Well leaving nice and early in hopes of missing LA traffic. Gonna be a long day but hopefully cruising the prettiest road in the US will make up for jr. Let the adventure begin!

Don't forget to smile!

Made it to Santa Barbara no problem, things I've learned already on this trip:

The DR is built not for speed nor comfort, rather a mediocre combination of both designed to get you where you're going.

Turns out LA traffic isn't fun even on a bike.

Warm clothes are indispensable

The air hawk cushion works great even though kinda makes u feel like your on a waterbed at times.

California is beautiful.

More to come

He is in good spirits so far. He went up one tooth on this front counter sprocket and he said its much smoother while cruising at indicated 85mph (the speedo is so off I think 85 is like 78mph). He made it through LA but now the real adventure begins.

He is planning on riding the coast along Highway 1 through Big Sur soon

post-14322-089693700 1331746018_thumb.jp

Weather for the region:

post-14322-029045800 1331746098_thumb.jp

This is taken from my friend's iPhone yesterday. I feel that iPhone weather reports tend to be a bit too cautious.

post-14322-049076100 1331746298_thumb.jp

Morro bay for gas up, Cayucos for fish tacos, onward and upward...what a beautiful day!

Just missed some of the best riding in the state on the way up!

It's not too late:

Cayucas - Old Creek Road - Santa Rosa Creek Road

Naciemento-Fergusson to King City - Carmel Valley Road to Monterey.

Just sayin'.

Have a blast!

Cayucas - Old Creek Road - Santa Rosa Creek Road

Naciemento-Fergusson to King City - Carmel Valley Road to Monterey.

I tried, I promise...but it's true. Also missed Angeles Crest and the fantastic Cerro Noroeste.

Maybe there's another reason for the fast track?

Planning on exploring on the way back. This is the first time I've riden this far and o.wanted to comfortable knowing where I was going. I'll check those routes on the way back for sure

Sent from bboyle9: Fish Tacos in Cayucos, CA

Looks like great weather.

post-14322-079854300 1331750343_thumb.jp

Cayucos on the map

cms110.png

His progress so far

post-14322-078893700 1331750549_thumb.jp

Monterey is cloudy today, but it hasn't rained yet! Best of luck on PCH.

Just got a phone call from bboyle9. He is in Santa Cruz now and its definitely raining there. He doesn't want to ride the 17 freeway through the Santa Cruz mountains into Saratoga/San Jose, and rightfully so because its one of the most dangerous roads in the US. Now he's headed up Hwy 1. I've texted him multiple route options from Half Moon Bay. He can stay at friend's houses in San Bruno, Daly City or Alameda.

He had his pants tucked into his boots, the water ran down his pants into his boots so now his socks and boots are soaked. Ha, he said now is where the adventure begins and he asked for advice to help stop his goggles and/or glasses from fogging up.

His progress so far. He's rode further today any ride he has ever been on before.

post-14322-002765500 1331768055_thumb.jp

Here is his current picture of the rain in Santa Cruz:

post-14322-059528000 1331768044_thumb.jp

Here is a current picture I had sent to me from Berkeley, its still raining there:

post-14322-042245800 1331768048_thumb.jp

He's cold and wet and has a few hours of more wetness before he makes it to his destination. Doesn't riding in the rain break Paul's 10 Commandments? I'm curious to see which route he takes. I'll be watching his SPOT when I should be paying attention to my professor.

Send him some words of encouragement, I know will be checking this thread! May his adventure continue!

If he's getting heavily rained on, after that many miles, has his boots full of water- he must be getting tired.

Adventure or not, it's time to find a place for the night.

If you are going to be close to Redbluff take the 33 west to the coast, will not regret it, Motorcyclist fly in from around the world to ride that, I know I just did it and ti is truly rememberable.

Left at 4 am , got here at 7pm. I'm pretty tired, mostly just cuz for the last three hours the rain has been smashing my face since I couldn't close my sheild without it fogging.

Awesome day, definitely an adventure I'll write something when my head stops ringing and I can feel my fingers again

Run by Big 5 or any "sports" store - or motorcycle shop. They should have some anit-fog liquid or wipes.

Bboyle9 has started his return run. He is in Santa Cruz now. Needless to say its gonna be a wet one!

If it was me I either stay a couple more days or drive over to U-Haul and rent a van for $50.00 and put the bike in the back. Riding in the rain for hours sucks and is pretty unsafe.

Covered in Sunshine

If it was me I either stay a couple more days or drive over to U-Haul and rent a van for $50.00 and put the bike in the back. Riding in the rain for hours sucks and is pretty unsafe.

Covered in Sunshine

Word.

Covered in Wisdom

Guest Crusty

Covered in Sunshine

Word.

Covered in Wisdom

Cars can't see you!

What he lacks in time, money and aged wisdom he is making up with youthful enthusiasm. Still, he needs luck to make it home safe. He is totally soaked to his core. He said he wants to buy new gloves at the nearest moto shop cause at least they will be dry for a bit. His are useless currently.

Im going to try and meet him with my truck at a St Pattys Day party in OC where Ill feed him beers and dry clothes.

Wish him luck, Boyle is a town in Ireland.

I do hope he made it home safe, motorcycles and heavy rain is not the best combination, hope he bought some vortex gloves. He is beyond what we would call being put away wet.