Guest Crusty

1 reason I don't really want to race any more.

Bryce is my best friend Becky's step son. She is also on this board. Tweety 999. They are having a ride day to Benefit Bryce this Saturday at Milestone. If you can come, please do.

Bryce is one of the nicest kids you will ever meet!

From Bryce's FB Page - a post from his dad:

Dear Friends;<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; ">This is Bryce's dad. I wish this was one of my usual motocross racing updates, but, unfortunately, it’s not. Bryce suffered severe and life-threatening injuries while racing at Pala on Sunday.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; ">WHAT HAPPENED: <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; text-align: left; ">Bryce wanted to do a few local races to tune up for the outdoor season. TWMX hosted a race this last Sunday at Pala Raceway. The day was going well; Bryce had already won the 450 Pro class and the first moto of the Pro Open class. He got the holeshot in the 2nd moto and was leading on the first lap. They were heading away from the grandstands towards the big step-up in the back of the track. There are a series of jumps leading back there. I saw him go over the first jump and disappear but didn’t see him going up the face of the next jump. The next thing I knew, several other riders disappeared over the jump as well; then I saw some bikes and bodies flying. Apparently, Bryce crashed somehow and was right in the landing area and got landed on by the next 4 or 5 riders. When I got there, it was horrible. It was obvious that the injuries were very serious. He was life-flighted to Palomar Trauma center. We then learned of the extent of the injuries: both femurs were snapped, his left elbow was completely shattered, a ruptured liver, ruptured kidney, broken collarbone, multiple fractures of the pelvis, fractures to parts of the lower spine, fractured scaphoid and nerve damage to the left arm and wrist. He was rushed to surgery around 7:30 Sunday evening and the orthopedic surgeon, Dr Paul Milling, came out 9 hours later in the early morning hours of Monday, fully drenched in sweat and blood, to tell us he thought it went well. They re-constructed the elbow with 3 plates and over 30 screws and put rods and screws down each of the femers. The liver and kidney seemed to stop bleeding so that was huge. He was taken to ICU and evaluated yesterday by the pelvic surgeon, Dr Jeffrey Smith, who felt that the pelvic and tail-bone fractures were better left alone at this time without another operation; same with the collarbone. He feels that unless something changes, those will hopefully heal without surgery. I just left the ICU a couple of hours ago, (Tues around noon), and his vital signs are OK. He is in a great deal of pain and is only semi-conscious, in and out due to the trauma and all of the pain meds. The positive things are that there doesn’t appear to be any head injury and the spinal column and neck seem to be OK. He can move his hands and feet and the right arm seems to be OK. Bryce will be in ICU for several more days assuming no complications, then he’ll be moved to a room where he can accept visitors. I will send another e-mail when that happens or you can check out Bryce’s Facebook page for updates:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bryce-Vallee/219206569988?ref=search&sid=100000320826112.1303419729..1

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE PRAYERS AND SUPPORT

It’s been overwhelming to see all of the support and love for Bryce. Many friends waited with us during the surgeries and provided a lot of comfort. We’d like to thank all of you on behalf of Bryce, our families and his sweetheart, Alissa. We’d especially like to thank Jesse, Zack, Travis Friestad, Travis Baker and his fiancé Kendall, Scott and John Parkinson of Panic Rev, Jeff Jetton, Conner, Lars, Heidi Baker, Alissa’s mom and sister, Omar Ochoa and everyone else whom I may have forgotten who came to the hospital and waited with us over the last day and a half (seems like a year and a half). Also, thanks to the hundreds of folks who have sent messages and prayers for Bryce. It means more than you know. We’d like to send prayers and best wishes to Trevor Ries and his family. Trevor was directly behind Bryce and suffered a collapsed lung and broken ribs in the crash. He is upstairs from us and, hopefully, will be discharged tomorrow. We have no real timetable for Bryce’s recovery but will let you know when we know more.

WHAT CAN I DO FOR YOU OR TO HELP BRYCE?

Sometimes tragedy brings out the best in people and that certainly is the case here. Thanks, everyone, for asking and here are some suggestions and an event.

