KTMrad

Local Business v. Online Shopping

This is from a good friend, who owns a local small business, and we were talking about online purchasing of tires v. supporting local shops....here's his take on it from a business owner's point of view......he owns a vacuum shop that also sells commercial cleaning supplies and services that type of equipment....

My perspective after more than 20 years in retail:

Many customers haven’t a clue what it actually takes to stay in business so we can “serve them”. After buying online they’re in for vacuum bags or service. I ask where they bought the machine (online), then they say, “but I get all my bags and other stuff here”. They don’t realize we can't survive on that.

MANY times we hear the recurring theme: “I didn’t know you were here so we bought it online”. In reality, they didn’t even look for a local retailer until AFTER they bought it (we dominate all local search results). AFTER figuring out they don’t want to be troubled ordering the small stuff like bags online, THEN they search for local support.

Here is what the local merchant wants from you:

Give him a chance to price match and never under any circumstance ask him to also absorb sales tax.

Many mfgs have realized the importance of maintaining a network of active brick and mortar retailers and have taken steps to protect them. They control online pricing, called MAP (minimum advertised price). A lot of customers don’t know that and just assume the online price will be the lowest available. The do NOT give the local merchant a call or a chance. We price match all day any day because the price is already the same. MANY of the vacuums we sell have a HIGHER MAP than “in-store” pricing. We are already cheaper.

However, the above won’t always be true and the retailer may be forced to take less $. But he may CHOOSE to do so, so give him a chance to price match. That can hurt, but I know all the reasons some shops do it, including product flow, maintaining your customer base, a little revenue, and yes, even hurting that onlinenooverheadfreeshippingintomystatewithnosalestax SOB.

Asking the local guy who supports a brick and mortar location to also absorb sales tax adds insult to injury, especially if his margin IS reduced by price matching. Nothing infuriates him more than actually being less competitive than out-of-state resellers who don’t have to collect HIS state’s sales tax that HE MUST collect, and who don’t pay dearly to live in CA (San Diego!).

Good post, I checked prices on tires online and then gave Scot at Motoworld a chance, he came close enough for me.

I personally would like to keep local guys around even if I have to pay a little more.

Good post, I checked prices on tires online and then gave Scot at Motoworld a chance, he came close enough for me.

I personally would like to keep local guys around even if I have to pay a little more.

That's good news.

I also like buying locally. I am just stymied at the differences in the initial quote and final selling price. Some folks don't like haggling over prices and go directly on-line for purchases to skip the middle man (and uncomfortable haggling).

This isn't just related to bikes, service and parts -- it applies to vehicle purchases, electronics, hotels...the whole gamut.

It's site's like this one where word of mouth matters. Actual customers spreading the word on great prices and excellent customer service.

Good post.

I like to buy local when I can, but last time I checked on a tire at a local shop, they were miles away from the on-line price I found. The sales person was not interested at all in reducing the price even a tiny bit, insisting that I was already getting a great bargain compared to "retail". <_<

I realize that sometimes small businesses can barely even buy products from their suppliers for the prices that some on-line businesses sell them for. I used to run a shop, myself, so remember that sort of thing.

BTW, my friend is Brett...he's an SDAR contributing member, and he owns Metro Vacuum in La Mesa. He's never done a plug for his business, so I'm doing it for him.

Another friend Gary (rides BMW's and Husky's, done the Desert Dash a bunch of times with his son Noah), his wife just bought a vacuum from Brett....his wife said, "great shop".

I like to buy local when I can, but last time I checked on a tire at a local shop, they were miles away from the on-line price I found. The sales person was not interested at all in reducing the price even a tiny bit, insisting that I was already getting a great bargain compared to "retail". <_</>

I realize that sometimes small businesses can barely even buy products from their suppliers for the prices that some on-line businesses sell them for. I used to run a shop, myself, so remember that sort of thing.

Mimi, while this is true sometimes...I always still call the local shops and give them a chance....sometimes it depends on who's answering the phone. Usually, I know someone at the shop, so I ask for them and often get a discount without even asking for one.

And I DO try to support other small, local businesses...not just bike shops.

Mimi, while this is true sometimes...I always still call the local shops and give them a chance....sometimes it depends on who's answering the phone. Usually, I know someone at the shop, so I ask for them and often get a discount without even asking for one.

And I DO try to support other small, local businesses...not just bike shops.

I didn't call them on the phone. I was standing at the counter with my wallet out, and there were two other salespeople standing there watching.

And yes, I like to support local small businesses besides motorcycle shops too.

]

Yeah...that's the attitude that often keeps me away from local shops. I shouldn't have to haggle like a rug merchant to get a decent price on a damn pair of tires. I don't want to play games.

I'm happy to support my local shop- if they don't jerk me around on the price, and offer personal, courteous service. I don't want to have to "know somebody" or "talk to the right guy" to buy anything- it demonstrates a lack of integrity.

There are shops I patronize that I know will charge my buddy more than they'd charge me. Why would I refer my buddy to them??

