Sign in to follow this  
Goofy Footer

Race / Track Bike... Opinions Please

I've been tooling with the idea of trying a few races and am weighing my options. I also need to thin the herd and narrow down my bikes to 2 personal bikes or 3 max (possibly including a gf/buddy bike). While I realize no bike will be a "do all" type bike, I'm interested in a machine that can be fun at a mx track, can participate in enduro events and fare okay at the occasional desert race. My budget after moving bikes around/selling some existing bikes would be 1,500 to 2,000 max. More money left over means larger tank, stabilizer mount etc etc. I'm not certain how long I'd keep the bike, if I'm looking for a bike to ride for a year and flip it or if I'm looking to invest in a bike that I'll keep for a while. I'm just looking to have fun, a reason to focus my exercise workouts and Not to bankrupt me nor hurt myself. Race event options include D38, D37, vintage, possible enduro stuff, open desert, GPs etc. I'm just looking for a fun bike that I can improve my skills and flog for a season without breaking down.

Currently I have a 00 DRZ400E and it has served me well. While its a bit heavy for me in single track (which I'm not that great at anyways) and its not the most fun at the track, I've taken it to both Corral and Pala and had fun. My 04 CR125 is still on the original top end and front tire, its a great handling bike but these models specifically of the CR have an anemic motor even by 125cc standards. I have taken it to Pala, rode around Superstition and McCain.

125cc options:

I weight in at around 155lbs so a 125cc bike can still move me well on the track but doesn't have quite the bottom end I'd like to enduro stuff and I'd probably have to gear it to the moon for desert. 125s are still the most expensive option to get into racing and to keep racing (ie maintenance). A 05 and up YZ125 seems like a good combination of motor and suspension for the class. The KTM125sx has the best motor but its suspension isn't up to the Yamaha's.

150 and 200cc

A KTM150 looks like an awesome bike but they are too expensive. I've seen various 125s which have aftermarket cylinders (134, 144, 167cc etc). To many people this seems to be the ticket to fun. I rode a KTM200exc down the block once and was surprised by its bottom end.

A KTM200mxc could be the fun ticket but they are rare. A KDX might be a fun option for enduros and possibly desert but I worry about its suspension on the track.

250cc

The CRF250x and comparable yamaha's are quite a bit more expensive than their two stroke counterparts. Most 250 two stroke bikes seem geared to moto/supercross and have quite a hit when the powerband rolls on. A heavy flywheel could help alleviate this? I feel that many used 2 strokes have been clapped out at the dunes.

300cc

I think a KTM 300 is a very versatile bike by most people's standards. I'm not sure I want that much power at the MX track though.

450cc

These big four strokes would be awesome for desert racing but I don't really feel ready to ride one at the track. My friends who have them for track use are actually thinking of downsizing to lessen their fatigue, change of injury, etc. Most CRF450x and the like bikes are too expensive.

"Do all" street legal bike

An option I only just started considering was selling all the bikes and getting a decent used high performance dual sport like KTM/Husky. Not sure how much MXing and thrashing I'd want to do on my "go to" dualsport bike but its a thought. Less bikes = less maintenance stress? Not sure...

I'm looking for your thoughts and opinions. I'm currently only weighing my options. I could just ride the piss out of the CR and DRZ and call it a day. In a perfect world, I'd have a model of every bike in my garage and a hot chick mechanic to fix them for me. Since I don't... the quest for the next bike continues.

btw I posted this thread because I didn't want to hijack atcrick's thread about desert racing. Spaugh posted this in the other thread and I figured it might spark interesting conversation here.

Any advice on what class and bike to run? I'm loosely thinking a 05 and up YZ-125. A KTM 200 mxc looks like it would be sweet. (I hope I'm not hijacking this thread)

if you are under 30, you can run 125cc, 250cc, or open(251cc+) classes. 30+ and you can use any size bike and ride in your age class.

125s are a little brutal to ride in the sand dunes IMO but it can be done if you keep your momentum and keep it in the power band. a 250 2T or 4T or 200 2T is probably easier to ride for non experts. I always got way better starts on a 2T (dead engine) but it always sucked going 75MPH+ on a 2T.

My son's CRF250X seems to cover a lot of bases. After a bit of coaching, he was easily clearing doubles and a 50 foot table top at the track. It does good in the desert, a bit underpowered for me in the sand but I'm 50 pounds heavier than he is and 30 more than you. I've taken it to Corral Canyon and it's easier than most of my bikes.

Negatives - Notoriously bad head design, we had to change out valves before we had to change the front tire. Not street legal.

