Joliet

Maintenance day Saturday 8-11

I am going to have another "Maintenance Day" at my shop in Vista. It is near the old Carlsbad raceway.

I think instead of a BBQ, we will just run up the hill to get a bite for lunch. There is a Submarina, Jack in the Box, Taco bell and others close. I will have cold drinks and snacks here.

Personally I will be doing a water pump seal, and some electrical work. I have most common tools and torque wrenches, recepticals for oil and fluids a couple of stands. PM if you have any questions or special requirements. I have a "hot cams" shim kit if some one wants to do a valve adjust.

If you just want to hang and shoot the breeze with some other riders thats great, everyone is welcome. If you want to spoon on a tire and give balancing it a shot, I have lead for that. Come on by and have a cold drink. I have the Shane Watts "Dirt Wise" video if someone wants to see it.

The address is 1234 Keystone Way, Vista, CA 92081. Major cross streets are Palomar Airport Road(San Marcos Blvd) and Business Park Drive. From the intersection you go north on Business Park drive, through 2 lights and make the next left on Keystone Way. Third driveway on the right, second building on the right. Look for the maroon boat.

Here is a sat image with gps numbers. If you have questions or need directions PM or call 760-224-1808.

See you Sat. :D Ken

Ke.jpg

I am going to have another "Maintenance Day" at my shop in Vista. It is near the old Carlsbad raceway.

I think instead of a BBQ, we will just run up the hill to get a bite for lunch. There is a Submarina, Jack in the Box, Taco bell and others close. I will have cold drinks and snacks here.

Personally I will be doing a water pump seal, and some electrical work. I have most common tools and torque wrenches, recepticals for oil and fluids a couple of stands. PM if you have any questions or special requirements. I have a "hot cams" shim kit if some one wants to do a valve adjust.

If you just want to hang and shoot the breeze with some other riders thats great, everyone is welcome. If you want to spoon on a tire and give balancing it a shot, I have lead for that. Come on by and have a cold drink. I have the Shane Watts "Dirt Wise" video if someone wants to see it.

The address is 1234 Keystone Way, Vista, CA 92081. Major cross streets are Palomar Airport Road(San Marcos Blvd) and Business Park Drive. From the intersection you go north on Business Park drive, through 2 lights and make the next left on Keystone Way. Third driveway on the right, second building on the right. Look for the maroon boat.

Here is a sat image with gps numbers. If you have questions or need directions PM or call 760-224-1808.

See you Sat. :) Ken

Ke.jpg

Wow, a dirt bike track and a Drag strip next to your shop. Way Cool! Maybe I'll bring the Rod up and give her a run.

Wow, a dirt bike track and a Drag strip next to your shop. Way Cool! Maybe I'll bring the Rod up and give her a run.

It's gone. Trust me, it's the first thing I checked out on a previous maintenance day... :)

I'll try to make it Ken, and I will remember to bring your paddle too :) !

Do you want me to bring anything?

Gunz

I can't think of anything we will need. I could use some help chasing down an electrical problem with my lights. Other than that I just need someone to drink a beer with. :) Ken

I can't think of anything we will need. I could use some help chasing down an electrical problem with my lights. Other than that I just need someone to drink a beer with. :) Ken

I will bring my test equipment to chase down your lighting problem. Call me and tell me the symptoms.

Symptoms, I was just driving along and my wiring harness burst into flames! No, wait - that was your bike.

My DC stuff is working(blinkers) My AC stuff isn't (head and tail lights) I am guessing the rectifier, but I have not started troubleshooting yet. Maybe just a fuse, I noticed a bare wire on the rear brake switch.

Are you thinking about comming over on Saturday?

Symptoms, I was just driving along and my wiring harness burst into flames! No, wait - that was your bike.

My AC stuff is working(blinkers) My DC stuff isn't (head and tail lights) I am guessing the rectifier, but I have not started troubleshooting yet. Maybe just a fuse, I noticed a bare wire on the rear brake switch.

I thought you were talking about your shop lights :):) A lighting problem on your bike is a different matter that I know nothing about but I might drop by. No word on my ktm yet.

My AC stuff is working(blinkers) My DC stuff isn't (head and tail lights) I am guessing the rectifier, but I have not started troubleshooting yet. Maybe just a fuse, I noticed a bare wire on the rear brake switch.

I am pretty sure all your lighting should be DC out of a regulator/rectifier. That is the way all the bikes I have ever seen are wired. If yours isn't maybe that is part of the problem :) I am guessing your bike didn't come wired for street from the factory. Maybe you just have some things wired wrong. A wiring disgram will tell all, if you have one for your bike. :) Maybe you gotsa burnt bulbs. If any part of the wiring was done inline ( no, not inline-the word I was looking for was "in series") and not "in parallel", that would screw things up.

I've been thinking of grinding the header flange welds down on the pig. Rumor tells Honda has the primaries rather choked up. Any chance we could do this on Sat?

If you have a stereo or something in the shop I'll bring my library of music. 18,000 songs. You name it chances are it's in there.

I've been thinking of grinding the header flange welds down on the pig. Rumor tells Honda has the primaries rather choked up. Any chance we could do this on Sat?

