Sign in to follow this  
tlking6

Permit costs

Applying for my permit for next years Desert Rat Experience and I get this in an email from Ocotillo Wells.

"Also, I wanted to let you know of a new fee change for next year. OW will be charging $5.00 per entrant vs. a flat fee."

Ummmm Wow,,, $1500 + to camp in the Desert?

Yep, that is the word I got from Ocotillo Wells...the state is trying to recoup expenses since they claim they're broke.

Funny thing is, word from an insider is that the state has plenty of money, they just don't distribute it or appropriate it properly.

That my friend is the State at work. They being the State are just making jobs out in OW, for years they have never had the patrolls out in the park like they have today. What pisses me off is when they wait down the street from Iron Door at night to give the young one who is on his or her way back to camp a DUI. I understand safety but it has gone to far out in OW.

Yep, that is the word I got from Ocotillo Wells...the state is trying to recoup expenses since they claim they're broke.

Funny thing is, word from an insider is that the state has plenty of money, they just don't distribute it or appropriate it properly.

Tracy why not move the camp to just outside of the OHV park? Would you still need the permit if we were down at Pole Line rd?

Chris

BLM is $5 per entrant also, but they've had that for years.

Unfortunately, this is the state of affairs nowadays....Anza Borrego State Park will be raising their permit fees also next year for the Desert Dash.

We'll see how that goes.

That my friend is the State at work. They being the State are just making jobs out in OW, for years they have never had the patrolls out in the park like they have today. What pisses me off is when they wait down the street from Iron Door at night to give the young one who is on his or her way back to camp a DUI. I understand safety but it has gone to far out in OW.

So is this your opinion or so you have some facts to base your statement on? I did a quick search and found one projection of a 8.4 billion dollar shortfall for the 2013 budget. My OPINION is that the state is spending more than it's taking in. It needs to cut the fat at all levels or face devastating consequences. If it can make a buck charging $5 for camping, then that's what it's going to do. I just find it interesting that the first thing you point out is the enforcement of laws that have been in place for years and your apparent indiference to drunk driving. I genuinely hope you never have to feel the pain of losing a family member or loved one to a drunk driver.

I know a guy that has 40 acre's close to the Iron Door. I could ask him about holding the event on his property.

CiD

BLM is $5 per entrant also, but they've had that for years.

Unfortunately, this is the state of affairs nowadays....Anza Borrego State Park will be raising their permit fees also next year for the Desert Dash.

We'll see how that goes.

Which is why my plan for a "formal" CORE Laughlin 250 event will likely never happen......the time/cost associated with paying the NV. BLM, the AZ. BLM, and the Lake Mead National Recreation Area...and the additional time/costs associated with dealing with all of their individual plans/stipulations are just too much for me to deal with on an individual/part time basis......I'd have to charge a lot for the ride to cover expenses because I can't afford to go negative the first few years hoping it'll catch on.....it's really frustrating/irritating......

"Less is More" applies to big brother/bureaucracy too....

So is this your opinion or so you have some facts to base your statement on? I did a quick search and found one projection of a 8.4 billion dollar shortfall for the 2013 budget. My OPINION is that the state is spending more than it's taking in. It needs to cut the fat at all levels or face devastating consequences. If it can make a buck charging $5 for camping, then that's what it's going to do. I just find it interesting that the first thing you point out is the enforcement of laws that have been in place for years and your apparent indiference to drunk driving. I genuinely hope you never have to feel the pain of losing a family member or loved one to a drunk driver.

Wow......

Word from an insider at the State Capitol is.....Funny thing is that the state has plenty of money, they just don't distribute it or appropriate it properly.

Charging $5 a head for permits is NOT going to solve the budget crisis, maybe pay for a couple hours of the governors limousine....getting rid of certain representatives in Sacramento may...and that takes voting in the right candidates.

But not many people would know, since not many people get involved in what's going on with our issues. Most people are complacent and don't do anything.

At the Brian Jones fundraiser last week, there were 3 people from SDAR...and one is not even a regular....2 of the regulars were Sandiegoland and me. Others from SDAR were invited for FREE, and nobody else showed. There was some good insightful info about politics, the state government, etc. Plus it was showing support for a representative on OUR side, and now I have his personal e-mail so I can let him know about important land use issues he may not know about.

My OPINION is that the state is spending more than it's taking in.

That my friend, is not opinion, but rather fact! Now, if what the state is spending is appropriate or not, is opinion!

Tracy why not move the camp to just outside of the OHV park? Would you still need the permit if we were down at Pole Line rd?

Chris

Yes I would and its even worse. You have to provide your own paramedics etc. I've had offers to hold it on private property but theres issues attached to that as well. Its complex. Having the event in the SVRA has its benefits, from a liability standpoint, that has given me the leverage to sell the idea to the board. If they hold firm on this, which they probably will, means I will have to raise the price of the event $5. Not that big of a deal in reality but the principal of the whole thing is what bugs me.

Free to everyone else unless you're holding an event. Complete bullsh*t.

I'd be happy to buy a permit like ya do at Glamis or Wilderness pass, but to just charge $5/head arbitrarily is just stupid.

Kalifornia is being run into the ground and it won't be long before I blow this popsicle stand.

I am with you on this brother, It is going down down down fast, . 4 more years then I am out.

Free to everyone else unless you're holding an event. Complete bullsh*t.

I'd be happy to buy a permit like ya do at Glamis or Wilderness pass, but to just charge $5/head arbitrarily is just stupid.

Kalifornia is being run into the ground and it won't be long before I blow this popsicle stand.