, then freed to travel on. Im sure it was Johns Over stuffed cammied back pack that got their attention, along with blazing off of the boarder road at sun up. LOL We headed right for the Golden Acorn where we topped off the fuel and headed east. John knows that part of the world like the back of his hand so it was a real treat to follow knowing that we wernt going to get in too deep. We made it down the old Stage coach road to Moutian Springs. At that point we crossed over both lanes of the Hwy 8 and did some poking around at the old stage station. From there we jumped on the 8 headed west to the Cameron Truck trail. From there we did some more snooping and actually found a road that John didnt Know!!! What a treat. LOL we finally parted ways in Potrero.

After all was done today, John and I both think the night ride should stay up out of the desert, for this time of year anyway. We would like to do the same route as the last night ride only add a section that would run us via dirt road to Potrero. We would double back and end up at the mid way point of Buckman springs rd. leaving a short little road section to Corral cyn. The ride wont be too challenging in terms of rough, technical, riding, Im sure the night vision issue will make it interesting as always. It should be fun to feel our way around the east county in the dark. Im looking foward to a good time, and hope you will join us.

Im thinking a 5:30 PM Departure from the four corners parking area at Corral Cyn. on August 25 would be about right.

I have a friend from Montana visiting that weekend so I won't be making the ride. Is there going to be a "pit stop" like last time? I may drag him out to that and give a hand if needed. (by "give a hand" I mean drink beer :good: ) Keep me posted as to when and where the "pit stop" will be, hope to see you all out there. :P Ken

I have a friend from Montana visiting that weekend so I won't be making the ride. Is there going to be a "pit stop" like last time? I may drag him out to that and give a hand if needed. (by "give a hand" I mean drink beer :lol: ) Keep me posted as to when and where the "pit stop" will be, hope to see you all out there. :lol: Ken

We will see if anyone wants to pick up the ball on the pit stop Ken, we will have to play that one by ear for awhile. The route will take us through Mc Cain Valley again. That might be a good stop point. Or Corral cyn. before or after, might be a option. If no one wants to play chuck wagon, maybe just a cooler along the way with cold refreshments might be in order? There is alot of nice spots for that.

I have a friend from Montana visiting that weekend so I won't be making the ride. Is there going to be a "pit stop" like last time? I may drag him out to that and give a hand if needed. (by "give a hand" I mean drink beer :lol: ) Keep me posted as to when and where the "pit stop" will be, hope to see you all out there. :lol: Ken

Put your friend on the DRZ and come along. :lol:

...(by "give a hand" I mean drink beer :lol: ) Keep me posted as to when and where the "pit stop" will be, hope to see you all out there. :lol: Ken

We will see if anyone wants to pick up the ball on the pit stop Ken...

Team R-O is down for pit crew :lol: I'll need all the help we can muster draining Silver Bullets during the wait period :D More details as they develop...

...(by "give a hand" I mean drink beer :) ) Keep me posted as to when and where the "pit stop" will be, hope to see you all out there. :) Ken

We will see if anyone wants to pick up the ball on the pit stop Ken...

Team R-O is down for pit crew :) I'll need all the help we can muster draining Silver Bullets during the wait period :D More details as they develop...

If this group is half as talented as the last night riders, You had better drain those silver bullets fast. You guys were to the pit stop before we could set up the chuck wagon. On the brighter side if we get there before your ready, we can help with the beverages!!! Thanks Rob for stepping up to the call of duty! We will need to get a head count for this ride so we can figure out how many cases to purchase. :D

If your planning on attending this night ride for sure, please let it be known so we can make arrangements to accommodate you. Thanks Bob

Oh yeah, I'm in! If you guys would like: I'll throw the pig on the trailer so I can bring the essentials (the grill, big cooler, and grub) for an over-nighter. :)

"PYRO Cam to the service desk please; some night footage might be in order"

I missed the last night ride :) I am in for this one though :) I am guessing we are camping at corral :)

Camping at Corral is sure an option. Last time there were a few that wanted to come down from the north county, and relized that the drive home after a long bikeride in the middle of the night might be a bit much.

Im hoping that the option for a lay over at Corral might make it easyer for those that have to travel a bit to get there. Who knows, maybe bring the kids and wives let them ride the rest of the weekend?

Okey doky, I've got plenty of beer and sodas left over from a little party we had over the weekend (along with a boatload of Pina Colada mix and Rum B) ) so that's all set. The 625 is not coming along as hoped (more on this later :o ) so I'll 'Q while y'all ride :o We won't spend the night, and the Pine Valley exit is a lilttle more convenient than Corral, but you guys (and Gal?) make the call and I'll set-up wherever you want- JUST LEMME KNOW B)

...I can bring the essentials (the grill, big cooler, and grub) for an over-nighter. :o

"PYRO Cam to the service desk please; some night footage might be in order"

Having a BBQ at Corral would make it easier if you're camping Guns, but if you're not overnighting it I'll have mine in the truck.

PYROCAM FOOTAGE IS ESSENTIAL!!! Chime in Pyro :o

I'm gonna be out at corral canyon on Saturday and will at least come by and say whats up before you take off at 4 corners (if that is the meeting spot). I might even cruise with you for a little bit, but my xt600 doesn't do too good above 60MPH and I'm a new rider and don't want to slow down the pace.. I'll see if my riding buddy wants to camp out and maybe we'll check you guys out at CC after the ride too.