1. SEND A GREETING OR MESSAGE TO BRYCE: While he can’t read them yet, he will have plenty of time to catch up during his long rehabilitation and I know he will be touched by these. If you would like to send Bryce a personal message, please send to the e-mail address: vr814@yahoo.com

This is a separate address and can also be accessed through the contact page on his website: www.brycevalleemx.com

We may read some of these at his “Ride Day” this Saturday, April 7th at Milestone MX (more about this below)

2. HELP OUT FINANCIALLY: I’ve always insisted on great insurance for Bryce, considering what he does. However, even with best insurance, there will be quite a large out-of-pocket cost for him with deductibles, co-pays and certain things and services that aren’t covered before this is over. If you would like to help in this way, you could send Bryce a check in care of my office or donate directly on his web-site through his Pay-Pal account with a credit card or your own Pay-Pal account. The link for this iswww.brycevalleemx.com. Follow the injury link. Just click on the small, yellow “Donate” button on the lower left.

3. COME TO HIS RIDE DAY OR DONATE STUFF FOR THE RAFFLE AND SILENT AUCTION: Bryce’s mechanic and good friend, Omar Ochoa, and another good friend, Chase Lock, have organized a ride day this Saturday, April 7th, at Milestone MX. Here is a link for more information:http://www.racerxonline.com/2012/04/03/bryce-vallee-ride-day

I understand that Troy Lee, Enzo Racing, Applied Racing, Dr D, Unit, Pro Taper, Truth, MSR, Ghetto, Transworld MX, Milestone and many others have generously donated items for the auction. Many other pro riders, amateur riders, friends, sponsors, and many others have already said they will be there to show support for Bryce. They will be filming the event and filming live greetings to show Bryce later on when he’s able to watch them. I know that will be very special for him. We really appreciate Omar, Chase and everyone else involved for doing this; it’s a very generous gesture and very touching for our families. If you have any questions or would like to donate items, contact Omar at ochoaomar123@yahoo.com or on his cell at 760 622-6883. Thanks guys!

On behalf of Bryce, our families, Alissa, and all of those close to Bryce, please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

With Love,

Mike

Flagging is a thankless job, but the guy was right there and if he had run to the top of the jump as soon as the crash 90% of this might have been avoided. It took him almost 10 secounds to really start waving the flag and by then most of the pack had already come thru.

CiD

Made a $50 donation on behalf of DualSportMoto, CORE, and SDAR. Hope a little bit helps.

Made a $50 donation on behalf of DualSportMoto, CORE, and SDAR. Hope a little bit helps.

Wow, Awesome! Thanks!

That's great Roger, thanks.

Flagging is a thankless job, but the guy was right there and if he had run to the top of the jump as soon as the crash 90% of this might have been avoided. It took him almost 10 secounds to really start waving the flag and by then most of the pack had already come thru.

CiD

CiD, that's the first thing I noticed also.

CiD

This was the first lap and the flagger was watching the rider go through the jump. He reacted immediately to the crash but looked confused as whether to run out and help the downed rider or wave the flag. You can see him wanting to run to help the rider but pull back as other bikes come flying through. It looks like didn't open the flag enough and he was at the bottom of the jump so riders flying over the top wouldn't have seen him even if the flag was open.

Whats proper flagger procedure in this case?

Do race series recommend/request/require insurance?

CiD

CiD, that's the first thing I noticed also.

Bullshit to bash the flagger. He was waving the flag 3 seconds after and like GF stated he was about to pull him out of harms way. Maybe that UNPAID, UNAPPRECIATED guy should of stood in front like a shield. Doubt either one of you guys could of done better! Dangerous sport they chose to do.

Mike I raced hundreds if times in the 70's, 80's and 90's. I would always try and flag to help out between races back then. Flagers always were told what to do in the event of a crash and going to the downed rider is exactly what your not supposed to do. If he had gone to the top of the jump (where he should have been in the 1st place) then the rider would have not been hit by more than just the guy right behind him. And yes I could/would have done a better job. I would have been on the top of the jump in the line of the down rider with the flag out.

Like I said it's a thankless job but an important one that needs to be done correctly. I hope for a full and speedy recovery for the hurt riders.

CiD

Bullshit to bash the flagger. He was waving the flag 3 seconds after and like GF stated he was about to pull him out of harms way. Maybe that UNPAID, UNAPPRECIATED guy should of stood in front like a shield. Doubt either one of you guys could of done better! Dangerous sport they chose to do.

