Leoffensive

hey guys im back.

been away for some time now. i had some stuff happen lately. long story short my truck was broken into and my insurance totaled the truck. i now have a more fuel efficient truck but have payments now. i still really want a motorcycle. i dont wanna go the street legal route since i dont want more payments with insurance and what not. so now i just wanna see about getting a light weight off road only bike. anyone got any for sale or have any leads on some good canidate bikes for sale in the area? id prefer not to have to put money in them to run.

First off- sorry about your truck...

Second off- dual sport insurance is next to nothing and the gas savings will pay for the bike payments and insurance

Third- dirtbikes cost money too...still need theft insurance; not covered by homeowners...still need gas oil and parts...

Look at the XT225 listed here as an intro bike

First off- sorry about your truck...

Second off- dual sport insurance is next to nothing and the gas savings will pay for the bike payments and insurance

Third- dirtbikes cost money too...still need theft insurance; not covered by homeowners...still need gas oil and parts...

Look at the XT225 listed here as an intro bike

even if im looking for more of a throw it into the back of truck and hit the desert bike thats more offroad oriented?

No...the only bikes "I" would consider for commuting and as a weekend rider is the DRZ, the WRR and the XRL...I'm sure the Orange guys would have some suggestions too.

Maybe the Husky 630 also

But "I" don't mind compromising...

If you just want a bike for the desert, I can't really offer much advice. Even "desert" is a question: dunes, hardpack, sandy washes, rocky trails...if you're looking for a dune bike, get a quad. Or a 250 smoker with a paddle.

For Ocotillo Wells and Plaster City dual sports on the dirty side work ok for me

For a track bike that can also ride in the desert, I would look at 250Fs...

Good luck in your search

No...the only bikes "I" would consider for commuting and as a weekend rider is the DRZ, the WRR and the XRL...I'm sure the Orange guys would have some suggestions too.

Maybe the Husky 630 also

But "I" don't mind compromising...

If you just want a bike for the desert, I can't really offer much advice. Even "desert" is a question: dunes, hardpack, sandy washes, rocky trails...if you're looking for a dune bike, get a quad. Or a 250 smoker with a paddle.

For Ocotillo Wells and Plaster City dual sports on the dirty side work ok for me

For a track bike that can also ride in the desert, I would look at 250Fs...

Good luck in your search

dual sport or the dirty side? please educate me further sir

Mid sized Husky, or KTM

That's what I consider a "dirty" dual sport- Husky TE310,510...Orange 525/530 (I'm sure KTM fans can steer you right)...maybe a plated WRF or XRR

Mid sized Husky, or KTM

That's what I consider a "dirty" dual sport- Husky TE310,510...Orange 525/530 (I'm sure KTM fans can steer you right)...maybe a plated WRF or XRR

haha trick is finding one in my poor mans price range

I'll add a vote for a dual sport bike...you will use it sooo much more....you can ride from home, OR still truck it ...BUT youre riding choices are HUGELY increased....ya, if you just want to ride the track the 250's are the way to go...but you are missing out on the mountains, big bear, best deserts, national parks, and even local fire roads.....not much OHV area available these days....

personally, I don't like being stuck in a "ring" , even an OHV "area" ring....they get small real fast...

maybe check out more ride reports, pics of all the amazing dual sport rides that happen..... that may convince you that you want to 'GO THERE!"....

KTM and husky's are high performance, but higher maintenance cost.....my first dual sport was akawi KLX250, great all around bike, low maintenance, low cost to purchase...very reliable.....heavier than my KTM"s, but way cheaper...bet you can find that or a DRZ pretty cheap...my 0.02....great luck no matter what you decide....

PhFffff, KTM this, Husky that, :) Blaaa Blaaa Blaaaaa, Get a KLR, and change 2 things and forget it, One is the OIL and the other is the Doo-hickey, Then ride the piss out of it. You can get a nice one for around $2500.00 They dont go ripping around the desert, nor burn tires on the freeway, but you can pack a butt load of camping gear on em and at 45 plus MPG they are super cheap for miles of smiles.

PhFffff, KTM this, Husky that, :) Blaaa Blaaa Blaaaaa, Get a KLR, and change 2 things and forget it

I don't see you out on the singletrack. :coolio:

PhFffff, KTM this, Husky that, :) Blaaa Blaaa Blaaaaa, Get a KLR, and change 2 things and forget it

I don't see you out on the singletrack. :coolio:

ah- the beauty of dual sporting...

I'll counter that with, I don't see you riding your bike from your home to the Salton Sea and back :coolio:

I'll counter that with, I don't see you riding your bike from your home to the Salton Sea and back :coolio:

You wouldn't even see me doing that on a big bike. ^_^

Tsk, Tsk, obviously neither of you ride Honda, because you aren't being very nice right now.

Tsk, Tsk, obviously neither of you ride Honda, because you aren't being very nice right now.

Tsk tsk, obviously you don't pay attention. :lol:

I actually was being nice...

"ah... the beauty of dual sports"

it goes from a V strom/GS/ADV all the way to a plated XR80, and everything in between.

a KLR "can" ride singletrack, and I accompanied pyro on his on trail 3A. That trail is not a walk in the park on ANY bike (maybe a trials bike), but he rode it...

a TE310 CAN ride the freeway, but most people don't do it

I agree with fox about the high maintenance bikes... all the Orange riders will tell me that I'm full of it, but I think a DRZ (on the small side) to a KLR ( on the large side) with the DR650/XRL/WRR/KLX scattered between is a good way to start for a person new to motorcycling.

Once you have chosen your first bike, and try out everything you can refine your choice down the way

also- dual sports... living as close as we do to Anza Borrego, which has some of the best riding, fun trails, good camping, fun OHV options, and NOT having a plate seems like you're selling yourself short. SO many options for a dual sport bike on Truck Trails also...

my vote was just for a DUAL SPORT BIKE (vs. a dirt only bike)......

KLR< KLX<KTM.....doesn't matter...different bikes for different purposes...but the important thing is WE ARE OUT HAVING FUN.....and out there enjoying the company of awesome people...

I think it's all in jest anyway....Let's Just ride~~~

I drive a honda civic,,,

JEST< Yes 99% of my postings are in JEST, as (lets face it) i ride a tractor, a heavy heavy bike, that even with a 705 kits and a stage 2 head, its not fast nor quick as most bikes. I ride for fun, and when riding a KLR in a group of riders, I get left behind, where i am no longer eating dust, but cruising along with smiles.

Then when most are loading those bike in trucks, i take the back roads home and get a huge case of monkey butt.

Had I had riding skills that were not 20 years old and dusty, i might have got a lighter, faster bike, but i picked a tractor to ride and met some great wonderful people who ride. Thats the greatest thing about any bike, the people who ride em,

So, whatever you do, never take a jesting as anything other then that. I ride a KLR, and people jest at me all the time..

See ya out there,,,