Sign in to follow this  
MotoBro

2008 Kawasaki KLR 650

Kawasaki will offer an updated version of their venerable KLR650 dual-sport machine for next year, although the bike will be badged as a 2008 model. Below is Kawasaki's press release regarding the new model.

NEW 2008 KAWASAKI KLR650 REFINES ON-ROAD CAPABILITIES FOR IMPROVED TOURING PERFORMANCE

KL650E8F_93307.jpg

KL650E8F_93454.jpg

092306_650_top1.jpg

KL650E8F_40128_D1.jpg

KL650E8F_40127_D1.jpg

800px-2008_klr650_green.jpg

800px-2008_klr650_blue.jpg

Tougher, faster, more comfortable and better-performing than ever

The new KLR650 is well suited to life on the highways, deserts, mountains or even the challenging terrain of today’s urban jungle. For 21 years, the Kawasaki KLR650 has been the smart choice for riders seeking reliable on and off-road performance. Now, the 2008 KLR650 features thorough updates aimed at making it a better tour-ready dual-purpose bike than ever before

Featuring new suspension and brakes, the KLR650 is a fun, functional commuter during the week and an adept dirt road blaster on weekends. The new 41mm front forks now have less static sag for a taut, smooth ride on pavement. Front suspension travel is reduced from 9.1 in. to 7.9 in. A redesigned UNI-TRAK® linkage reduces sag and compliments the new front suspension by reducing rear wheel travel from 8.1 in. to 7.3 in. The 2008 KLR650 features enhanced stopping power, thanks to a new 280mm petal-style front brake rotor that’s similar to ones used on Kawasaki’s Ninja® sportbikes. Rear braking performance is also improved, thanks to a new rear brake calliper. These new suspension and brake upgrades boost the KLR650’s on-road performance, without diminishing its versatile off-road capabilities.

Several new refinements help make the KLR650 an even more worthy touring companion. There’s a larger rear luggage rack that’s 3.5 in. longer and 5.1 in. wider than the old rack, and a new, narrower tail section which makes it easier to mount saddlebags. Wind protection is also improved with all-new bodywork featuring a taller windscreen and large shrouds. A large 6.1-gallon fuel tank and miserly fuel economy mean the new KLR650 retains its legendary range between fill-ups.

Riders will be able to take full advantage of the KLR’s range, thanks to a revised seat design and new urethane foam for greater long-distance comfort. A high-capacity 36W alternator powers a new higher-output headlight and offers extra capacity to power the add-on electronic gadgets touring riders can’t live without.

The KLR650 motor, already renowned for being rugged, reliable and powerful, is now even better. There’s improved throttle response from a new throttle position sensor and revised ignition mapping, and revised cam timing contributes to improved high-rpm performance. A redesigned cylinder head boasts new intake porting for greater low-end torque and quicker throttle response in city traffic, as well as improved top-end power for high-speed cruising on the open road.

More on-road competence doesn’t mean less off-road fun. The KLR650 has a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor for access to any road open to licensed vehicles, and a tough engine guard protects the engine from loose rocks and gravel. With an optional Kawasaki tank bag and soft luggage on the larger standard rear rack, KLR650 owners can tote enough gear for an extended trip to any remote location.

All these improvements mean that more than ever, the new KLR650 is the ideal go-farther, multi-surface motorcycle for riders craving on and off-road adventure.

10005701711hx4.jpg

Features and Benefits

651cc Four-stroke Single

Revised cam timing contributes to improved high-rpm performance

New intake porting offers greater low-end torque

New piston rings are thinner and have more tension, for improved oil consumption

New one-piece exhaust pipe features smoother bends for improved exhaust efficiency at all rpm

Special tuning to improve low- and mid-range power

Light, silent cam chain reduces engine noise

Oil-level window permits easy and accurate inspection

Liquid Cooling

New Denso radiator is thin and lightweight. Fitted with a lightweight and thin cooling fan, the new radiator has a greater cooling area and offers a 20% increase in cooling efficiency