If you have a stereo or something in the shop I'll bring my library of music. 18,000 songs. You name it chances are it's in there.

If a die grinder or dremmel tool will do you I can suppy it.

I don't have anything you would recognize as a stereo. It is a small splash-resistaint Sony boom box that I purchased in 1983 that I used to take on float trips. Then at the other end of the shop we have the "old" radio :) . Ken

Any bike that has a battery should be running all DC power. Dirtbikes without a battery usually run AC.

Anyway, I would start checking for voltage at the head/taillight and go from there. If you have no voltage check fuses first, then continuity checks on the wiring. If you have a wiring diagram it shouldn't be too difficult. It could be worse, you could be troubleshooting a wiring issue on a GoldWing.

It's gone. Trust me, it's the first thing I checked out on a previous maintenance day... :D

Crap, All the good things seem to go away. :P:)

Still might drive, need to stretch some legs out and give it a run. :)

Any bike that has a battery should be running all DC power. Dirtbikes without a battery usually run AC.

Anyway, I would start checking for voltage at the head/taillight and go from there. If you have no voltage check fuses first, then continuity checks on the wiring. If you have a wiring diagram it shouldn't be too difficult. It could be worse, you could be troubleshooting a wiring issue on a GoldWing.

Had it backwards AC is the head and tail light DC is the signals. It has a battery now but not originally.

I guess it is a KTM thing, there is a mod you can do to the stator to power the stuff with DC. I may give that a try. Perhaps some one will show up with a soldier gun and some know-how. I have printed the directions for the mod. We will see how it goes. :) Ken

I will bring solder & gear to test & repair wire in the jalopy. Be there 9-10ish.

Had it backwards AC is the head and tail light DC is the signals. It has a battery now but not originally.

I guess it is a KTM thing, there is a mod you can do to the stator to power the stuff with DC. I may give that a try. Perhaps some one will show up with a soldier gun and some know-how. I have printed the directions for the mod. We will see how it goes. :) Ken

I think you're right Ken.. It's a KTM thing. My 07 EXC is the same way according to the wiring diagrams. The stator has 2 sides an AC side and a DC side. The AC side runs the headlight and taillight. The DC side charges the battery and also runs the blinkers. That's part of the reason the fancy new 50 state street legal KTM EXC's aren't (totally street legal that is). The Headlight and taillight go out when the motor stops. CA requires the taillight to stay illuminated for 15 minutes without the engine running. I've been meaning to wire mine to the DC side, powered through the switch - but I'm leery to cut up my new bike's wiring system.

The OEM fan also runs off the DC side. One of the problems I've heard about is that it will run your battery down if you are idling alot and drawing lots of DC voltage. So far I've had no problems. Trailtech sells the rectifier to convert it to a full DC system like you mentioned.

Thanks for putting this on Ken. I may swing by with the KLR and see if anyone want to teach me how to change a tube. I've got tire irons and a patch kit and absolutely no idea what to do with them :)

Thanks for putting this on Ken. I may swing by with the KLR and see if anyone want to teach me how to change a tube. I've got tire irons and a patch kit and absolutely no idea what to do with them :)

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_...1215721,00.html

Watch these 3 videos, it may help to take a couple of notes. Then come on over and we will show those tires who's boss (the first couple of times the tires usually are) :) . I can let you practice spooning on and off my terraflex :D . I have got baby powder and windex. Ken

I will bring solder & gear to test & repair wire in the jalopy. Be there 9-10ish.

I will save you a parking place and a cold beer or two :good: . Ken

OK- I don't need to work on any bikes, but I want to just come drink beer, and laugh at bloody knuckles... work always gets in the way of important stuff :good:

I've got the header off the bike already so I'll be driving up.

See ya folks in the AM.

Jon

Working on your bike is an OK way to spend the day. Working on your bike and having a bunch of friends to spend the day with makes it so much better. Thanks to everyone that come over to help make my day better.

Carguy

Honda Pilot

Levvy

Hammer and Wife

Cheif gunner

Schwinn

I enjoyed the company of each and every one of you. I guess I will have to work on the bike after work next week to get it back together :good:. Thats just for the water pump, I havn't even started on the electrical system yet :P . It is amazing how little work you can get done talking and drinking beer :P Ken

Thanks for having me Ken, it was good to see you guy's....Carguy, Hondapilot, Schwinn and Levy. I ran the pig at good speed on the way home and that starter made the "Screech" again when I shut it off and tried to fire it up in the garage so I called Motoworld and they told me to just "Bring it in".....

We'll see, I will post how I was treated there when it's time to drop the pig off.

But for now I'm going to drink some cold ones and relax, that 78 is insane! When I left I jokingly said "It's time to go play in traffic".....I had no idea how crazy people get on that road :good::P HS!

I had people riding my fender and trying to push me out of lanes, I do the 94 and 8 every day and have not seen that.

Enough whinning I'll catch you guy's later.....Thanks again

Next Maintenance day is at my place! We'll fire up the grill and throw some Flintstone sized steaks on it!

Aaron

Thanks for having us over Ken! I'm now slightly less terrified of getting a flat in the middle of nowhere :good: