DigDug

DigDug Racing in the Baja 500 - Go Get 'Em !

We all had a great time last year. I wish I could repeat this trip. It was a blast.

this year SDAR people can cheer for Dig Doug. 253X.

June 4-5 2011

Sitting in the campground in Ensenada. And they have interweb!

Pre-running this week. Tomorrow I get to ride the parts down by the beach, should be nice! Tuesday out to the east to pre-run my section.

Best of Luck Doug. We will be pulling for you!

We all had a great time last year. I wish I could repeat this trip. It was a blast.

June 4-5 2011

Pre-running this week. Tomorrow I get to ride the parts down by the beach, should be nice! Tuesday out to the east to pre-run my section.

Guest Crusty

June 4-5 2011

Very happy for you.

It's going to be hard to stay here and work this week,

especially after seeing all your teams trucks and toy haulers honk and wave when you drove by my house.coolio.gif

I am jealous, that you get to race on a Honda.rolleyes.gif

I should be able to leave here Thursday morning.

I want to spend a day surfing before getting to Ensenada, maybe stay here.http://www.lasrocas.com/resort/

There are some great waves, it's a safe place, with a great pool, swim up bar.

Last year we rode down with a guy on a Harley, that didn't surf. He also had a great time.

Craig.

Guest Crusty

It's starting to look really good for this motto surf, Baja 500 Adventure.coolio.gif

This is Surflines report for Ensenada.

NORTH PACIFIC SWELL/SURF ACTIVITY: Short to mid period NW wind/groundswell mix will be fading on Tuesday, for mostly waist-head high surf. New round of similar size NW windswell due for Wednesday into Friday, then those waves drop off going into the weekend. NOTE - Beachbreaks with a good balance to the NW and South swell combo will offer some crossed up peaks/bowls through the next several days.

We pre-ran the beach section this morning. I played wingman to the rider that will be doing that section. Beautiful roads right overlooking the cliffs. Even got to roost around in the sand on the beach for a few minutes!

We ran into a snag when the course encountered a locked gate. According to the rancher "Nobody talked to him about the course coming through his land" (not very believable) and "yesterday, racers were leaving all the gates open, letting his cows out and someone hit his dog going too fast." So, about 5 bikers, 1 quadder, and two pre-runner trucks worth of guys schmoozed him into opening up the gate after we called and let him talk to the SCORE officials.

Tomorrow I make the 3.5 hour drive to pre-run my section way out east. It's supposed to be pretty whooped out and loaded with silt. I guess I'll see! Still need to get some saddle time on the race bike to get the feel for it. So far I've been pre-running on the KTM, which has been working great!

Let's start a new thread for 2011 Baja 500........and DigDug racing in it.

DigDug is racing a section in this year's Baja 500.....lucky dog ! GOOD LUCK !

He's been down there pre-running the last few days.....

Guest Crusty

Let's start a new thread for 2011 Baja 500........and DigDug racing in it.

Thank's Randy.

Good Luck Doug, should be an awesome adventure for sure!!!

Pre-ran my section Tues and Weds. Here are a few observations:

Silt sucks!!! (Yeah, I stole a line from Dust to Glory, but it's true)

Monster whoops for miles and miles on end (darned trophy trucks) suck!!!

Deep sand washes make for great rest sections at full throttle, unless they're full of rocks and have 4 foot trophy truck whoops - then they suck too!!!

It's a challenging section but lots of fun.

Today is rider registration/rest day, and tomorrow is tech inspection day - time to bring the camera and take pictures!

Our bike goes off the line at right about 6:30am on Saturday morning

Please, please ride reasonably safe (I know, it's a race) and watch out the darned trophy trucks.

Please, please ride reasonably safe (I know, it's a race) and watch out the darned trophy trucks.

Doug,

I agree with Paul, please take care of yourself. Even professionals like Ox can die doing this stuff. I wish you the best of luck and will be following you guys.

What mile markers will you be riding from/to and what will your number be?

name='paulmbowers' timestamp='1307067956' post='106224']Please, please ride reasonably safe (I know, it's a race)

Doug,

I agree with Paul, please take care of yourself.

Don't read any of that crap! :heh: Ride the wheels off that bike!! Have fun......it's not very often you get to do something like this! :lol:

It's a challenging section but lots of fun.......Our bike goes off the line at right about 6:30am on Saturday morning

Sounds like a Hoot.........very cool that you were able to get the time off to do this before you head out......are you wearing a SPOT w tracking? I'll be thinking about you out there on Sat.....Have FUN/Stay Safe

Tech inspection today. We bumped into Crusty over there and snapped some pictures. I think he got one of me standing by the race bike with Coco (from Coco's Corner). Checked out some of the festivities. It's a total party!

What mile markers will you be riding from/to and what will your number be?

We're in the sportsman-over class. Bike number 253x. I have a relatively short section, getting on at Saldano - RM 267 and taking the bike down to Borrego Summit - RM 207.

Click here for a google map of the course

My section starts from the dry lake bed at the northeast corner (Under the word "coyote" on the map) and runs south to where it meets the freeway (By the words "El Arrajal" on the map).

Are you wearing a SPOT w tracking?

I'll have mine with my for emergency purposes, but I don't have the tracking service enabled. Dan has a Spot with tracking, but we don't have a good way to mount it to the bike and don't want to take the time to pass it between riders at the pits. It would be cool, but one more thing to mess with.

We're safe and sound. Just went out last night to drown our DNF sorrows.

I blasted my section pretty quickly, even picked off a few bikes. We changed the tire and air filter in the pits at the end of my section and the oil was pretty low. Filled it and sent the bike off. At the next stop, it was very hard starting, but we got it going. And the following rider had a hard time keeping it running on the course. They tried some quick troubleshooting, but nothing helped, so they loaded up the bike at about RM 377.

It was definitely an experience. We were in 5th place in our class when they loaded the bike, so doing pretty well except for the mechanical.

We're safe and sound......It was definitely an experience. We were in 5th place in our class when they loaded the bike, so doing pretty well except for the mechanical.

Congrats Doug!