KTMrad

Local Business v. Online Shopping

Just as at my local Coffee Bar, I like to pay for friendship.

Ask my dear wife, I have too many friends at the Local Motorcycle Shops.

cowboy.gif

Nice to hear some more positive stuff about local business and moto shops, which was the original intent.

FYI, I've been working on South Bay Moto for a club discount....but it's taking time.

I liked cycle gear when I went in there guy that helped was real cool and didn't get annoyed when I told him I was there to check stuff out and try helmets and that was it

also that said ill be buying my bike from fun bike center because they have been the most hospitable to me.

Ive heard all kinds of bad about them but when I went they were always courteous every time I went in there and i didn't feel like I was being pressured into anything, they had me sit on multiple bikes to see what I could comfortably sit on.

I went to motoworld of el cajon and the last time I went in a younger guy came up and just didn't seem as friendly other people from other places and I felt like he was trying to push me into buying a bike when I made it clear that I wasn't ready to buy a bike.

I still feel apprehensive about getting my bike serviced there(im planning on the new honda crf250l) cause of the bad rap.

i was recommended to go to lemon grove cycle by another member and the mechanic i met there is awesome.(they moved and are in el cajon and are now called grove cycle IIRC). he told me he didnt work on the new hondas so i asked him where i should go but he didnt really have an answer for that. so im thinkin about just giving FBC a chance and letting them do the servicing.

I wont buy tires in CA simply because I refuse to pay the recycling tax...I mean 'fee'.

Local business want me to buy from then then they too need to help change CA's silly laws.

Motoworld has been great about OEM parts and price matching!

I frequent both All American KTM and Ramona Cycle Cycle Supply......I appreciate having the local resources/friendships in my home town.....

Randy - your point is well taken and you did. If I have something vacuum related, I know where to start. If I'm not in a rush, I'll call a local place with a part number and see how it goes. I had great luck with Vey's in Lemon Grove. They were actually cheaper than BikeBandit and called me when the part came in. It's worth a short drive to support local. I do end up buying most stuff online due to convenience - and as Crusty said - support other local businesses.

I was taken at MW on some service a couple of years ago, tried to remedy the problem and got no reply. They will never see another one of my bikes and if I ever buy new again, they lost that too. They do have a reasonable stock of oils, tires, etc so I run in for the small stuff.

TrophyHunter...

My name is Jared Malmquist and I am the Service and Parts Manager at Motoworld of El Cajon. I was just reading through this post and see that you said you were "taken at MW on some service a couple of years ago, tried to remedy the problem and got no reply". I would like to know who you spoke to regarding this issue. I would like to talk to you about this and see what happened. Please give me a call when you have a chance at 619-442-0941 x125 and ask for Jared.

Thanks

Jared's reply above is what I like to see....hoping shops will take the time to read this stuff and try to resolve situations like mentioned.

Jared, thanks for checking in !

Jared was riding a Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 at the last Desert Dash.

also that said ill be buying my bike from fun bike center because they have been the most hospitable to me.

Ive heard all kinds of bad about them but when I went they were always courteous every time I went in there and i didn't feel like I was being pressured into anything, they had me sit on multiple bikes to see what I could comfortably sit on.

I went to motoworld of el cajon and the last time I went in a younger guy came up and just didn't seem as friendly other people from other places and I felt like he was trying to push me into buying a bike when I made it clear that I wasn't ready to buy a bike.

I still feel apprehensive about getting my bike serviced there(im planning on the new honda crf250l) cause of the bad rap.

i was recommended to go to lemon grove cycle by another member and the mechanic i met there is awesome.(they moved and are in el cajon and are now called grove cycle IIRC). he told me he didnt work on the new hondas so i asked him where i should go but he didnt really have an answer for that. so im thinkin about just giving FBC a chance and letting them do the servicing.

If you're buying new, check out OTD Cycle Sports. I bought my DRZ from them in 2007 for $5,300 out the door. They charged me the out-the-door price just like they said they would — no surprises. The price they charged for the bike was around $4900 so that with sales tax, my price was exactly $5,300. This was when local dealers were asking about $6,400 for the same bike. You can add sales tax and freight to the list price to get an out-the-door price of about $8,000 with the local dealers back in 2007.

In 2008, I bought a DRZ125 from South Bay Motorsports for the OTD advertised price. They tried to get me to go higher for about a half hour or so before they agreed to the OTD price. So even if you don't take the drive up to L.A., definitely print out the OTD price and hit your local dealer over the head with it before you buy from them.

OTD's price for a CRF250L is $4,499.00 right now.

If you're buying new, check out OTD Cycle Sports. I bought my DRZ from them in 2007 for $5,300 out the door. They charged me the out-the-door price just like they said they would — no surprises. The price they charged for the bike was around $4900 so that with sales tax, my price was exactly $5,300. This was when local dealers were asking about $6,400 for the same bike. You can add sales tax and freight to the list price to get an out-the-door price of about $8,000 with the local dealers back in 2007.

In 2008, I bought a DRZ125 from South Bay Motorsports for the OTD advertised price. They tried to get me to go higher for about a half hour or so before they agreed to the OTD price. So even if you don't take the drive up to L.A., definitely print out the OTD price and hit your local dealer over the head with it before you buy from them.

OTD's price for a CRF250L is $4,499.00 right now.

ahem: "* Price shown is based on the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) and is subject to change. MSRP excludes optional accessories, applicable taxes, installation, setup and/or other dealer fees."

the MSRP for the crf250L is $4,500. Of course, as you said, I'm sure you could work them down a bit but that advertized price is by no means OTD.

ahem: "* Price shown is based on the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) and is subject to change. MSRP excludes optional accessories, applicable taxes, installation, setup and/or other dealer fees."

the MSRP for the crf250L is $4,500. Of course, as you said, I'm sure you could work them down a bit but that advertized price is by no means OTD.

In 2007, I bought a DRZ400S from OTD (Out The Door) Motorsports for their advertised price of $5,300.00 out the door — no negotiating, no surprises.

It's been five years so maybe things have changed, but when I dealt with them in 2007, they did what they said they were going to do.

TrophyHunter...

My name is Jared Malmquist and I am the Service and Parts Manager at Motoworld of El Cajon. I was just reading through this post and see that you said you were "taken at MW on some service a couple of years ago, tried to remedy the problem and got no reply". I would like to know who you spoke to regarding this issue. I would like to talk to you about this and see what happened. Please give me a call when you have a chance at 619-442-0941 x125 and ask for Jared.

Thanks

Had a good conversation with Jared. Because the issue happened a while ago, there's no way to know exactly what the answer is. What it came down to was when I questioned a repair, the service writer never got back to me with an answer after a few attempts on my part to resolve the issue. I didn't bring it to management because I had ridden with the service manager and didn't want to negatively affect their job - even though I was pretty sure they overdid my service - ie: more $$.

I appreciate Jared posting up and we resolved the issue as best we could. The service writer no longer works there and I agreed to give them another chance at my business. Problem is, I have Suzuki's now.....

I'll still stop in for parts, oil, etc as I've had really good service from the parts folks and MW usually has what I need in stock.