And since I'm pissing people off (again)- if I come to your shop to buy a part for a bike I purchased elsewhere, are you going to give me attitude? If I bring my bike in for warranty repair, will you drop me to the bottom of the schedule just to spite me?

Or will you see this as an opportunity to earn my business? To earn my NEXT bike purchase, or that referral to my buddy (hey- I should have bought my bike there, but they're great folks- check them out) or are you going to be angry, resentful and drive me elsewhere in the future?

Yeah...that's the attitude that often keeps me away from local shops. I shouldn't have to haggle like a rug merchant to get a decent price on a damn pair of tires. I don't want to play games.

I'm happy to support my local shop- if they don't jerk me around on the price, and offer personal, courteous service. I don't want to have to "know somebody" or "talk to the right guy" to buy anything- it demonstrates a lack of integrity.

Paul, maybe in the perfect world this is the way things would be....but face it, it's human nature (not the shop itself)...that when you know someone, things in general are different (not saying that's all places).

Way I look at it is....if I build personal relationships with people at places that I like to frequent, than I am going to be better off.

Unfortunately, not enough businesses take the time to educate their employees on customer service.

Unfortunately, not enough businesses take the time to educated their employees on customer service.

On this, we agree.

And if they did, I'd buy local more often. But if they're not offering anything different, I'll buy online and save myself the insult of dealing with someone who can't or won't offer service.

That's the difference- of a local shop offers service, a friendly attitude and earns my business, I'll go there, and bring others.

Funny thing is, my friend RWynant's son had worked at motorcycle shops for a few years....recently I guess he had enough of it, and now works for Brett at Metro Vacuum. Not only does Brett provide excellent customer service, but also provides great work environment for his employees.

Wish motorcycle shops could do the same.

I ran into this dilemna when my RV generator quit working. I diagnosed the problem and noticed a sticker on the genset for the last place that serviced it. I called them after doing my homework, I looked up the parts online so all they needed to do was punch in the numbers and give me a price.

Well, their price was almost double what the online price was (even with shipping) and I would have to drive out there in 3-4 days to pick up the parts anyway. The online place had them to my door in two days.

This seems to be the same way with almost any place I need to get parts from whether it's for motorcycles, cars, etc. I have to drive there, order the parts, wait for a call and then drive back to get them in a few days if they remember to call. Needless to say, I order most of my stuff online because I like the convenience. The lower price is a great side benefit.

Guest Crusty

I ran into this dilemna when my RV generator quit working. I diagnosed the problem and noticed a sticker on the genset for the last place that serviced it. I called them after doing my homework, I looked up the parts online so all they needed to do was punch in the numbers and give me a price.

Well, their price was almost double what the online price was (even with shipping) and I would have to drive out there in 3-4 days to pick up the parts anyway. The online place had them to my door in two days.

This seems to be the same way with almost any place I need to get parts from whether it's for motorcycles, cars, etc. I have to drive there, order the parts, wait for a call and then drive back to get them in a few days if they remember to call. Needless to say, I order most of my stuff online because I like the convenience. The lower price is a great side benefit.

Rocky mountain Rules. Cheaper faster, easy returns, excellent customer service, OEM parts, Huge inventory,

Better selection. Shop 24/7good.gif

I love these..drinks.gif

CorpLogo.png

Frequent Buyer Cash Reward<br style="line-height: 1.2em; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; ">Hello, Craig Hammon.

**********************************************************************************************

You now have $50.00 in Cash Rewards in your account, ready to spend!

**********************************************************************************************

It's easy to redeem your Cash Reward!

Rocky mountain Rules. Cheaper faster, easy returns, excellent customer service.

I love these..drinks.gif

CorpLogo.png

Frequent Buyer Cash Reward<br style="line-height: 1.2em; outline-style: none; outline-width: initial; outline-color: initial; ">Hello, Craig Hammon.

You now have $50.00 in Cash Rewards in your account, ready to spend!

It's easy to redeem your Cash Reward!

+1 for RMATVMC. great service great price. sorry I'm guilty of ordering online. no taxes too. my advice to local shops is if you can't beat the online retailers, join them.

What do we think about Cycle Gear? They have a couple of local shops and big internet site also. I buy stuff there that NCY doesn't carry in stock. If NCY

has stuff on the shelf then I tend to buy it from them. If I have to order something then I go online.

CiD

I've been happy with cycle gear for many things, but you have to be fussy. A LOT of their new merch is their house brand, which it sometimes a good value, other times cheapy.

I liked their HD rear tube- just like a Moose, but $10-15 cheaper. But their gloves are not so nice.

Guest Crusty

Oh well, so much for trying to help local businesses out.

With the money I save, I support the local bars and restaurants!! party.gif

quote name='KTMrad' timestamp='1354329787' post='138671']

I like having a local business, but if I have to wait for parts from them and pay more...where is the sense in that? In the example I made earlier about my RV generator, if the local place had parts I would have bought them.