I don't think it is bullshit to bash the flagger at all. Whenever you have a mishap, you have to look at all causal (not casual) factors. I wouldn't call it bashing him as much as pointing out that he was a contributing factor not to the initial crash, but follow-on participants in the crash. While he may have started waving his flag within three seconds, it was rolled up around the stick, thereby causing him to wave a yellow stick to riders that had already crested the jump. Flag should have been out and held by the hand against the stick for immediate deployment. Not much a guy can do once he is in the air. Then, he also pulled that partially unrolled flag back a time or two after he decided not to assist the rider, which wasn't his job. Then, as CID stated, 10 seconds later he started to make his way to the top or other side of the jump to alert others to the up coming crash...which was way too late.

I'm not in anyway saying he was the cause, or major contributor, but he was a causal factor and it needs to be addressed. While he may have been unpaid, and some may have not appreciate him, that doesn't relive him of doing what he is supposed to do and doing it well if he volunteers for the position. Not bashing, just analyzing.

I saw this video on Proride also and its just awful. I hope the ride day goes well @ Milestone.

They should just cancel the sport all together. TOO DANGEROUS! Maybe do match races with time trials instead.

They should just cancel the sport all together. TOO DANGEROUS! Maybe do match races with time trials instead.

Bum,

Never said the sport was too dangerous. But I think there is inherent danger in the sport, just like many others. I would also argue that riding CAN BE more dangerous than others if good risk management isn't employed, from something as simple as riding with a buddy, to much more extreme measures. Having a flagman in expected areas of crashes is not out of line, and I don't think it would be out of line to have them not have their flags wrapped around the flag stick. These are simple little measures that would make the sport much safer and help to prevent injuries. Do you think it is correct to ignore some of the mistakes from this accident and not take corrective action for future races?

These are simple little measures that would make the sport much safer and help to prevent injuries. Do you think it is correct to ignore some of the mistakes from this accident and not take corrective action for future races?

Track was to complicated. Jumps were to high. To many riders on the track at once. They were traveling to fast.

This sport is to Dangerous and I hope my kids never want to compete in it.

Guest Crusty

Thoughts and prayers sent.

Back in 1981 I was racing at OCIR Thursday nights under the lights.

I crashed at the bottom of the ski jump.

I got knocked out.

Paramedics were helping me and one of them got landed on.

The other paramedic left me and went to aid his co worker???

It's hard to place blame.

At the top of a jump is not always the safest place for the flaggers.

Flagging can be a very dangerous job!

There was a big write up in Cycle news about the incident.

OCIR closed it's doors soon after.sad.gif

Luckily I finished the race, didn't remember much, when I got to the pits I asked if I had won.heh.gif

Not been to pala yet so not sure if this is usual but definately the flagger was not in the best position being totally blind to riders on approach to jump, he should have been at / near the peak of jump so can see and be seen, whether he was told to go there or just made a bad decision but promotor should make sure all flaggers are in correct position and know what to do before race.

Do hope Bryce recovers quickly, also feel sorry for the other riders that couldn't avoid crashing into him, they must all feel real bad.

As long as people have been around, there has been competition. It used to be chariots...and people thought it was too dangerous.

I didn't watch the video; those things make me relive too many painful injuries.

As long as we keep "upping the stakes" the racing will get more entertaining and the crashes will be more brutal.

Canceling the racing won't stop people for racing; we all realize that even the simple trail ride can get ugly real quick and we mitigate concerns as best we can.

I went to the Hospital yesterday afternoon mostly to support his Father Mike and step mom whom I have had the pleasure of riding with and hanging out at Christy 20s track or Duffyland. I have also watched Bryce tear up Duffyland a few times.

As a Father of 2 boys it was painful to see Bryce in this condition in the Critical Care Unit.

Mike was not there but got to meet his Mother and Step Father. I introduced myself and she invited me in and filled me in on all the happenings and procedures that have been going on things that have to be done. I noticeably got tears in my eyes as she talked to me about everything and looking at Bryce

As Crusty said earlier in this thread - Bryce and Family need to be in our thoughts and Prayers for a while.

Bryce is one of the nicest kids you will ever meet!

Made a $$ donation. I don't know Bryce but Christie was kind enough to let us ride her track so it's the least I can do. I hope to have the honor of Bryce smoking me around the duffyland track some day soon!!! Heal up! :party: