I need to go get some mountain dirt.

Gonna ride all the good stuff and filler in between.

I'd like to leave Thursday night and ride Friday and Saturday maybe Sunday morning or leave Saturday night.

I am willing to shift a day to fit your schedule.

2012-09-23125451.jpg

2012-05-21121102.jpg

2012-05-21131251.jpg

100_1239.jpg

You might get some snow up there this weekend, at least rain.

All the more reason to go ride.

30% chance on Friday.

I can alter my plans if need be. Not much work going on these days.

I'll get up there one of these days I hear the mountain bike riding is great there also ?

That is true.

What's the approximate elevation of the camping and bulk of the riding?

Awesome place to ride, best true singletrack trails around.

John, wanna fix my 640 for me so I can go ? :heh:

That's about the only area I'll ride my little bike.

640 is down, got a new carb for it that needs to be swapped, test ridden, jetted, etc. I'll get that done eventually :rolleyes:

Have a great time Jon...and start planning the Spring Ride up there...Vic and I were talking about it, and AzRich wants to check it out too

Dirt Dame

This time of year it is best to camp low. I'm thinking Keyesville will be the best choice. No cost camping, vault toilets, OHV friendly area with trails direct to the high country. Elevation is 2848'.

Riding will be from camp up to 6500-7500 feet. Mountain summits are around 9,000' but just a few with trails/roads to the top.

:mellow: ummm were you talking to this Jon?

..and start planning the Spring Ride up there...

Spring time ride is already planned. I'm just waiting for you to give me the dates.

I'm trying to talk Julie into coming with me. She is off Monday so if she if she joins in we will be leaving Saturday morning and returning Monday afternoon.

I'm also watching the weather. If it rains on Friday the weekend should be stellar with the possibility of epic.

B)

I found this map for the Keyesville area.

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/ca/pdf/bakersfield/Recreation.Par.98675.File.dat/keyesville_brochure_map.pdf

I don't have anything other than USGS quadrangles and my Delorme Roads and Trails book for the Greenhorns and Piutes. I know the Greenhorns well enough to keep us busy for a few days and I do have some old tracks and knowledge of the Piutes, but mostly I like to explore and ride around in the trees.

:mellow: ummm were you talking to this Jon?

Ummmm....woops, spelling Foul.......Jon !

No worries Randy. Either way you spell it you'll have to find another John to fix your bike.

FYI Julie will be on a Green sticker TTR and I'll be taking the Red sticker YZF.

No worries Randy. Either way you spell it you'll have to find another John to fix your bike.

I am deeply hurt. :unsure:

Dirt Dame

This time of year it is best to camp low. I'm thinking Keyesville will be the best choice. No cost camping, vault toilets, OHV friendly area with trails direct to the high country. Elevation is 2848'.

Riding will be from camp up to 6500-7500 feet. Mountain summits are around 9,000' but just a few with trails/roads to the top.

Sounds like a good plan. Free camping is my favorite. :party:

I am deeply hurt. :unsure:

Don't take it personally, I've got three bikes and three cars to keep running.

After I finish this painting project I may have some spare time to work on random bikes.

Don't take it personally, I've got three bikes and three cars to keep running.

After I finish this painting project I may have some spare time to work on random bikes.

Jon, I know you're being sarcastic....I wouldn't ask anyone to work on my bike for me :ph34r:

Pasta, We are gonna be up there visiting a friend. We are driving up Sat morning. Not sure of the game plan yet but lets try to hook up Sunday for at least one ride. The weather looks like it might be a bit cold.

Awesome single track in that area. was up there about a month ago. I stayed at the Lake Isabella KOA. Nice place, they are very off road friendly. They even have a little bar on site.

Pasta, We are gonna be up there visiting a friend. We are driving up Sat morning. Not sure of the game plan yet but lets try to hook up Sunday for at least one ride. The weather looks like it might be a bit cold.

