Hey all I just got the news today that the extended warranty I got from ncy is not going to cover my cracked piston/ scored cylinder. There reason was because I didn't change my piston at 90 hours. So now they want 1600$ to do the top end. I am wondering if anybody has any shops they would reccomend or tips on doing it myself. Any info is appreciated. Oh I guess it would help to know the bike, it is an 09 530 exc thanks guys.

All American KTM.

+1 on All American KTM.

But it's not that difficult a job to do yourself, only tricky bit is get the head off and back on if you don't remove the engine from frame, I did mine but it's a bit like rubiks cube:

- get service/shop manual CDROM, ~$30

- use aftermarket woosner or vertex piston, ~$200

- get your barrel replated to match new piston, $200 to $300

- gaskets, seals etc, $100

Or you could use this opportunity to go to 570 for around $800, as example

Thumper Racing

There are some other mods worth doing for <$100 to oil pump etc to update to 2011 spec while your at it.

PM me if you need more info.

Another +1 on All American if you want someone else to do it. If you decide to do it yourself, there's a lot of good info on KTM talk about pistons, rings, etc. A lot of members on KTM Talk recommend DJH and CAflash. DJH has done a lot of work for one of the guys I ride with and he swears by him. I personally haven't worked with him, but I've heard/read nothing but positive news.

Is it me or does 90 hours seams really early to replace a piston? I usually average around 25-35 mph, so that's around 2k total miles. I guess that's how they make their money on the extended warranties.

Good luck!

That sucks-I was never a fan of extended warrentys. My 05 450 MXC has 699.0 Hrs. on it. Oringinal piston my be cracked but is still running.I installed new valves and two rings so far.

Wow thats pretty good but those older ktms had better motors in them from what I understand. I had more unfortunate expenses at the dentist and doctors lately so I have been really considering doing the job myself. I am a mechanic at toyota so I do have tools and a good knowledge on cars. Does anybody know if there are any special tools required to do the job.

Wow thats pretty good but those older ktms had better motors in them from what I understand. I had more unfortunate expenses at the dentist and doctors lately so I have been really considering doing the job myself. I am a mechanic at toyota so I do have tools and a good knowledge on cars. Does anybody know if there are any special tools required to do the job.

No not realy- Cam chain tool and link for the older RFS motors. I don,t know about the new ones. Look and ask at KTM talk. A lot of infro their.

No special tools needed to do the top end.

Another +1 on All American if you want someone else to do it. If you decide to do it yourself, there's a lot of good info on KTM talk about pistons, rings, etc. A lot of members on KTM Talk recommend DJH and CAflash. DJH has done a lot of work for one of the guys I ride with and he swears by him. I personally haven't worked with him, but I've heard/read nothing but positive news.

Is it me or does 90 hours seams really early to replace a piston? I usually average around 25-35 mph, so that's around 2k total miles. I guess that's how they make their money on the extended warranties.

Good luck!

Yes 90hrs is crazy low, not typical at all, yes KTM recommend that so you'll buy lots of parts and service $'s to the dealers. I did my 08 530 at 250hrs/4000 miles, rings were out of spec and could have just put in rings as piston was fine but it has always used / burned oil so was recommended to go for aftermarket woosner or vertex piston which have "better" conventional 3 part oil ring so put in vertex piston and rings along with other oil pump updates and now no oil usage.

how many hours on your bike before you had engine problems? Do you race it?

I got 300 hours out of it and I don't race it but I ride it like I stole it lol so if that's any better?

did you know you had to service at 90 hours? honestly this sounds like a potential law suit. your warranty should cover it.

Hey all I just got the news today that the extended warranty I got from ncy is not going to cover my cracked piston/ scored cylinder. There reason was because I didn't change my piston at 90 hours.

Yikes? 90 hours? For reals? I don't think that the top end was even broken in on my bike at 90 hours! I have 8500 miles and 350 hours on the original top end on my TE450!

I got 300 hours out of it and I don't race it but I ride it like I stole it lol so if that's any better?

Personally I would be more than happy if I get 300 hours before I need a top end on my bike. I'm surprised they even offer a warranty to 300 hours / piston change or not?