I truly enjoyed reading your stories thank you for sharing. Very inspirational.

Day 23: Silver Lake, CA to Death Valley, CA

Along the way we came across this landfill. We're 200 miles inland, far from the ocean where the sea gull normally calls home. So just how do they figure out where all these dumps are and which ones are delicious enough to warrant all that flight time?

While on a solo street bike tour a few years ago I stopped at Mono Lake before cutting across the 120 through Yosemite. There, I read a sign that stated Mono Lake to be the stopping place for 90% of the coast's seagull population. Not sure if that's true, but this landfill is not that far from Mono Lake ... as the seagull flies. :heh:

I just finished reading the whole story in one sitting (don't know why I waited so long to start :blush: ). This is an amazing write up of a very memorable trip. The writing style/skill is quite excellent! Thanks for allowing us to join you on your adventure :king:

Great ride report. Thanks for sharing.

You will love the divide. Get in touch me with if you need any info. I have ridden it once, parts of it twice. I was inspired to ride it because my good friend, first lady to race the divide on a mountain bike and star of "ride the divide", Mary Collier, talked me into it with the great pics and stories she came back with.

TAT is on my bucket list.

Zina, That was absolutely the best Ride write up ever !! Thanks so much for taking all that time to share the Trip of a lifetime experience with us.

This report should be pinned as an example of how it's done. Awesome stuff Wayne and Zina oh and Simon as well

Thank you all for taking the time to read it, and I really mean that. I like writing, but I'm pretty bad at taking the time to read anything that's longer than a couple of sentences. Non-fiction adventure lit is the exception. I read Joe Kane's "Running the Amazon" back in the 90s and I'll never forget what an impact it made on me. I'll never do anything as frightening or awesome as the Kanes, Krakauers and Cahills of the adventure lit world have done, but whatever I do I'll try to make a decent story of it.

I have to thank Wayne again for carrying Simon through most of the dirt. That extra weight on the back made riding a lot harder and it was something I could not have physically done. When doctors tell people with bad joints to lose weight, they aren't making a fluffy suggestion. I have no knee problems, but I could definitely feel them creak when I had to repeatedly sit and stand with Simon on my back.

The only thing I would do differently would be to add a steering damper. Even if it didn't spare me of a single get-off, I could've relaxed more at high speeds in the gravel. With so much weight over the rear, the front was especially subject to PMS-like mood swings. It made for some tense moments.

Oh, I would've also packed another set of tights. Wrapping my legs with ACE bandages worked until they unravelled and migrated down my leg. :rolleyes:

Thanks Zina for sharing yours Wayne’s and Simon’s adventure. It was so interesting, we were always checking for more. I glad you made it back but now it ended for all of us. Thanks again for sharing.

TW200,HD FXST

Massive thread bump from the past but this is one of SDAR's best ride reports

Read and Enjoy!

@PaulyPickles check out the dog moto-ing down!