Hey guys, im pretty new to bikes and working on them and ran into a bit of a problem. I have a dr350 with e start, i have been riding it daily for a few months without issue. This morning i go out to head to work and i push the magic button and nothing happens at all, no turning over or anything. The lights turn on and everything, just no power at the e start, any ideas? I changed the spark plug, but thats all i really know how to do. Thanks for your help!

Do you have a blown fuse? I didn't realize my bike had one or where it was until the first time it acted like yours.

inline fuse blown on starter relay. usually around battery area

*note a blown fuse possibly means other electrical problems possibly bare wires or a short somewhere leading to the blown fuse.

Also check the kill switch to ensure it's in the run position. Eliminate the simple things first.

Yeah i went through my normal starting sequence several times, then checked the kickstand switch, its def not something that simple, but the fuse is a definite possibility, ill have to find it tomorrow morning i suppose, i opened up the headlight cowl and found some pretty bad wiring, there are several things unplugged and ziptied away, im not sure what they are for, something previous owner must have done.

Sometimes Batteries just let go . Short out internally !

lights work- battery might be the issue but probably not

clutch bypass, sidestand by-pass, and neutral- My opinion is to disable all those things

check where wires run under the seat and tank- that's where shorts tend to happen, or anywhere they are next to the frame or heat source

fuse is probably under the seat right next to the battery- if not right next to, maybe down-wind a little too.

if you still think it may be the battery, jump it from a "non-running" car or truck

starter works?

good luck

Well I changed the fuse, and took the battery to motoworld for a check, they said it was completely dead so I thought I found the problem, hooked up a freshly charged new batt and still nothing...I hate this haha

Maybe your starter push button is not making contact. Try using a screwdriver to jump the starter relay.

New battery in with clean connections? Most bikes have wires not connected like yours unless you shook something loose - look elsewhere.. Have you done ANYTHING to the bike? Washed it etc...?

Find the starter solenoid near battery. Should be a big red and black wire going to a small black box about 3x3 inches. You can jump across those wires and it should at least crank over. There should also be a fuse attached to the solenoid to check.

If it cranks but doesn't start with the key on by crossing these wires you have an issue with either the key switch, kickstand or clutch safety switch or relay switch.... Or shorted wire or dead fuse somewhere.

Where is the bike located?

Somewhere near the battery is your starter solenoid. It should look something like this, first picture I found on google so it's not going to be exact.

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/cnxinxinyuan/product-detailyeBnbXTlHEHa/China-Motorcycle-Starter-Relay-DQ-J012-.html

Anyway, the battery lead from the positive side goes into the relay, and goes from the other lead to the starter. What you need to do is use a screwdriver, or maybe a pliers, and connect the two large bolts sticking out of it. It may spark a bit, but it's not going to explode or catch on fire. If you have the key on, this should turn over your starter if you have power and your starter is still working.

Hey, if you need a hand just give me a call.

(619)807-0948

Tom

new battery in with crappy connections haha, the old battery was connected via screws but this new battery just has threadless holes, so i need to find a better way of hooking it up i guess. Im heading to motoworld in 30 mins to see if i can dig anything up since they are right down the street. Once i hook the battery up better i will try shorting out the contacts on the starter relay. I havent done anytghing to the bike, about a week ago i put in a new headlight bulb, but it worked after that. I live off mollison avenue in El cajon

the new battery should have come with a little package with nuts that fit into the battery terminals and screws to go through into nuts

Can you kick or bump start the bike?? Will it run at all that way?? If so then you can narrow the problem down.

Okay so i shorted out the two bolts on the starter relay and it fired right up, so that means the problem is the start push button or the wiring for the start push button correct? What should the next step be?

Can you measure voltage across the two smaller wires on the relay ??? There should be 12 volts across those two wires when you press the start button. If not there is a short in the button or wires to and from button. If you are getting 12 volts across those wires you have a bad starter relay.

If you have a bad relay make sure you disconnect the battery terminals before trying to change it out.

Just carry a screwdriver with you everywhere you go, problem solved.

Well i checked for voltage across the two small leads on the starter relay, no voltage when pushing the start button, im gonna take a break from trouble shooting for today, my ship pulls out for the week tomorrow, theres a case of beer in it for anyone who wants to help me resolve this problem next weekend =)

Oh...I work for beer!

If I wanted to just wire in a new pushbutton straight to the starter relay would that bypass the ignition switch and engine run switch?

If I wanted to just wire in a new pushbutton straight to the starter relay would that bypass the ignition switch and engine run switch?

possibly , along with all the other safety switches i would imagine like the kickstand switch etc...............