Guest Crusty

The all new plated CRF from HONDA.

I am thinking about buying this bike. Has anyone bought or ridden one? It is this or the WR, the Honda just seemed to fit better. I am open to any feedback. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the Honda, but the WRR has a pretty high seat high, so you might want to sit on one first. A couple of things can be done to work the issue, but all are aftermarket except the approx. 1" built in lowering. I still don't flat foot it at 6" tall.

Other than that, it is a wonderful bike with almost no maintenance. Mine sat for six months without being turned over or on a battery tender and was running in less than two seconds after hitting the button! And with CA gas!

The Wr was tall and the Honda fit better. My bike now is tall and I got used to it but I struggle in the harder sections. I might have my answer.... thank you.

The Wr was tall and the Honda fit better. My bike now is tall and I got used to it but I struggle in the harder sections. I might have my answer.... thank you.

Another competitor in the 250cc class is the new Husky TE250. Factory street legal and physically designed smaller than the 310/450/510 with a lower seat height.

I had a chance to test ride both bikes yesterday and the Honda felt like a scooter. I am looking for a WR. I have gone to three shops and they must not need any business because they don't return calls even with approved financing. I don't get it, I would have walked out with a bike over the weekend both Fun Bike Center and Motosport World were supposed to get back to me.

I had a chance to test ride both bikes yesterday and the Honda felt like a scooter. I am looking for a WR.

What does that mean? Spec wise the Honda meets or exceeds the WR. It would be nice to have some real world differences between the two.

I had a chance to test ride both bikes yesterday and the Honda felt like a scooter. I am looking for a WR.

What does that mean? Spec wise the Honda meets or exceeds the WR. It would be nice to have some real world differences between the two.

Uhhhh, your incorrect. Why don't you show me where it meets or exceeds the WRR?

-WRR has more suspension travel

-WRR weighs 25lbs less

Brakes, fuel, engine size, etc are similar. But I wonder if the Honda does its first valve check at 26,000 miles?

Assuming everything else is equal, these two alone are noteworthy. Not trying to be a WRR homer (I'm actually more of a Honda homer than Yamaha), but using facts vs opinion.

Guest Crusty

But I wonder if the Honda does its first valve check at 26,000 miles?

I read that Crawdad had to do a top end before the valve check.???

My XR 680L felt like a scooter when I rode it off the lot, but it ROCKS now.

But I wonder if the Honda does its first valve check at 26,000 miles?

I read that Crawdad had to do a top end before the valve check.???

My XR 680L felt like a scooter when I rode it off the lot, but it ROCKS now.

Crusty,

In a typical Honda fanboi way, you take one instance out of context to try use it to put down something you know not much about, and place your emotion over facts. The reason Chris had to do a top-end was due to his own self-admitted laziness WRT basic maintenance. Many WRRs have over 35,000 miles. One issue doesn't speak for a fleet, as I'm sure every single make and model of motorcycle out there has had an early failure of some type.

Not trying to be too defensive of Yamaha here, as today I was just trying to talk a guy into getting a CRF450X over a WR450F for riding in Baja. I think both brands rock, but am more loyal to Honda, especially since I was able to work for JCR in the 2009 B1K. But what the hell does that have to do with anything?

And what the hell does your XR605L have to do with anything related to a CRF vs WRR? :tired:

Sorry Jim, yes the WR does have more travel. Weight is up for debate wet/dry. I am not a big fan of one over the other. Slagnado is the first that I know that has had the opportunity to do a side by side riding. I think the big difference will come down to the engine hp/ torque. Honda has a lower compression and I am wondering how the performance is compared to the WR.

I think the big difference will come down to the engine hp/ torque. Honda has a lower compression and I am wondering how the performance is compared to the WR.

With only 250cc, I don't think there can really be that much difference, especially with both manufacturers trying to make a reliable, low maintenance engine. I know the WRR doesn't have much power at all, but it gets me where I need to go, you just have to wring its neck. I'm sure the Honda will be bulletproof and solid, and be underpowered just like the WRR. I'm sure they will both be about the same.

I think the big difference is going to be in price. I think they are both very evenly matched, and the Honda is cheaper. And people know Honda is rock solid reliable.

Guest Crusty

Yes I forgot about the price. Honda 4,500 and Yamaha 6,700. Thats a big difference.

(LESS IS MORE)

Lots of money left for a re map, cam, pipe, tires and suspension!!!!party.gif

I found this on ADV:

Ihttp://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816708

This guy bought both bikes and is comparing them. I just started reading it. Thanks for the input.

A quote from ADV Rider CRFL vs WRR thread regarding the Honda.