Maintains consistent engine temperatures for long engine life and sustained power during hard use

Allows tighter engine clearances for quieter running

Automatic fan keeps things cool in all conditions

Includes a temperature gauge

Four-valve Cylinder Head

Better breathing for more power at all rpm

Compact combustion chamber allows increased compression ratio with less detonation

The use of a secondary air (ASV) system helps reduce harmful exhaust emissions

Provides maximum valve area for optimum flow

Boosts low-end torque

Double Engine Balancer

Engine runs smoothly from idle to redline for rider comfort and less fatigue on long rides

Fully Transistorised Ignition

Fully transistorised ignition unit replaces the earlier analog CDI for better ignition performance

More precisely controls timing no matter how fast the rpm changes

Fewer moving parts for long, trouble-free life

Five-speed Transmission

Designed to handle the engine’s unique power characteristics

The engine’s broad torque curve only requires five speeds for off-road and relaxed highway cruising

O-ring drive chain reduces maintenance and increases chain service life

Handlebar-mounted Choke

Convenient location makes starting and warm-up easier

Revised Front Suspension

New, beefier 41mm front fork is offers increased rigidity. (Previous unit was 38mm)

Re-calibrated suspension offers less static sag and now offers greater on-road riding performance.

Front suspension stroke was reduced from 9.1 in. to 7.9 in.

Air-adjustable front forks

High-mounted front fender for any adventure-touring situation

Revised UNI-TRAK® Rear Suspension

Rear suspension travel was reduced from 8.1 in. to 7.3 in.

New D-section swingarm contributes to the bike’s excellent traction

Redesigned UNI-TRAK® linkage compliments front suspension changes

Progressive rate provides a smoother, more controlled ride

Features a five-way preload shock absorber with four-way rebound damping

Stronger Wheels

New 4mm spokes (up from 3.5mm) provide increased wheel stiffness, enhanced handling performance and improved steering response.

Semi-double Cradle Frame

Made of high-tech, round-section, high-tensile steel

Engine Guard

Protects engine from rocks and trail debris when the going gets tough

Detachable Rear Subframe

Simplifies maintenance by providing better access to the rear shock, airbox and carburetor

Large rear cargo rack included

Front and Rear Disc Brakes

New lightweight front and rear petal discs offer excellent braking.

Front brake disc diameter increased from 260mm to 280mm.

New rear calliper offers improved feel and power

Electric Starter

Easy and convenient starting

Lighting and USFS-Approved Spark Arrestor

New dual-bulb headlamp offers greater night visibility

New high-mounted turn signals improve the KLR650’s visibility at night or under poor visibility conditions

Rear taillight parking light

U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor

Large 6.1-gallon Fuel Tank

Significant capacity permits adventure touring

Additional Comfort and Touring Features

All-new bodywork features a larger fairing, which contributes to increased wind protection

New, easy-to-read instrument panel is mounted to the frame, contributing to lighter steering

Full instrumentation includes a large-face speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip meter and water temperature gauge

Firmer urethane seat foam offers greater comfort for long-distance riding

Seat height is lower, but reduced suspension sag means the rider’s ability to reach the ground is about the same

Alternator output has been increased from 14.5A to 17A. Total capacity is 36W to provide ample power for the new headlight as well as add-on grip heaters and other accessories

Optional extended warranty

Guest Hammerin Hammon

Wow, Thanks that thing sounds like a sweet bike. :) I would love one to ride to Cabo on, My wife likes it too.

Looks even more street focused than before...

does eagle Mike have a doohickey for this?

Looks even more street focused than before...

I agree - reduced suspension travel, monster tank, etc.......this bike doesn't appeal to me.....