Lemon Grove Cycle Supply always had fork seals, batteries, spark plugs, etc in the store and they knew my name and always treated me like family. I liked that place, but they are a bit of a drive for me now that they moved to Santee. None of the local MC places carry much for parts, but you can sure buy some nice Metal Mullisha T-shirts.

It's just not like it used to be years ago, overhead is expensive and it's hard for the local places to compete in the internet age.

Randy - your point is well taken and you did. If I have something vacuum related, I know where to start. If I'm not in a rush, I'll call a local place with a part number and see how it goes. I had great luck with Vey's in Lemon Grove. They were actually cheaper than BikeBandit and called me when the part came in. It's worth a short drive to support local. I do end up buying most stuff online due to convenience - and as Crusty said - support other local businesses.

I was taken at MW on some service a couple of years ago, tried to remedy the problem and got no reply. They will never see another one of my bikes and if I ever buy new again, they lost that too. They do have a reasonable stock of oils, tires, etc so I run in for the small stuff.

Ummm --- Am I missing something ???? What's wrong with Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino? Did they piss everyone off or ???? I realize they're not completely local but they are SoCal local (an hour drive north of Oceanside) and selection is second to none. Price is better than any I've found either internet or at their 300,000 square foot store off I-15. Yeah - 300,000 square feet of motorcycles and gear then another 50,000 square feet of tires attached. If you ever wanted to see that tire "up close and personal" before you laid out the cash (the cheapest I've found online or otherwise) this is the place to go look. As far as customer service - I've never experienced better. Extremely helpful, lots of sales associates that are clued into what they're selling. I've taken the drive up there just to roam around (for hours) and see ALL of the gear that's out on the market from clothes to the latest electronics, parts, helmets, boots, bags, doodads, etc. Not to mention KLR's, KTM's, and lots other bikes to googah over.

I try like hell to patronize local and buy my fair share at NCY (nice folks, good selection) and Escondido Cycle Center (also nice, less selection) but just can't beat Chaparral. It's nothing to do the drive when you see the selection.

Just my opinion - but I'm new to this here in SD

Don't get me wrong- I WANT to use a local business. I WILL pay more money. It is BETTER to patronize the local business.

But I need to be treated like a valued customer, and I need to be offered a value for the money I spend.

Don't get me wrong- I WANT to use a local business. I WILL pay more money. It is BETTER to patronize the local business.

But I need to be treated like a valued customer, and I need to be offered a value for the money I spend.

This is precisely why I could see myself opening up my own shop some day. I too enjoy walking into a local shop to browse the stock, see what's available, ask questions, and just shoot the s---. But frankly, I get treated better at the corporate stores than the locally owned brick and mortars. I won't name any places in particular, and hell it could just be that I come across as having a stick up my ass, but just about every time I walk in asking the parts guys to order something bike-specific I get a better-than-thou attitude that makes me want to take my business elsewhere.

I'm a student, I don't have a ton of money to blow on toys and experience-enhancers. But if a few extra dollars means supporting a local business and maybe having one more paid job (even if only for an hour), then I'd be willing to get in my car and drive 5 to 10 miles to order the parts, browse some local stock, and pick up the goods. However, this relationship requires that I be treated like the paying customer that I am. Give me the slightest bit of respect and don't act like I'm wasting your time by kindly asking you to do your job (even when I come into the store with part numbers handy). This sort of experience has occurred at just about every local shop that I've been to save one.

I always have much better experiences when I speak with the mechanics directly. Yes, I like to come in and pick their brains. I do all my work myself and it's helpful to have local techs willing to share some industry secrets. They'll usually take the time to help me understand something, rather than just sell me on some crap I don't really need. Maybe that's why the guys at Cycle Gear always seem a bit better to me, not because they know anything about motorcycles, but because most of them don't know much at all. They don't have the attitude of an experienced parts-guy and are therefore disinterested in arguing with me on how to properly measure valve clearances when all I want is for them to measure the shim I brought in and give me one that's .05mm thicker. I know how to use feeler gauges, I just do not own a micrometer you arrogant bastard.

So, to quote you again:

The point is, I don't just go to a local shop to support local business. I buy local because those extra dollars buy CUSTOMER SERVICE, something the big online retailers can hardly begin to understand. Customer service means providing a comfortable, informative, and satisfying experience. This is something the guys at cycle gear clearly understand based on how they've trained their staff, and from whom most local shop owners could stand to learn a few things, especially if they wish to see their businesses grow in the face of receding margins.

I've found South Bay Motorsports' online prices for OEM parts to be competitive with other online retailers. Since they're so close to me, I order online and choose in-store pickup. I have to pay sales tax because they're in California, but save money on shipping and as a bonus, I get my part quicker. Yeah, they're really good about calling you and sending you an email when your part arrives.

Their location in the South Bay is probably a little too far for most people on this board. But if Main Street and the 805 in Chula Vista is convenient for you, it's worth taking a look at them for OEM parts.