Sign in to follow this  
KTMrad

Moose Foam Inserts to Replace Tubes ?

Got a call from Paul at GP for advice....a guy with a KTM 990 is going on about a 2000 mile trip and wants to use the Moose Foam Inserts to replace tubes, he doesn't know how to change tubes or repair flats.

I advised against the idea on a big, heavy ADV bike. Won't be good on the pavement, and also the weight of the bike probably won't be good, since there really is not much air in the tire with those foam inserts.

Anyone else know someone who has used them on a big bike, or has any experience with them at all ?

Advice or input appreciated.

There is no way that the foam would hold up on the street for 2000 miles. He would be much better off trying to go with some kind of tubeless set up then carry plugs.

CiD

Did some quick research...as I figured, the guys on ADVrider don't recommend them on the bigger bikes...and also said they tend to disintegrate if used a lot over 50mph.

....he doesn't know how to change tubes or repair flats......Advice or input appreciated.

The 990 has a center stand right?

He could always man up, get some tools, carry a small compressor, and learn how to change a tube/flat.......I know, crazy right? :heh:

He could always man up, get some tools, carry a small compressor, and learn how to change a tube/flat.......I know, crazy right? :heh:

That's what I said, he needs to learn how to fix a flat, change tubes...what's he going to do if he's in the middle of nowhere and gets a flat, or if he uses those foam inserts and they fail ?

On ADVrider, they said they didn't work well on an XR650L due to the weight and it failed in the rear tire.

Pretty much those are best used for off road in the lighter bikes.

They break down pretty fast when used on pavement for an extended period of time, the heavier the bike the faster they break down.

For his application they would utterly fail.

Like other said either go tubeless or better yet learn to change a tube.

Michelin Bib Mousse (foam in French), world enduro comp /xc comp good , some of us here use them with success, been used in Baja mostly on front by those guys and used in FIM world rally raid, but those guys have factory tire support.

Heavy bike high speeds are beyond the engineering spec of the mousses, they have highway speed warings on the package.

Dai Jones and I use them as designed, he in his KTMs and me in my Husky, they are great. They are not engineered for long mile high speed use (except maybe special builds for the factory sponsored rally guys). Frictional heat destroys them. Daves solution to early wear out works well, remove and relube them every couple of months, the six month factory written life cycle can be extended to almost a year with good care (lube).

tech info from motorace

http://www.motorace.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MTBM

Thanks for the input and Robert for the spec page.

Called GP, and the guy has been talked out of using them on a big ADV bike, even though he will be doing a bunch of dirt, it's still not recommended on the big bikes.

going on an adventure for 2000 miles and doesn't know how to change a tube. give me a break!

going on an adventure for 2000 miles and doesn't know how to change a tube. give me a break!

If he goes he'll probably know how by the time he gets back.

CiD

If he goes he'll probably know how by the time he gets back.

CiD

That's a possibility...but I've been on many 2000 - 6000 mile trips on my 950 with no flats whatsoever. Guess I'm lucky....now where's some wood to knock on :blink:

Sometimes the best way to learn is out on the trail. Survival of the fittest.

It could make it an epic adventure, plus sometimes you don't want to be sitting on the side of the road for an hour with the wheel off where you can be very vunerable if alone at least.

As Rob said speed, temperature and weight all accelerate the breakdown of a mousse, and rear more than front plus power in that case also. I probably got around 200hrs/3500 miles out of my first set riding corral and mccain on my 530 with 17mph average speed and that was going thru a few tires. One of the issues with mousses for DS is they are set for true off road race conditions as a primary market so nominal pressure is around 12psi, a bit more to start but settles after say 10hrs in that area where they stay for quite while (depending on how often lubed) then gradually reduce then finally quicky disintegrate so not great on street anytime. A work around to increase effective starting pressure plus reduce friction and extend life is to wrap an old punctured HD tube around the mousse before putting it on, I've done this just to get an extra few months out of a mousse and it works good, just split the tube down inside center and wrap around the mousse then duct tape to hold in place and mount in tire with more lube, will be tighter but will last longer and would be fine for front in this case I think. For rear less effective, if I couldn't risk any significant stop and wasn't able to change a tube (and remember a flat tube can quickly destroy a tire) I would run 2 UHD tubes both partially inflated (not so easy to install but OK) along with slime in each then if it starts to get squirmy for a tear in 1 tube you just inflate the other to compensate and from them on ride more careful as tire is probably bad also.

Kugs buddy Matt has had his 4th flat on their 2 week trip.

He must be getting good at tire changes.

Add on, use good Rally/DOT tires good quality HD or UHD tubes like Michelin Air Stop tubes with slime or ride-on balancing/sealer inside. And flats will be a thing of the past (99%).

UHD Michelin air stop tubes are heavy and expensive yes, but for an example of how good they are. We were in the boonies of Tecate Mex on my KTM250 (a while ago) I slammed an embedded rock that put a Vee in my front rim displacing the tire bead from the rim. The UHD tube was blistered out from under the bead in the Vee from the rim with NO FLAT.

We did the zip tie wrap thing with some tape and I finished the ride with no issue. The rim was repaired under the phydro press later in the week after getting home.