As far as the CRF goes. There isn't much to report. It is doing good. It always starts. My wife can leave me out of turns if she tries. It has been dropped at slow speeds only and no more then 5 times. Boy you can sure tell. the plastics don't fit right any more. The radiator shrouds are two pieces and they are poorly made, often splitting at the seam. I gave up trying to keep them together. The back brakes still suck but are better. The seat is so low in relation to the bars you kind of feel like you are driving a tractor. This is good for comfort I guess but for performance riding it is a no go because you can't slide up on the seat. I won't ride it on trails much at all because the bike, well, just sucks for that. It can be done but it isn't any fun compared to any other dirt bike. It is a great beginner/non enthusiast motorcycle. To me it just feels like a kids toy and that is coming from a guy that rides a KX100 a lot of the time. What is so nice about it is that with my lowering mod most anyone can touch the ground. We are getting about 75 mpg and that is mostly all highway and fire road riding. My wife loves this bike but is looking to a TTR for the woods. then on to the KX100!

"The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda

"A great beginner/non-enthusiast motorcycle." Way to stir the soul Honda.

The couple is already looking toward another bike "for the woods".

The Husqvarna TE250 was a great bike that didn't seem to get the recognition that it deserved. It was peppier, lighter and better handling than its Japanese counterparts. Last year, they shortened it a bit to attract new riders, but somehow didn't market it correctly. It isn't in the 2013 lineup. In spite of its versatility, it tanked. The Honda will probably do great, with its name brand appeal and a better marketing campaign.

I have not been lucky enough to ride either bike, but I'm willing to be that Honda will not be able to keep these on the floor. They will sell really well do to the price and the look. The Yamaha may be worlds better, but a $2000 difference will sway a lot of riders to Big Red.

The Husqvarna TE250 was a great bike that didn't seem to get the recognition that it deserved. It was peppier, lighter and better handling than its Japanese counterparts. Last year, they shortened it a bit to attract new riders, but somehow didn't market it correctly. It isn't in the 2013 lineup. In spite of its versatility, it tanked. The Honda will probably do great, with its name brand appeal and a better marketing campaign.

Mimi, any idea how the TE250 stacks-up in reliability and service intervals? The CRF and WR seem to both be long intervals on oil and valve checks.

Mimi, any idea how the TE250 stacks-up in reliability and service intervals? The CRF and WR seem to both be long intervals on oil and valve checks.

Not sure how the 250s are, but my 07 TE450 now has over 400 hours and 9000 miles on it. It needed one valve adjusted in all this time (around 8000 miles), and gets the oil changed every 500 miles, the oil filter every 1000. That's all that has ever been done to the engine so far. I'm hoping to get to 15000 miles before any tired topend parts need replacing. :party:

Not sure how the 250s are, but my 07 TE450 now has over 400 hours and 9000 miles on it. It needed one valve adjusted in all this time (around 8000 miles), and gets the oil changed every 500 miles, the oil filter every 1000. That's all that has ever been done to the engine so far. I'm hoping to get to 15000 miles before any tired topend parts need replacing.

Is the 500 mile oil change factory recommended or just your personal choice?

Not sure what factory specifies for this. The dealer told me to change the oil at intervals not exceeding 500 miles. The engine only holds about a quart and a half of oil, so I figure that this is a good idea. I haven't been using any extra fancy synthetic oil in the bike though, just a petroleum blend of 20-50.

2012 TE250 - $7599 new from shop

I read much about the TE250 after first proposing it as an option for slagnado in this thread. The bike comes with a 2" lower seat height from the factory. This is attained through suspension tuning - spacers in the shock and forks etc. The bike is the same size frame as the previous tall TE250 and TE310 just with a lowered suspension. A suspension technician could reverse the Low TE250 and raise it back up - or vicaversa - a 310 for instance could be lowered just like the TE250 is.

I don't think the TE will be as reliable as the WRR and CRF-L but that is to be expected with its higher performing motor. Its much lighter than the WRR and CRF-L and should out perform them on all things off-road. Both Japanese bikes will probably do better on road and will require less upkeep. All are fuel injected so no carb cleaning tho!

SDAR's own Sneeker has the TE250 (now 310 I believe) - hopefully he'll chime in.

---

The CRF250L should sell like hot cakes! That is a superb price for an entry level new bike - its fuel injected and ahead of the XT250 and KLX250s (bikes I put in its class based on price and low seat height which is a big factor for this bike's target audience). On price it greatly out competes the WR250R but I feel the WRR is more in competition with the DRZ400 anyways. I think people compare the "250cc class" based on engine size but I feel seat height and cost are more important factors for the target audience. Any bike can be shortened. An aggressive rider who is short will buy a high performance bike and get it lowered. The 250L should be the ticket for many people. I've seen pictures of the 250L bike camping. Looks like fun.

Of course I'd still like to see a CRF250X-L!

Not sure what factory specifies for this. The dealer told me to change the oil at intervals not exceeding 500 miles. The engine only holds about a quart and a half of oil, so I figure that this is a good idea. I haven't been using any extra fancy synthetic oil in the bike though, just a petroleum blend of 20-50.

Thanks for the info Mimi.

Of course I'd still like to see a CRF250X-L!

I don't know, the 250X I have needed the head re-worked (valves) before it needed a new front tire. I know the prior owner, it wasn't abused. Maybe the new ones are better? It's a nice bike, but I just can't get behind the reliability of it. Here's to hoping the stainless steel valves last longer than the stock ones did.