You can find them for $2k if you look.

I like my 220 KDX. I have Racetech valving, so the bike is plush. True, it's not set up for track, but works great in rocky technical sections and natural terrain. It could be set up to perform better on a track, but I don't care about track riding.

The KTM 300 would be a fun bike anywhere. The powerband on them is fairly smooth, so once you became familiar with it, you probably wouldn't have much problem with it on a track. I ride a Husqvarna WR300, a bike that is across the board more brutal than the KTM, and it's still lots of fun anywhere I ride it, including the rare track date.

Motocross bikes won't be nearly as nice for trail riding and cross country as the enduro bikes will be, so you will have to decide which is the most important to you.

There are some KTM 200s for sale on SD craigslist. Can anybody share their personal experiences? How does the EXC gearing and suspension rare versus the SX in the real world?

2002 KTM 200 EXC $1950 obo

http://sandiego.crai...3163044102.html

post-14322-029145300 1343335449_thumb.jp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 KTM 200 SX $2200

http://sandiego.crai...3157833555.html

post-14322-047117500 1343335450_thumb.jp

You know I have a plated Wr450. If you want to borrow it for some track time let me know.

You know I have a plated Wr450. If you want to borrow it for some track time let me know.

I do want to connect with you and P1 for a track day. I've been out of town the last two times you went. Tell her I like her pictures.

I like my 220 KDX. I have Racetech valving, so the bike is plush. True, it's not set up for track, but works great in rocky technical sections and natural terrain. It could be set up to perform better on a track, but I don't care about track riding.

The KTM 300 would be a fun bike anywhere. The powerband on them is fairly smooth, so once you became familiar with it, you probably wouldn't have much problem with it on a track. I ride a Husqvarna WR300, a bike that is across the board more brutal than the KTM, and it's still lots of fun anywhere I ride it, including the rare track date.

Motocross bikes won't be nearly as nice for trail riding and cross country as the enduro bikes will be, so you will have to decide which is the most important to you.

I haven't totally ruled out the KDX option. From your experience how much can the KDX suspension be tuned to handle vet track MX and GP racing?

I'm not saying I'm Justin Barcia, more the opposite, I need decent MX valving to handle me coming up short on jumps! I've seen plated KDXs before which is awesome but I just question how aggressively they can be ridden vs the KTM.

I haven't totally ruled out the KDX option. From your experience how much can the KDX suspension be tuned to handle vet track MX and GP racing?

I'm not saying I'm Justin Barcia, more the opposite, I need decent MX valving to handle me coming up short on jumps! I've seen plated KDXs before which is awesome but I just question how aggressively they can be ridden vs the KTM.

Once you find one that has a Racetech Gold Valve kit already installed, you can get the bike firmed up pretty well. The stock forks would work okay on the track with heavier springs. It's on the trail where the Racetech valving really shines.

goofy, my advice is to decide what kind of riding\racing you want to do for a season or two and get a bike that fits the bill.

a bike that is good for enduro, track, desert, etc etc doesn't really exist. to get them good for enduro riding, its not going to work for MX, and vice versa.

a bike that is good for enduro, track, desert, etc etc doesn't really exist. to get them good for enduro riding, its not going to work for MX, and vice versa.

Without sounding confrontational or putting words into Goofy's mouth I think he wants a solid all around bike. We all know that there is no no such thing as a perfect all around bike. However I have learned that buying Green or Red sticker bikes and working within the laws to get them plated tend to be what makes me happy. Suspension is difficult, but since I use the track as a means to work on skills and not a place to go fast a good suspension setup is possible also.

True no bike will do everything perfect. I rode my CR125 on track, trail and desert and beyond a lack of power for the open desert and bottom end for the trail I was happy with it. I'm not an expert and any of those 3 disciplines, I am just looking for the best bike I can get that fits my price range. Upon more reading, the 200SX may be limited on raw top end speed for desert due to a shorter 6th gear (I'd like to know how short it feels and how much slower vs. the EXC). The EXC has the better transmission for trail and taller 6th for open desert but is a bit gappy for track use. The SX will have more hit than the EXC but both should have the adjustable PowerValve so I will be able to adjust the hit to my liking. An MXC would be a good fit between the EXC and SX but those are quite hard to find.

That EXC looks to be set up well. Being that I'm on a budget and looking used my options to shop are limited to what randomly becomes available on CL. I'm pretty set on the 150cc or 200cc 2stroke engine size and ideally green sticker. Realistically it comes down to a compromise. I'll probably end purchasing the cleanest/best set up bike I can find from the models I'm considering.

yes the MXC would be a better choice for track + offroad. the EXC will do everything better except track work because of the gappy transmission like you said.

