I've been researching video cameras and I'm leaning towards the GoPro Hero 960. The camera's main task will be to capture photos at set intervals so I can stop fumbling with my camera in-flight, which has as of yet not caused me problems, but you know it's just a matter of time before I run off the road while trying to immortalize a grazing moose at 40mph.

As far as I can tell, both the GoPro 1080 and 960 capture 5 megapixel stills so the images should be identical, right? Or are the optics different enough that the 1080 would take better photos in lower light conditions?

The new Contour GPS does still shots, but I've read that its battery life is not good.

One more thing: I've read about fogging problems with the GoPro, hence the anti-fog inserts that they sell. I'm wondering if that's more of an issue with people who do snow sports because they're spending time in lower temps. Anybody have problematic fogging on cold morning rides?

I can't answer specifically, but that won't stop me from making generalities, even incorrect ones.

But.

Resolution does not make image quality any more than horsepower makes a good motorcycle. (wow, I like that)

Suspension, power delivery, ergonomics, reliability are bigger factors in choosing a bike, just as lens quality, ability to focus, control over aperture and shutter speed(shutter speed- very important) are greater concerns than simple resolution. And a crappy image at 1080p resolution will make a crappy, albeit high resolution, image.

There are very few video cameras capable of touching the quality of a still camera, with the notable exception of something called a RED. A basic camera setup, with one lens and CF module is available at the low-low price of around $35-40k.

The gopros are great cameras for a very narrow range of purposes, but they're lousy still cameras. You MIGHT get a decent image, but it's unlikely.

In another 5-10 years? Maybe so.

I have seen a lot of these pictures from the GoPro over on Cafe Husky. And while the pics aren't the greatest, they aren't horrible either. I have seen far worse phone pictures. I have the 960 HD model, but I haven't had a chance to take it for a spin yet. I think you'll get some acceptable shots out of the unit, but nothing will replace a real camera for nice scenic shots. After all, you do have to stop and compose to get a good shot. All else is just coincidence.

Zina, if it's misty or raining or conditions will allow condensation (fogging), then it WILL condense on the lens, especially if you use the waterproof cover.

sooo, interestingly(*to me anyway) enough, i have been looking at potential uses for these at work...(*work research, really!)

so here's what i have found to be "options" (btw, *MY needs are a 1080p/30fps, timecode in/out, how big sd card potential, degree of field, what codec it uses, white balance, and any "extras" i can get)

here's what i have found: in order of my CURRENT preference....my notes right of item linked...

Tachyon: Tachyon MicroHD ...SUPER small, but VERY simple

GoPro: HD Helmet Pro ....like but, sorta older tech(*to me)

RePlay1080: Replay XD1080 ....damn near impossible to break..NICE feature..billet aluminum

ContourPlus: Contour+ ...has most of my needs filled with it, we'll see.

B)...all these were in another window, just copy/pasted what i had so far...RePlay and Contour are neck/neck, also of note, Contour does have a lower camera for like $300 i think....the one above is $500ish.

NOTE:* My uses are for video, not necessarily still pix so take that into consideration...

I've got a GoPro HD 1080P camera, the helmet model. I like it. My wife got it for me, for Xmas, off of eBay with a case too.

So I've been looking at all sorts of video on YouTube to determine quality. There seems to be a lot of artifacting where motion and detail are involved. Is that more because YouTube compresses uploaded videos?

I am having the damndest time making a decision.

Well, one has to consider: Not just the camera that creates the image, but the delivery system.

I rarely make any prints of any image. 99% of what I shoot for business and personal will never go beyond the web. That means the resolution of the images are far less important than the quality.

So I've been looking at all sorts of video on YouTube to determine quality. There seems to be a lot of artifacting where motion and detail are involved. Is that more because YouTube compresses uploaded videos?

I have had the same problem with still shots. I finally figured how to sharpen up images for website use a couple of months ago. I don't know how you address that problem with video. :unsure:

Examples....

These are still shots taken with my non HD GoPro. Camera was set to take a shot every 5 seconds.

PICT0033.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

PICT0036.jpg

PICT0037.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0039.jpg

PICT0040.jpg

PICT0041.jpg

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

PICT0043.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0046.jpg

PICT0047.jpg

Can't wait for conditions like that again!

Examples....

These are still shots taken with my non HD GoPro. Camera was set to take a shot every 5 seconds.

PICT0033.jpg

These can be cleaned up up pretty nicely for website use. The main thing about any of the Go Pro cameras is that the super wide angle effect will be in all the shots. If you don't mind that, then the camera works pretty well.

These can be cleaned up up pretty nicely for website use. The main thing about any of the Go Pro cameras is that the super wide angle effect will be in all the shots. If you don't mind that, then the camera works pretty well.

Thanks for the pics.

Still can't make up my mind...

I love my GoPro. Had the old one then got the HD. Just buy a few big SD cards and set your bike up to recharge the GoPro at night. Then shoot video while riding and use your still camera when stopped.

Covered in Video

Examples....

PICT0033.jpg

I would humbly and respectfully disagree. Look at all the shadow transitions and shadow area- they're purple. In the example, look at al the edges- around the levers, the front fender bag, the rockpile in the corner, my swingarm and caliper, etc. And none of it is sharp- not a single image. Sure, you can apply sharpening in post, but it will nt sharpen an unsharp image- it will just crunch it so badly the loss of quality is huge.

