Beezzz

SAT phones

Has anyone used one in the back woods? How well did it work for you?

What does that SAT phone cost to set up?

What is the yearly service fee?

Currently, I use a "spot 2" instead of the SAT phone. If I am unconscious, it still will help me, as long as someone cares. Here is the best reason to be extra nice to your spouse. :wub:

The only problem I see with counting on a sat phone, spot, or gps is cloud cover. I love to ride when its overcast especially early mornings. Clouds have screwed up my gps more than once. I haven't ever used a spot and have only used a sat phone on the water. It might be that they operate on a more powerful signal than my phones gps. But I am thinkin that thick enough clouds would shut either one down. Anyway its something to remember when your out solo for sure.

Clouds do not cause a "user measurable" interference with GPS signals. Very accurate timing equipment can measure any degradation to the signals but your handheld GPS cannot. Rest assured your GPS will work regardless of the weather. Rain, sleet, snow, hail, hurricanes, the 1575Mhz frequency was chosen because it is considered a window through the weather. The only problem with GPS is it won't work underground or underwater.

I don't know what frequencies Spot uses, but chances are good the signal that you need help could get out in weather conditions that search and rescue could not get in to save you.

I'm sure the satellite phones operations are similar but I've heard that certain ground based conditions may exist in that the Satellite phone may not work. Such as a large scale power outage.

I've had cell phones that use wireless network towers for positioning. I wouldn't venture out using a cell phone (no matter how smart :crazy: it is) for navigation equipment.

Hmm. Guess that my phone gps works off of towers. I really should get a good handheld. Thanks for clearing that up for me. The last time I used my droid gps on a foggy day it said I was in vegas not alpine.

My Spot II has worked wonderfully while riding through the forests of British Columbia, Canada with thick, heavy overcast and driving down pouring rain for 10 straight hours. Only missed three of the 58 (every 10 min) reports. Granted, I wasn't under too much tree cover, but I was in deep valleys lined with trees. And that was with it on my Ogio Flight vest. Excellent piece of gear. (Also recommend the Klim Traverse pants/jacket. Kept me perfectly dry when it was cold and wet).

Something else to look at is a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB). They can be had from REI for about $250 and work not only on the SARSAT system (US Air Force monitors), but also 121.5, which is the air distress freq. This allows activation of the SARSAT system, but also allow any local aircraft that has a radio to home in on your beacon. Even a little Cessna. Sat phones are great if it isn't life threatening. If I'm in a dire situation, I want PLB. Unless my riding buddy is a trained medic, the PLB is my best friend, and will get me the help I need the quickest. And, like a sat phone, gives my location. I don't see too much of an advantage of a sat phone over a Spot/PLB. With PLB being the preferred for true emergent situations.

I ride with both, even when riding with a buddy.

I bought an Inmarsat Isatphone Pro last year. I have not had to use it yet. The phone cost 500 bucks, the case cost 35.00. I think activation was 60 dollars and the service plan bills me 15 dollars a month plus a dollar a minute if I ever do have to use it. I take it out and check on it every so often when I am out on the trail and it always seems to acquire all it's satellites each time.

Hmm. Guess that my phone gps works off of towers. I really should get a good handheld. Thanks for clearing that up for me. The last time I used my droid gps on a foggy day it said I was in vegas not alpine.

On a trip through Oakland Int Airport I placed my phone into the xray scanner with my other belongings. When my phone came out the other side it thought it was in Boston. Some kind of crazy time warp teleportation machine there, I tried to climb in it but almost got arrested... :ph34r:

I've got an older Keyacera sat phone that uses the Iridium Sat system. I've used it in Africa, Costa Rica, Baja and all over the SoWest. In the 4-5 years I kept it active it was a real confort, especially when we needed a helicopter in Baja to rescue an injured rider. When I've ridden alone I carry a cell ph, a gps and the sat ph, I guess I'm a little nervous about riding alone. I paid about $40 a mth for service and $450 for the phone and yes I want to sell it.

I have one I don't use, doesn't seem worth the cost locally. I do carry a PLB

I like the spot over the plb for situations when you are unable to activate the beacon....the spot leaves a cookie trail right to you. We used both a spot and a sat phone in November to retrieve the bike and stuck rider...twice. Two spots and a sat phone would have been better. One in the chase vehicle and one on the bike. Our sat phone rental for a week, with usage cost us about $150.