That'll be great! I'll look forward to it.

I'm watching the weather too. I'd hate to say it but might we might have to reschedule. That 20 degree temp drop they are forecasting with the two cold fronts moving through is unnerving. I'm going to watch the forecast highs and compare to the actual high temps for today and tomorrow.

Julie just won't like the cold but I think once we're out working the single track we'll be just fine. :coolio: Well she still may not be. I'll have to convince her to wear her skiing gear.

Was thinking of this trip, but would rather wait until the aftermath of the storm weather.

Issued by The National Weather Service

Hanford, CA

... A DRAMATIC CHANGE TO COLDER WEATHER ON THE WAY...

A COLD FRONT WILL HERALD THE ARRIVAL OF A MUCH COOLER AIRMASS WHEN IT MOVES SOUTHWARD ACROSS THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA INTERIOR TODAY. AFTERNOON TEMPERATURES IN MANY LOCATIONS TODAY WILL BE A GOOD 10 TO 20 DEGREES LOWER THAN WEDNESDAY. OTHER THAN A FEW SHOWERS AROUND YOSEMITE... THE FRONTAL PASSAGE WILL BRING NO MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION TO THE REGION. ADDITIONALLY... GUSTY WINDS IN THE WAKE OF THIS FRONT WILL PRODUCE AREAS OF BLOWING DUST IN THE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY... PARTICULARLY ON THE WEST SIDE... AND IN THE KERN COUNTY MOUNTAINS AND DESERT.

A SECONDARY COLD FRONT WILL MOVE SOUTHWARD ACROSS THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA INTERIOR LATER TONIGHT ACCOMPANIED BY SHOWERS OVER THE MOUNTAINS AND A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN MUCH OF THE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY. WET WEATHER IS LIKELY IN THE WAKE OF THIS SECOND COLD FRONT FRIDAY WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF WINTRY TRAVEL OVER THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. SNOW LEVELS WILL LOWER TO 2500 FEET IN THE SIERRA FOOTHILLS AND 3500 FEET IN THE KERN COUNTY MOUNTAINS BY LATE FRIDAY. A LIGHT DUSTING OF SNOW IS POSSIBLE OVER THE GRAPEVINE BY EARLY FRIDAY EVENING WITH LOCAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF AN INCH OR TWO OVER THE HIGHER FOOTHILLS. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES ARE LIKELY IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS OF THE SIERRA BY FRIDAY NIGHT... ESPECIALLY NORTH OF KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARK. ADDITIONALLY... WINDS MAY GUST UP TO 45 MPH THROUGH AND JUST BELOW THE KERN COUNTY MOUNTAIN PASSES TONIGHT AND FRIDAY.

TEMPERATURES FRIDAY WILL BE NO WARMER THAN THE 40S IN THE SIERRA FOOTHILLS AND NO WARMER THAN THE 50S IN THE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY WHERE SKIES REMAIN OVERCAST. A DRY AND UNSEASONABLY COLD AIRMASS WILL MOVE INTO THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA INTERIOR THIS WEEKEND. THERE IS A CHANCE OF FROST IN THE COLDEST LOCATIONS OF THE SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY EARLY SUNDAY MORNING AND MONDAY MORNING WITH BELOW FREEZING TEMPERATURES IN THE KERN COUNTY DESERT.

IF YOU HAVE FROST SENSITIVE INTERESTS... YOU SHOULD MONITOR THE LATEST TEMPERATURE FORECASTS FOR THE WEEKEND. MONITOR THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WEBSITE...

No measurable moisture south of Yosemite. but WINDY. We'll be fine on the trails but camping when it's really windy is miserable.

Mimi, As of right now my schedule is pretty open for next week.

Big changes in the forecast from this morning to now.

For this weekend they are now forecasting Kernville daytime highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s. Also upped the precip percentage to 40%. With the temps and winds I think this weekend is out.

Looking on to next week.