I'm more interested in lightweight dirt bikes with blinkers than piggish road bikes with knobbies.....as the saying goes, different strokes (bores?) for different folks......one of the guys I rode the Dualies route with the past two weekends rides a 2006 dual sported 250cc Husqvarna......nice/light/agile.......basically a 230lb mountain bike with a motor......yet it can still maintain ~60mph on those brief/boring/necessary stretches of pavement between trails.....but clearly made for a different mission.....a day looper not a multiday, pannier ladden, traveler.....the new Kawi may be a great bike for that purpose, but my focus is elsewhere.....

2006 "50 State DOT Street Legal" Husqvarna TE250

Tend to agree that the bike looks more street... but I'm a big fan of the KLR. I was rescued on one once... :)

Anyway, I could see some farkles... maybe redo the top of the fairing Dakar style... let's see what the cheap b@s-turds on ADVrider do in the coming year.

I'll pass official judgment on 3/12/2008... :)

I can only imagine how happy the KLR guys are now that their 20 year old bike is finally getting updated.

:) Hello? Honda? Are you there?

Well, each bike is built for a different purpose... the KLR is a big bike which is very well rounded for the longer rides, commuting and just about everything.... with the huge gas tank.. rack etc... The 08 seems like a good upgrade but geared more for the street (or at least it seems)... I recently purchased my new BMW G650X which has incredible suspension, is very smooth in the street, good looking, but just does not have the fun factor of my lighter dirt oriented Husqvarna TE450 (when ridden on dirt)... now the roads are a pleasure in the heavier BMW, and the husky just feels like getting out in the dirt (out of place in the road).... :) Is there ever going to be a bike that just does everything perfect for dual-sport enthusiasts?? Well, I think there will always be some compromise....

Is there ever going to be a bike that just does everything perfect for dual-sport enthusiasts??

HONDA XR650L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on now!

O.Key Bum, I'm going to get one tomorrow!!! Do they come in blue like yours?? :):blink::)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

O.Key Bum, I'm going to get one tomorrow!!! Do they come in blue like yours?? :bb::bb::lol:

You see the light now :i-m_so_happy:

Less suspension? If I had any less it would hurt. Sounds like we are regressing.

Sounds like we are regressing.

:i-m_so_happy: Looks a little like that Mil Spec Diesel you posted a while ago, carguy

Sounds like we are regressing.

:) Looks a little like that Mil Spec Diesel you posted a while ago, carguy

The Diesel had more travel I think, and 100MPG. Imagine 2.5 gl tank going 250 miles. I still want to ride a Diesel Dirtbike. :D

I heard some dealers should be getting 08's in the next few weeks!! Who, from SDAR GREEN TEAM, is getting the first one??? :blink:

I heard some dealers should be getting 08's in the next few weeks!! Who, from SDAR GREEN TEAM, is getting the first one??? :blink:

I sat on one two weeks ago at North county house of Motorcycles off of emerald. The salesman came over an told me what a good dual sport bike it was. Then we laughed and laughed! Good times! It looks good, but is more oriented towards street. They way I crash it would be fugly real quick!

Guest Hammerin Hammon

I think it looks just like the KTM> 640 LC4. Less than half the price and much more reliable. :unsure:

Looks like they are catering to the 'cant afford a beemer' segment of the dualsport population. I've heard mixed reviews on the bike. I'll reserve judgement until next year too. I wonder if they fixed the doohicky. I heard they did not, because that would be admting that it was (is) in-fact flawed, all those years.

Looks like they are catering to the 'cant afford a beemer' segment of the dualsport population. I've heard mixed reviews on the bike. I'll reserve judgement until next year too. I wonder if they fixed the doohicky. I heard they did not, because that would be admting that it was (is) in-fact flawed, all those years.

Latest I heard on the doohickey is that they changed it a bit, but it hasn't fixed the problem. I like the "classic" KLR more than the new one.

I agreeeeee I bottom out my 06 KLR now :blink: This new 08 KLR is going to be a better street bike than dirt because of the weight and neg. suspension so called improvements. But for someone who wants to get out and have fun and not be competitive it will fit the need especially for us guys over 50 :blink::blink: Have fun and ride safe THE DOC.