PastaPilot

My new Motovan

Bagstr asked me about my camp setup a few months back. I'm finally getting back to you Dave.

I've been looking for a fullsize van for a few years to turn into a motorcycle transport/camper. I kicked around the idea of an extended cargo van, standard van, shuttle van, etc. I priced diesel powered vans, ran and crunched numbers every time I considered purchasing one or another. Did a little research into upcoming new or future vans. What I came up with was a hi-top 95 Ford Econoline E-150 (for now*).

In camp

100_1242.jpg

This one came with a microfridge and cabinet.

100_1241.jpg

The fridge is powered off an inverter and two deep cycle batteries. The fridge's power supply is charged by the van but isolated from the van battery so it won't feed off the ships power supply. There is also an external plug to connect services while in a campground or at home. I like to pre-chill the fridge before loading up and hitting the road.

My camp setup. Full size inflatable mattress and a sleeping bag.

100_1240.jpg

The hi-top was a must for me. The extra headroom is so nice when loading the bikes or pulling on riding gear. It also has extra storage space in the front and back as well as a small TV in the front. Unfortunately the TV is 16 years old and only pics up analog broadcasts. Otherwise it works perfectly and the sound is piped into the stereo speakers.

Plenty of room for the bike and gear. Pardon the mess. The photos were taken when I was loading up to head home and I just threw everything in.

100_1243.jpg

100_1245.jpg

Two bikes will easily fit and three seems like a possibility if the center bike is loaded backwards.

So far I've removed the bench seat that came with it and shampooed all the upholstery. I still have the bench seat so it'll make a great roadtrip machine for 5 passengers. I added 6 tie down loops to secure the bikes for hauling and I plan to do 2 more restraining points. Motive force is supplied by the tried and true 5.8L Windsor engine and runs superbly. My first road trip in it to Isabella I averaged just over 15 mpg. Not as good as the old Ranger, but better than a few friends newer trucks. I'm a happy guy and will never consider a pick'em up truck for hauling the bikes again.

* In the next few years (2013 or 2014) Ford will be building an American version of the European Transit van. Do not confuse the Transit with the Transit Connect. The Transit is more like a Merc Sprinter. When the Transit hits showrooms I'll trade up.

yay! No cracked window!

yeah- the back of your Ranger looked pretty cramped with all your stuff in it

that looks good... most of my camping is for 4 now, though, so that wouldn't work for me, unless I pulled a trailer too

All it needs now is a potty and a shower, and it would be a nice girlie van. :smile_anim:

My rig is almost squared away. I'll put up a new post as soon as I have it ready.

Very Nice Jon...!!! :coolio:

I've seriously considered a similar set up...would be perfect for me, (though I may not need the taller version?...will a bike fit in the regular sized vans?

and I would sell the motorhome to a bigger family who needs the space...Like bikeslut!!!

Nice setup. I could never find inflatable mattresses that were worth it - leaks develop, and there's no insulation to them. I eventually went with a three section yoga/workout foam mat from Costco. Cut them down to fit on some folding side beds that I built in the Callen. No more cold nights. Yay.

Very Nice Jon...!!! :coolio:

I've seriously considered a similar set up...would be perfect for me, (though I may not need the taller version?...will a bike fit in the regular sized vans?

and I would sell the motorhome to a bigger family who needs the space...Like bikeslut!!!

Yes bikes will fit fine in regular size ford/chevy vans, I used to rent them on occasion to go riding before I got sprinter as usually cheaper than pickup.

This is a nice setup Jon, easier to get around and park than the bigger van like sprinter or the transit when they come out but the bigger vans are nice in that you can easily seperate dirty and clean areas and sleep in the van with the bikes which is nice when stopping out on the road to places to ride as I end up doing.

All it needs now is a potty and a shower, and it would be a nice girlie van. :smile_anim:

I was given a portable toilet with it. I've never used it but I have one. I'm also working on a mounting pole for my solar shower that will go on the backside with a sheet or shower curtain for privacy. Won't be worth much if it's windy, but I'll have a shower too.

Nice setup. I could never find inflatable mattresses that were worth it - leaks develop, and there's no insulation to them. I eventually went with a three section yoga/workout foam mat from Costco. Cut them down to fit on some folding side beds that I built in the Callen. No more cold nights. Yay.

I have a 1" memory foam mattress pad that I put on top of the mattress, insulated. I'll deal with the leaks when as they come. I think I paid all of $25 for it and have already spent 4 restfull nights on it. There is definitely a science to using it though. I have to inflate it early, than wait for it to stretch, inflate it again, lay on it for a bit, inflate it again, sleep on it for half the night, inflate it one last time and it's good for the weekend. :king:

Daijones, I know what you mean about separate areas for bikes and living. That would be ideal and what I intend to do with the next van. Since this van is only for the short term I found a really good condition shorter van with just about everything I wanted. We're calling this a trial run in which I learn on the cheap. Parking lots are still a PITA and I can't imagine what another 3 feet of length will be like.

Jon, it you really need to keep it clean you could still use a bike carrier off of the trailer hitch. Nice find.

I use a queen air mattress for multi day tenting trips.. very comfortable and only replaced once in several years, the INTEX brand is heavy duty, long wearing, less than $40 I believe?....worse problem is the cold air beneath you, which can be an issue, even with an REI 0 degree bag...but I insulate it well, and it's worth the comfort....

If you can find it, get a wide cushion from an RV, like that from the cab-over sleeping area of a Class C. It will stand up in the van (out of the way for transport), is VERY comfortable (I slept on one for a week in the bed of my truck) and it insulates well (I used an air mattress and froze, but have never had that issue with the cushion).

What I came up with was a hi-top 95 Ford Econoline E-150 (for now*).

When I saw that van my first thought was that would make a great moto van. :ph34r: Turns out it does! Nice van. :good:

Pasta,

Looks Good. May I suggest, just to finish the thing, a 40" Flat Screen hanging in front of the refer. With a sound system of course.

Riders could enjoy after hours image review.

If the ladies weren't interested in going riding, I would have got a van just like that. Should work perfect for you.

Pasta,

Looks Good. May I suggest, just to finish the thing, a 40" Flat Screen hanging in front of the refer. With a sound system of course.

Riders could enjoy after hours image review.

The old 12" will be getting replaced soon with something larger. Something under 20" unfortunatly.

Julie loves it. As Z racing has seen, she steals it everytime I'm out of town for a MTB trip. She joined me on the first camping trip and had a blast.