I have an XC (MXC) bike and honestly once its setup for enduro (read technical) riding, it sucks on the track. It will break your wrists if you overshoot a jump. And if its setup to handle the track, it will bounce you all over in the rocks. I've learned how to revalve the suspension in the last year or so, its actually not very difficult to do except for the PDS thing. You can't properly bleed a PDS shock without a vacuum bleeder. A single piston linkage shock is not a problem to do yourself in the garage.

For track, I'd stick with a japanese bike that is made for it. For offroad, that 200 EXC would be pretty hard to beat.

post-14322-009625900 1343342622_thumb.jp

Brad, nice find! Thank you for posting that. I have been searching OC and Inland Empire but not LA. If I'm not mistaken in 2003 KTM did a slight redesign. My only issue with an 03 is red sticker, Corral is the closest place to ride for me (I live in PB) and its only open 2 months for Red Sticker season. Depending on whether that Rekluse had the manual override I might consider selling it. The engine cases look worn and I'm sure its been used but if he maintained it, its hard to beat at that price IMO. $650 less than the EXC does matter to me. The bike is located at a lake town in the mountains outside Lancaster. With the auto clutch I'll assume it was ridden in the trails and mountains.

I spoke with the owner of the EXC. Really nice and knowledgeable woman who has owned the bike since 06 and bought it from the original owner. Shes taken care of the bike, it comes with Scotts stabilizer mount kit, skid plate, full exhaust, steahly flywheel weight, fat bars and the big clear tank. Gets around 70 miles on the tank. She mainly rode the bike in the Mojave desert. The EXC is registered in Nevada, it should transfer to CA as green sticker correct?

The plot thickens.

they won't transfer to CA and give you a green sticker.

honestly the EXC *looks* like its in better condition. Its safe to assume all of them need at least a new top end (200$) and probably a new crank and main bearings at that age.

Corral is the closest place to ride for me (I live in PB) and its only open 2 months for Red Sticker season.

its open from october 1st to april 30th.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/1234/files/2007%20CARB%20Revised%20Riding%20Seasons.pdf

Corral Canyon Oct 1 - Apr 30

Lark Canyon Oct 1 - Apr 30

Much more than two months of riding time.

For me, for you, I'd be more concerned with the transmission than suspension. In comparison, the suspension can easily be fixed for a type of riding. The transmission will be more difficult and costly to modify.

For desert, the close ratio can be crutched with sprockets but than how will it work if you are in a tight, rocky canyon somewhere. In comparison the wider box may be a bit gappy on the track but will still be very usable for a novice rider and may force you to pay attention to what gear you are in to get the best launch out of the corners.

I'm torn now between two different bikes, one a moto and the other an enduro. My problem is that I don't plan to use either on a moto track more than once a year. So it should be an easy choice but the moto bike has been very successful in offroad competitions.

I'm torn now between two different bikes, one a moto and the other an enduro. My problem is that I don't plan to use either on a moto track more than once a year. So it should be an easy choice but the moto bike has been very successful in offroad competitions.

ooh ahh please share what bikes you are daydreaming about! (sorry i'm bored).

Q:

A:What is a Red Sticker?

red-sticker.pngA Red Sticker is similar to the Green Sticker except that vehicles with Red Stickers are restricted to riding seasons regulated the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The Red Sticker is required only for motorcycles and ATVs model year 2003 and newer that are certified by the manufacturer as not meeting the exhaust emission standards established by CARB. If the vehicle has a 3 or a C in th eighth digit of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), it is non-compliant with CARB exhaust emission standards and is issued a Red Sticker by DMV. Non-compliant OHVs cannot be modified to meet the exhaust emissions standard because the regulation is enforced at the manufacturer level, not the consumer level. (6)

Cleveland National Forest

Descanso Ranger District

Corral Canyon 1-Oct - 30-Apr

KX450F

or

TM EN450

KX450F

or

TM EN450

nice taste but i like the TM 2T better.

Ken, I noticed that guy has dropped his price for the second time. Thanks for posting it.

I spoke with the 200 MXC owner: it was used as a hard enduro race bike. Racetech suspension set for 175lbs. He rebuilt the bottom end 50 hrs ago when he threw a bearing. Top end wash still fresh then. Has a 19" rear wheel and will come with stock clutch set up and gpr mount. He seems like an honest guy and has 9 bikes.