tntmo

NYC - Things you HAVE to do or see?

We'll be making a four day trip to New York City the first week of April. I've never been to the Big Apple, and of course I want to do and see as much as possible during my time there. We plan to do a bunch of the tourist stuff, like Empire State building, Stature of Liberty, etc, but what about any other things to do or see? Any places we absolutely have to eat? Places to avoid?

We are looking at purchsing the New York City Pass. http://www.newyorkpass.com/ There is no way we can see all that stuff, but it should be less of a headache than buying individual tickets.

Give me your trip advice, please!

Times Square at night, drop in to the Today show and be on tv, see if you can get tickets to a taping of Letterman, see a Yanks game (you could see the Mets, but why?), WTC - 9/11 site. So many things in the greatest city in the world!

We'll be making a four day trip to New York City the first week of April. I've never been to the Big Apple, and of course I want to do and see as much as possible during my time there. We plan to do a bunch of the tourist stuff, like Empire State building, Stature of Liberty, etc, but what about any other things to do or see? Any places we absolutely have to eat? Places to avoid?

We are looking at purchsing the New York City Pass. http://www.newyorkpass.com/ There is no way we can see all that stuff, but it should be less of a headache than buying individual tickets.

Give me your trip advice, please!

I never miss a chance to dig our family deep, deeply in debt to have dinner at Balthazar. But I suspect you are far more financially prudent than I.

First never underestimae the value of a subway ride to a child. Mr11 has always loved NYC and would ride the subway all day (and I hope that's not a glimpse into his future). Pop up in places like Grand Central and Penn Station. Walk through the navigation, and tunnels between stations, etc.

I remember taking him through the subway uptown to Empire State Building and walking out on the deck- a beautiful morning,he's up on my shoulders you can see for miles in every direction and "Dad, when can we go back on the subway?"

Ellis Island is fascinating, but, frankly kinda boring for kids. MUST walk across the Brooklyn Bridge- it's visually spectacular and they won't forget it.

Coney Island is an extended subway ride (Q train, IIRC) but another interesting venue- cheap, clanky and "historic" carnival rides, Nathan's Hot Dogs.

Pay for a tour pass on the buss, Get a good look at the city and see all the sites on the buss for a day. After you see all the places on the buss go back to the place that you saw on the buss that really interest you and spend some time.

Make sure you ride the ferry to Staten Island, it is free and the ferry will take you past the statue of liberty. Make sure you spend some time in Central Park. It is hard to take all that city in a week, good luck.

After a brief consultation with Mr11, he revealed the following:

1. Toys R Us in Times square. Any toy store with it's own multi-story Ferris Wheel is culturally important.

2. Subway- "just get on anywhere, remember your stop, and go anywhere you want. Except for the hoodlums-don't go there".

3. The "park where I scraped my arm" (which would be Central Park).

4. The Marriott Marquis Hotel "just go in th eloby for a drink or something- the elevators are SO COOL"- this is true.

You have to eat some real pizza, Central park will be beautiful in april. Take a ferry ride around Manhattan. Time Square is a must. The 9/11 site is amazing . Just take in the city there is no other like it !!! I kinda miss it once in a little while

After a brief consultation with Mr11, he revealed the following:

2. Subway- "just get on anywhere, remember your stop, and go anywhere you want. Except for the hoodlums-don't go there".

1) The Times Square Marriot Marquis is the only hotel I stay in when in the City (which is becoming all to often). The Restaurant at the top (The View) rotates once every 90 minutes; It is a great way to see the city lights over dinner and drinks - the food is excellent.

2) Katz Deli (Katz of NY) - This is where Harry met Sally in the movie of the same name.

3) Tom's Restaurant - This is the Dinner from Seinfeld.

4) The Falafel cart about 8 blocks north of #1.

5) Horse and Carriage Ride in Central Park - pick the best looking Carriage then haggle with the Driver.

6) Grand Central Terminal - Stunningly beautiful

7) Whispering Wall at #6 (Outside the Oyster Bar) - Put her in one corner and you go to the opposite corner... she will LOVE this. This was my backup location for Proposing to P1

8) 30 Rockefeller, tour the studio the day you do the today show (across the street)

9) Empire State Building (Why Not- it has a great view of the Chrysler Building; my favorite building :blush: ) - BTW if this trip if for a special occasion, let me know and I can hook you up with a few key building managers for really special treats)

10) M&M store in Times Square - They get crazy test flavors no place else in the world ever sees... usually with free samples if they have a test that day.

11) "Charging Bull" - The big bull in the Gold District... while you are at it, keep your eyes down in that area, there are people who "mine for sidewalk gold" one dude makes over $250K/yr from what he finds on the sidewalk.

12) Boat Tour of the City - 2hour max, you don;t need to see Harlem from a boat...ugh

13) Yankees, Mets, Knicks, Islanders - Footbal is outside the city

14) Walk the Brooklyn Bridge

15) Ritz Carlton - Stunning, Landmark, Views... can't say enough, but the view of Central Park is to die for!

16) Washington Square Park - It is small but has great breakfast food, fountains, etc

17) Grimaldi's Pizzaria in Brooklyn - I prefer NYC/Philly Style Pizza and this place is Epic

My Favorite Stops on the NYC Subway

- Bbrass figures clutch oversized coins on the subway platform at 14th St. and Eighth Ave.

- The Coney Island-Stillwell Ave. station boasts a silk-screened glass wall that is breathtaking. T Bad Coney Island is a dump

- The 1-2-3 train mezzanine at Times Square has a porcelain mural of a bullet train rushing through the Crossroads of the World.

I could go on forever, but these are my Top 20.

The only thing I will suggest that hasent been mentioned is the Museum of Natural History.

The only thing I will suggest that hasent been mentioned is the Museum of Natural History.

Once you start digging in the museums, you'll never come back.

Regarding the Statue of Liberty. I believe it has been closed to visitors since Sept. 2001. You may want to do a quick internet check before making plans to see it.

Regarding the Statue of Liberty. I believe it has been closed to visitors since Sept. 2001. You may want to do a quick internet check before making plans to see it.

Only the interior; but it is supposed to reopen

ditto. The bottom (museum) was open when we went a few years ago.....but ya couldn't go up to the torch.

Grand Central Station. At least to see the Apple store which is there!

Ride the train to the natural history museum. Pauls right tho, once u get into museums ur not coming out

And if the weathers nice eat outside at a restaurant, take some time to eat drink be merry and watch new York happen. Sitting outside at cafes enjoying a 9 dollar beer is probably my favorite memory of living in newyork

My wife lived in NYC before I met her. She raves about a place called Shake Shack. The original is located in Madison Square Park, but they have grown to i think 7 locations over the past few years. She said the frozen custard is a MUST... Otherwise its just a really really good burger joint. Fresh, never frozen, yada yada.

But I suspect you are far more financially prudent than I.

I don't know if I've ever had anyone say I'm a cheapass any nicer than this!

Thanks for all the tips, I'll do my best to see a bunch of stuff in the days I have. If I miss some, looks like I'll just have to go back!