Granted- in these images, the terrain is beautiful, and well as the conditions.

Have a look at this image:

PICT0042.jpg

See where the cliff edges meet the sky? All that purple fringing? It's called CA:

In optics, chromatic aberration (CA, also called achromatism or chromatic distortion) is a type of distortion in which there is a failure of a lens to focus all colors to the same convergence point. It occurs because lenses have a different refractive index for different wavelengths of light (the dispersion of the lens). The refractive index decreases with increasing wavelength.

Chromatic aberration manifests itself as "fringes" of color along boundaries that separate dark and bright parts of the image, because each color in the optical spectrumcannot be focused at a single common point. Since the focal length f of a lens is dependent on the refractive index n, different wavelengths of light will be focused on different positions.

CA exists because of the GoPro's cheap fixed lens. I'm not degrading the GoPro- it can create some fantastically interesting video, and it's unbelieveably cheap. But when it comes to substituting for a still camera:

I must protest!

I'd love to see those same images shot on a still camera (even a basic point-and-shoot) as a comparison. Have a look at the edges of my bike (and me- but I am rough around the edges) nothing is sharp, colors are muted and weird.

Go back through the images and look again. Try to find any area of sharp focus, and look for the purple fringing and purple 1/4 tones- the shadows of rocks and any area of sharp contrast.

I'm something of an expert on post-production, and these will not clean up anywhere near the quality of a still camera.

I must protest![/size][/font][/size]

I'd love to see those same images shot on a still camera (even a basic point-and-shoot) as a comparison. Have a look at the edges of my bike (and me- but I am rough around the edges) nothing is sharp, colors are muted and weird.[/size][/font]

Go back through the images and look again. Try to find any area of sharp focus, and look for the purple fringing and purple 1/4 tones- the shadows of rocks and any area of sharp contrast.

I'm something of an expert on post-production, and these will not clean up anywhere near the quality of a still camera.

I don't think anybody on this thread endorsed the GoPro as having the same quality to replace a regular still camera. :unsure:

Zina was asking about the still-image capability of these types of cameras- my point is one should not rely on them for that purpose- they're poor quality stills.

Instead, shot and shoot a REAL camera for anything worth capturing.

They're going on a fantastic and unique trip, and I'd LOVE to see fantastic unique images.

Most of my still go pro pics are in my photobucket account (default folder) if you wanted to take a look for other rides...maybe I rode through a purple puddle!

I bought the 1080p Love it, but the only stills I took were of me looking at the camera trying to figure out the settings without my glasses. I deleted the pics, sorry everybody. :blush:

Most of my still go pro pics are in my photobucket account (default folder) if you wanted to take a look for other rides...maybe I rode through a purple puddle!

What's the link to your photobucket account?

...but the only stills I took were of me looking at the camera trying to figure out the settings without my glasses. :blush:

Hahahahaha!

And Paul, don't fret cuz we're still dragging along regular cameras. A product testimonial...After destroying two Canon PowerShot cameras, I came to embrace the fact that cameras hate me so a little while back I got a Pentax Optio W80 -- waterproof, dustproof, shockproof. I keep it on a leash so when I'm riding I can pull it out of my pocket, snap a shot, and then drop it back in (more like fumble it back in). On the Bar 10 trip this year I didn't realize it had been dangling on the leash and banging off the bike. A corner shock bumper was ripped off and the battery door was open and the battery was gone -- the camera looked bad. I thought for sure it was toast, but I slipped in a spare battery and it worked fine. I guess they really did plan for that camera to take some abuse.

As for my Canon G10, thanks to a spilled cup of coffee, I now have to perform a manual assist to open the lens cover. :dead:

And Paul, don't fret cuz we're still dragging along regular cameras.

As for my Canon G10, thanks to a spilled cup of coffee, I now have to perform a manual assist to open the lens cover. :dead:

Whew!

<fretting over>

I'd just hate for you to skip shooting a beautiful scene thinking you'd captured it on your GoPro.

The G10 is absolutely worth carrying, and worth a little manual love to get it working. One of the finest (compact) cameras made so far. You'll find some CA on that camera as well, especially when pointed towards the sun. But about the best one can do without packing a decent DSLR with a VERY GOOD lens.

How's that critter? (the dog, not Wayne).

How's that critter? (the dog, not Wayne).

The critter continues his training. He's a tolerable 15 lbs to haul around, but it would be awesome if we could get him down to 7. I guess the upside of him being 15 is that he'll make a better meal when we're on our 14th day of being lost.

I guess the upside of him being 15 is that he'll make a better meal when we're on our 14th day of being lost.

Remember, with your tougher cuts of meat, you need to use a very low-and-slow cooking technique. A quick sear followed by a long braise in a savory broth will result in a fork-tender flavorful meal full of nutrition-laden goodness.

Also, the coat of the Jack Russell Terrier has been long-valued among the footwear cognoscenti- look for a local trading post and hold out for the best price. Alternatively, one can have the terrier coat made into custom spike-heeled slingbacks for that formal affair.

...... and worth a little manual love to get it working.

The reason I check to see who's teaching Photog 101 before signing up... :)