Sign in to follow this  
Mistress of the dual

Family escapes forest fire - dual sporter rides back in

It's even scarier if you have ever actually ridden a motorcycle near a big fire. There was a brush fire along the freeway once, and the cars were all slowing down to take a good look. I must have been a good 50 feet or more away from the wall of flames on my motorcycle, and I felt like I was being roasted alive! It was painfully hot. I wanted to hurry around the cars, and I did. I would never ride a bike into an area that was burning, not even if I feared that loved ones or my home were being threatened.

I saw that on FoxNews today!

Everyone else driving away, quickly, and this guy on a big, wide DS heads back in.

Probably a GPS malfunction or a last shot at a "must ride" trail.

I would never ride a bike into an area that was burning, not even if I feared that loved ones or my home were being threatened.

Having kids I would say "Without hesitation, I would!"

Working the big fires we've had, I've found the heat from even farther than 50 feet is incredible. In the mid 90's we went in to rescue a family with flames on both sides of the road. They all piled in and we basically drove through a tunnel of fire to get out. Glad the city had a paint contract with a local vendor - cuz black & white bubbles don't look as good.

Calculate the risk, do what you must.