I'm gonna be out at corral canyon on Saturday and will at least come by and say whats up before you take off at 4 corners (if that is the meeting spot). I might even cruise with you for a little bit, but my xt600 doesn't do too good above 60MPH and I'm a new rider and don't want to slow down the pace.. I'll see if my riding buddy wants to camp out and maybe we'll check you guys out at CC after the ride too.

Hey spaugh! the route we will be taking will be a good pace but not crazy fast! specially after sunset. I have no desire to haul arse in the dark. we've all seen what happens when you do that, right Hammer? I dont know how new you are to riding but there are alot of places to catch the asphalt if the pace is to quick for you. Heck who knows, we might get into that rum and just forget to ride? :angry: Give it some thought, bet it will be a blast for you being a new rider and all. Remember, Change is Opportunity!

^ right on, my main hold up is my bike. Its a total piece of crap. The brake light doesn't work and it hickups once I get above 60MPH. If brake light is required thats pretty much a deal breaker for me. I'll have a new bike in a month or two, for now I'm stuck riding dirt during the day... or drinking rum...

^ right on, my main hold up is my bike. Its a total piece of crap. The brake light doesn't work and it hickups once I get above 60MPH. If brake light is required thats pretty much a deal breaker for me. I'll have a new bike in a month or two, for now I'm stuck riding dirt during the day... or drinking rum...

Riding during the day and drinking rum isn't too bad of a life. Brake light should be an easy fix, and the hiccups sounds like a carb issue. I'm willing to look at it if you are close to me, and if I'm not I'm sure someone is who would give you a hand.

When you get a new bike, I have someone that may be interested in your old POS also.

Riding during the day and drinking rum isn't too bad of a life. Brake light should be an easy fix, and the hiccups sounds like a carb issue. I'm willing to look at it if you are close to me, and if I'm not I'm sure someone is who would give you a hand.

When you get a new bike, I have someone that may be interested in your old POS also.

I'm pretty close, just north on 125 exit navajo... There is more to it than a busted bulb. There is no AC coming off the stator. Only the ignition circuit is hot. I don't want to pay for a new stator, I'd rather get a new bike at this point. I've already replaced a bunch of crap on the bike(I got it off a friend who didn't want to be bothered by it). Now its my POS. Its runs fairly well for a 200$ bike....

I signed in on this post once must of had the side stand down when I pushed the send reply icon :lol::angry: I just need to adjust my high beem and watch this thread for more inf. thanks for the post as allways THE DOC.

I feel like im stuck between a rock and a hard spot here. I started this topic because a night ride sounded like the perfect ride for this time of year. Since I set this date I feel an obligation to see it through. However Ive since been obligateted to another function which is business REQUIRED! If there was ANY way to ride on the 25th Id be there, I just cant make it! I have been holding off in hopes that i could get out of the meeting on Saturday night. It appears that that is not going to happen. My appoligies to everyone that was looking to ride as I was. My hopes is that you guys press foward and have a great ride! Sorry! Bob

I feel like im stuck between a rock and a hard spot here. I started this topic because a night ride sounded like the perfect ride for this time of year. Since I set this date I feel an obligation to see it through. However Ive since been obligateted to another function which is business REQUIRED! If there was ANY way to ride on the 25th Id be there, I just cant make it! I have been holding off in hopes that i could get out of the meeting on Saturday night. It appears that that is not going to happen. My appoligies to everyone that was looking to ride as I was. My hopes is that you guys press foward and have a great ride! Sorry! Bob

Sorry to hear you can't go, but that will leave more beer for the rest of us :angry: . Who else knows the route you had planned "John"? Perhaps he will step up (he has on 90% of the rides I have been on). Even though I am not riding, I am still in if there is enough interest. I don't know why it wouldn't go on. Any chance you will be able to meet us at the end of the ride for a cold one? :lol: Ken

:angry: But we NEED you!

:angry: But we NEED you!

Yea! like a sharp stick in the eye, Smart Ass! :lol:

Yea! like a sharp stick in the eye, Smart Ass! :lol:

No, I'm serious! We need you to lead the pack with John since you two scoped the route. If I'd said something like "You can't go... we love you so... :angry: " THAT would be a smart @ss comment ;) Besides who will help us drink all that beer and rum now???

That IS another serious question, WHO'S STILL IN??? I need a head count for burgers :lol:

For those guys like me who don't know where Coral canyon is, where is it? Is there an address and town?

For those guys like me who don't know where Coral canyon is, where is it? Is there an address and town?

For all who wish to join, we will meet at 4 corners Corral Canyon OHV area. It is located off the I-8 just east of Pine Valley. It would be I-8 to Buckman Springs Road. Go south to about 6.5mp, there is a road labeled corral canyon(Actually Morena Stokes Valley Road), head West I think about 4-5miles to 4 corners. Chime in if you have better directions.

Here is a link to the USDA info;

Corral Canyon info

I will have a spare adventure pass to loan for the evening as I am sure others will. Please let Ride Orange know if you plan on being there so he can plan for food and drinks. Joel and I will be there.

Has the type of trail been discussed / rated? Dirt bikes, big bikes, bypasses for difficult sections? I should have paid more attention. :)

I thought there were going to be many more riders than our last night ride, but I don't hear many responses???? Ken