DRZ_400Pilot

Tire Selection

Good Afternoon fellow riders,

So here is my question to the crowd I am in the market for new tires for my 09 DRZ 400S. I ride mainly on highway and do some dirt here and there when I get the chance and see a nice trail and sometimes go out to the Desert and ride. I have been looking for months and heard lots of good things about the Dunlop 606 are they good will they last? I dont want to break the bank and buy new rims which I was thinking about doing at first and running Supermoto tires on the highway and eventually getting a new set of trail tires for the rims and have a set I can swap. What would your selection be and why?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to see what I get back...

I use Dunlop 606 on the rear and Pirelli MXMH up front.

Good Afternoon fellow riders,

So here is my question to the crowd I am in the market for new tires for my 09 DRZ 400S. I ride mainly on highway and do some dirt here and there when I get the chance and see a nice trail and sometimes go out to the Desert and ride. I have been looking for months and heard lots of good things about the Dunlop 606 are they good will they last? I dont want to break the bank and buy new rims which I was thinking about doing at first and running Supermoto tires on the highway and eventually getting a new set of trail tires for the rims and have a set I can swap. What would your selection be and why?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to see what I get back...

The 606 tends to work better on larger, heavier bikes. They get really good mileage wear and handle excellent on the pavement.

The 606 tends to work better on larger, heavier bikes. They get really good mileage wear and handle excellent on the pavement.

Agreed ! I hated the 606 off-road its to hard. Wears like iron though. Not the tire for me on my 450.

I tried them front/back when I first changed out the stock Deathwings. That confirmed the experience of others on smaller bikes. They ain't so hot for the front.

That said, it works great on the rear, and as I "ride to the ride" most of the time, I appreciate a longer lasting tire.

606 rear is great. Fronts suck. I like the Dunlop 606 rear and Dunlop 908 front. The 908 will last through 2 or 3 rears and works great in sand. But I do hear real good things about the pirelli xchm? Try the Kenda Trackmaster or Kenda Parker. They are DOT and pretty inexpensive.

I get 2500 to 3000 miles out of 606 rear tires and more out of the front. The front 606 knobs make for too much buzzing on the highway. I prefer the MT21's on the front because they're quieter than 606's.

If you want to save some money and don't care about breaking speed records, try these: https://www.denniskirk.com/irc/rear-gp-1-dual-sport-3-00-17-tire.p540957.prd/540957.sku

I feel like they give pretty good traction and last almost as long as 606's at less than half the cost.

No doubt the 606 front is a super tough tire just in my opinion they do not handle sand as well and the seem to have a tendency to cup the knobs (technical term) The 908 combo really handled well and didnt wear near as fast. I had some mt21's and they were really good I just have not bought them new yet.

I stepped up for a pair of 908RR Dunlops- very big money. I was not as happy as others have said. I found the rear very slippery and the front was sorta meh. For me, not worth the extra bucks at all.

The MT21 cracked and "hinged" its knobs on the front about 1/4 of the way through the tread life. I eventually pulled it with plenty of tread leftover and tossed it.

Pirelli MT43.......low profile for street.....wears as long, or longer, than many knobbies

Pirelli MT43.......low profile for street.....wears as long, or longer, than many knobbies

You're running those front and rear now, right?

You're running those front and rear now, right?

Yep, on the WR250R....

It's funny, when I took The Smoker to the River with the BBTR boys I was the ONLY guy that wasn't running a MT43 on the back......a few of them had MT43s on the front too.....I'm one of the biggest advocates of MT43s for "all around" usage.....just wanted to be able to slip and slide a bit with The Smoker.....I was wishing I had a trials tire when we hit one particular loose/rocky climb......a MT43 trials tire will be on the back of the 300 again soon......also putting one on the 230 for Kathy.....less "slippery" on the fire roads we pimp along on.....should help her confidence....

After hearing Crawdaddy talk about the MT43 I put them on my DRZ400. I just recently got to try them properly aired down in the dirt and couldn"t believe how much easier it made riding for me compared to 606s. Thanks Crawdaddy, I love them.

Thanks everyone for the advice I spent a little more and I just did the Dunlop 606s for both, I read lots of reviews with some hits and misses but figured for the price and mileage expected out of them they seem to be a good choise for me.

Thanks everyone for the advice I spent a little more and I just did the Dunlop 606s for both, I read lots of reviews with some hits and misses but figured for the price and mileage expected out of them they seem to be a good choise for me.

I know I'm late to THIS tire thread, but will share my 606 experience.

Pretty good on the rear... good life, and predictable. Suffer a little on wet pavement, but good all-around tire. It is a little hard, but that's the trade-off for long life

Pretty bad on the front... understeers a lot; the harder you ride, the more it pushes. Cups when ridden on the freeway a lot. Air it down in the dirt

MT43 is pretty darn good on the rear- does everything ok, and some stuff great; better in sand than expected. Pretty bad in slimey mud

MT43 on the front... if it is rocky, it is pretty good... soft downhills, soft corners, mud, and snow, I really kind of hate it