stroked 550

DRZ head shake

hey guys

I just had a new set of Dunlop 606s installed & balanced on my 2005 DRZ. Now I have a head shake at anything over 60 mph.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks

On or off road?

Is the wheel strsight in the triple clamps?

I've been told it typically takes 500 or so miles for a new tire to break in. I just mounted a freash Scorpion on my DRZ and I was really squirely at first.

it happens on road

yeah the wheel is straight.

Maybe I need to get some more mileage on them then, however last time I got new tires on it I did not have this problem.

Im not certain if its a sealant or something the manufacturers do to keep tires fresh while on the shelf but Ive heard that it can take a while to break in new rubber. They have to heat up to perform or something.

What psi are you running? Have you used 606s before?

I know the rear 606 is a stiff compound with tall lugs.

2 weeks ago my new tire sketched me out, now after two rides it feels fine. I hope that becomes the case for you too.

Since you didn't change anything else on your bike, I'll not suggest things like stearing head bearings, tire alignment, etc and focus on the 606s

They're are a bit squirrely on the road when new; the manufacturers have a "release" agent to get the tires out of the mold...they will be squirrely. That being said; I always found the 606 to be squirrely. I think they are better suited to heavier bikes than the DRZ

Now- "squirrely" is different than head shake, but maybe means the same to you...is it a violent shake that gets worse or just a general vague feeling that maxes out at 60?

Also- consider trying different pressures

I dont remember offhand, I have to check the tire psi.

I have used 606s before & I did have a shake with them but it started at a much higher speed.

I would call it a violent shake that gets worse as you go faster.

that would be nice if it goes away with a little more wear on them.

Since you didn't change anything else on your bike, I'll not suggest things like stearing head bearings, tire alignment, etc and focus on the 606s

They're are a bit squirrely on the road when new; the manufacturers have a "release" agent to get the tires out of the mold...they will be squirrely. That being said; I always found the 606 to be squirrely. I think they are better suited to heavier bikes than the DRZ

Now- "squirrely" is different than head shake, but maybe means the same to you...is it a violent shake that gets worse or just a general vague feeling that maxes out at 60?

Also- consider trying different pressures

Have to agree with Bikeslut on this one. I have tried 606's on my Honda Xl's with poor results. They are really too stiff for lighter bikes. They are fine for bigger heavier bikes. Try something that suits your weight and the bike's weight. Tires vary enormosly from model to model. Sounds like you need a softer tire.

Now I have a head shake at anything over 60 mph.

Smaller helmet maybe?

Stroked- don't encourage him; it'll just get worse

Ok- you are describing head shake- while new tires may contribute, they are not the only cause- my DRZ 2005 is rock solid as fast as I am willing to ride it.

Freeway grooving is great for cars in the wet, but wreaks havoc with knobbies on the street.

Check to see if tires are properly inflated

Check for slop or binding in the steering head

Double check the balance of each tire

Check tire alignment with the frame, within the forks and in relation to each other

Double check to make sure the bead is set uniformly

Am I missing anything?

Yes, wait till the front wears a little and you get that harmonic helmet rattling bddddttt bddddt bddddt, drove me nuts.

Stay off the freeway, they won't shake in the dirt at 60.

Well- he just bought new tires and lives in Encinitas- if he wants to Dual Sport (as he obviously does- hence the choice of 606s). So start with the list above (except the helmet one) and see if it improves with some miles on the tires.

I never suggest 606s for a dual sport tire and really discourage the 606 for a front tire on the DRZ. Look at the scorpions for front and the MT43 for rear tires- I got about 1500 miles from my MT43 rear- a mix of dirt, rocks, street and sand

I never suggest 606s for a dual sport tire and really discourage the 606 for a front tire on the DRZ. Look at the scorpions for front and the MT43 for rear tires- I got about 1500 miles from my MT43 rear- a mix of dirt, rocks, street and sand

Oh no not another tire thread!

3ogllk.jpg

that being said, Scorpion Front and MT21 rear for a dirt focused DRZ!

One heat cycle with hard riding and braking (Freeway stuff), and the "squirrely tire" syndrome will go away after a heat cycle. The tire manufacturers have pretty much dealt with that issue, and the days of thoroughly "scrubbing" are pretty much over.

I have the same experience as other with the 606 up front on the DRZ. Street and dirt - It sucked ass. I have heard it's better on bigger bikes. I don't have a bigger dual sport bike so I have no opinion. .

Pirelli MXMH up front and 606 out in back do me well on the street and the trail riding I do.

thanks guys for all of your input I really appreciate it.

However now I have a bigger problem the other day I go to ride the bike & I see the rear tire is completely flat.

Since this is my only mode of transportation I rode it to the gas station across the street & filled it up with air but by the time I got out to the street the tire was flat again.

After I filled it up with air I did not hear any air leaking.

I also looked for any type of tire damage or holes & I didn't see any.

This tire is brand new I had it put on about a month ago.

do you think the dealer will fix the issue at no cost?

thanks guys for all of your input I really appreciate it.

However now I have a bigger problem the other day I go to ride the bike & I see the rear tire is completely flat.

Since this is my only mode of transportation I rode it to the gas station across the street & filled it up with air but by the time I got out to the street the tire was flat again.

After I filled it up with air I did not hear any air leaking.

I also looked for any type of tire damage or holes & I didn't see any.

This tire is brand new I had it put on about a month ago.

do you think the dealer will fix the issue at no cost?

no...they won't

a new tube is $10 or so

Do a search on line and learn how to fix it... normally I would offer to help, but am leaving town in a few days....

you may have a pulled stem, or a snakebite for it to go flat that fast

what part of town are you in?

you may have a pulled stem, or a snakebite for it to go flat that fast

what part of town are you in?

Unfortunately I dont have any other vehicle or tools since they are in my truck which is 150 miles away getting repaired :(

Im in Carmel Valley any help would be greatly appreciated

front or rear tube?

robert.a.conrad@seaworld.com is my email... you can't accept private messages right now for some reason... I may have the stuff in my truck

i can help but not until later today or tomorrow morning. i'll PM you my contact info.